Thornycroft S4L Mitsubishi 1800

Terryb

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, Slim said:

The Thorneycroft contact page was last updated in 2015 so I doubt they are still trading.

That would be around the time that the owner (tony IIRC) retired, so you are likely correct. They did used to be at Preston, Lancs in those days.

Thanks for all your attempts guys. TB I am aware that it is a Mitsubishi part, Also, yes it appears that they have ceased trading not surprising really as the said part was very badly utilised by Thorny as an anchor for the secondary alternator. Honestly, did they really think the thermostat housing was strong enough. ? Anyway, I have managed to track a new one down at £110.74 + VAT so I am getting it welded as we speak. . . . .How Much !!?

• Happy 1
  • Horror 1

13 hours ago, Terryb said:

Thanks for all your attempts guys. TB I am aware that it is a Mitsubishi part, Also, yes it appears that they have ceased trading not surprising really as the said part was very badly utilised by Thorny as an anchor for the secondary alternator. Honestly, did they really think the thermostat housing was strong enough. ? Anyway, I have managed to track a new one down at £110.74 + VAT so I am getting it welded as we speak. . . . .How Much !!?

Good idea to get a new alternator bracket welded. You don't want to be shelling out for a new thermostat housing just coz the alternator bracket broke it.

Professional bodgery at its worst.

16 hours ago, Terryb said:

That does surprise me. The guy who marinised these engines was normally very good. Made me a couple of "improved" parts for our Vetus a few years ago. 
Not surprised at the price of the housing for a Japanese based engine (which is made in India.) I bought a stat housing for a Nissan some years ago and that was 80 quid then.
I am trying to imagine how the stat housing was used for a second alternator. Did they use the bolt in the middle which is for bleeding purposes?
This is a pic I found of a  Vetus with twin alt setup (no idea if this is original Vetus.) If I understand correctly this appears to have both alts thus.

m4_17_side-399x399.jpg

Edited by Guest

As at Nov 07 the Mitsubishi part numbers were 31A46-00071 for build code 61DM, superseded by 31A46-00073 for all build codes (61DM, 65DM & T61DM). These are for vetus engines, but I'm fairly sure that yours will be the same build code. They are mutually interchangeable parts.

Sitting the alternator on top of the thermostat cover, and transferring all the load into the housing was not one of Thorneycrofts finest moments.

Edited by Eeyore

14 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

As at Nov 07 the Mitsubishi part numbers were 31A46-00071 for build code 61DM, superseded by 31A46-00073 for all build codes (61DM, 65DM & T61DM). These are for vetus engines, but I'm fairly sure that yours will be the same build code. They are mutually interchangeable parts.

Sitting the alternator on top of the thermostat cover, and transferring all the load into the housing was not one of Thorneycrofts finest moments.

Is it the actual main mount of the 2nd alt that is atop the housing? I haven't seen a Thornycroft with two alts. so trying to get an idea of how it was done,
Cheers.

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Is it the actual main mount of the 2nd alt that is atop the housing? I haven't seen a Thornycroft with two alts. so trying to get an idea of how it was done,
Cheers.

This image from the web shows the mounting for the upper alternator, the lower alternator (underneath on the opposite side) uses a fabricated mounting arrangement, which if memory serves uses the pto cover bolts.

A simple reversion to single alternator using the standard mount for this engine can be made using this single point mounting version of the common A127 alternator. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CANAL-BOAT-ALTERNATOR-HIGH-OUTPUT-75-AMP-A127-2-POINT-FIX-DUAL-TERMINATION/172013928453?epid=1649229235&hash=item280cd44005:g:alQAAOSw5VFWL5D~

Assuming of course that there is enough room in front of the exhaust manifold used by Thorneycroft.

image.png.927f31ca6a8ac76ebe9eed65e2081292.png14224824_1100731146676575_4699453183788834783_n.jpg

Edited by Eeyore

29 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

This image from the web shows the mounting for the upper alternator, the lower alternator (underneath on the opposite side) uses a fabricated mounting arrangement, which if memory serves uses the pto cover bolts.

A simple reversion to single alternator using the standard mount for this engine can be made using this single point mounting version of the common A127 alternator. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CANAL-BOAT-ALTERNATOR-HIGH-OUTPUT-75-AMP-A127-2-POINT-FIX-DUAL-TERMINATION/172013928453?epid=1649229235&hash=item280cd44005:g:alQAAOSw5VFWL5D~

Assuming of course that there is enough room in front of the exhaust manifold used by Thorneycroft.

image.png.927f31ca6a8ac76ebe9eed65e2081292.png14224824_1100731146676575_4699453183788834783_n.jpg

That is interesting, thanks. It is not what I imagined.
I can see from the photo that there is a lot of leverage on the stat housing and bolts. Glad I didn't take up this conversion for my Vetus when offered!