River Trent near Cranfleet

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

When heading downstream from Cranfleet,  after about 1400m there is a rather unclear sign.  Keep left to avoid three shoal.  Here us a FB  thread that shows what happens if you don't.  I will write to CRT in due course. The signs either side are very clear!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1823880487890231?view=permalink&id=2313846575560284

DSC_3438.JPG

In fairness its pretty obvious where to go on the approach to that sign without anything being written on it. I dont do Farcebook as no 12 year old on board so cant see the link.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

In fairness its pretty obvious where to go on the approach to that sign without anything being written on it. I dont do Farcebook as no 12 year old on board so cant see the link.

The pointy bit is pointing to the left,  that is the way I would have gone. 

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

I always use the trent charts its saves things like this happening, I was on the trent last week small tides and very little fresh coming down

I luuuuuurv the Trent.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You are not missing much.

Person goes wrong way around marker, grounds boat, tries to blame everyone else for their mistake.

• Greenie 2

On 03/06/2019 at 09:39, peterboat said:

I always use the trent charts its saves things like this happening, I was on the trent last week small tides and very little fresh coming down

Were very useful on the run from Cromwell to Torksey yesterday.  My depth sounder got down to 1.5m in places, which surprised me a bit.  Maxm was 8m. DSC_3733.JPG.9961958f8c263331a356b37f68173e2e.JPG

20 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I don't think it get below that (1.5m) between Torksey and Burton Waters... 

Yes it does - I draw 1.3mts, (4' 6") we struggled (really struggled) to get as far as Saxilby.

At Saxilby - that was 'IT', no way are we going to get past Saxilby.

No amount of pushing shoving and 'floating her off' resulted in getting past the Pizza shop (is there a link I wonder ?)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes it does - I draw 1.3mts, (4' 6") we struggled (really struggled) to get as far as Saxilby.

At Saxilby - that was 'IT', no way are we going to get past Saxilby.

No amount of pushing shoving and 'floating her off' resulted in getting past the Pizza shop (is there a link I wonder ?)

Bad luck. I didn't stop at Saxilby yesterday as it was pouring with rain.

I am pretty sure the depth sounder didn't beep at me - the alarm was set at 1.5m. The reading on the way into Torksey lock aligned with the marks on the side of the lock (1.3m = 4'6"). Anyway, different boats etc.  

Cranfleet isn't on the tidal river & I've never needed charts above Holme Lock in many years on the Trent. On the tidal river they are clearly a good thing for anyone not totally familiar with the river 

Lately I'm beginning to think they could be a good idea further upstream. With current low water levels & the wretched hydro installation at Beeston still apparently going full bore, even my narrowboat feels to be scraping the bottom at certain of the "pinch points".

As it draws slightly less than 3ft static (perhaps 3ft 6" under power on the river), that's worrying!

10 minutes ago, trackman said:

Cranfleet isn't on the tidal river & I've never needed charts above Holme Lock in many years on the Trent. On the tidal river they are clearly a good thing for anyone not totally familiar with the river 

Lately I'm beginning to think they could be a good idea further upstream. With current low water levels & the wretched hydro installation at Beeston still apparently going full bore, even my narrowboat feels to be scraping the bottom at certain of the "pinch points".

As it draws slightly less than 3ft static (perhaps 3ft 6" under power on the river), that's worrying!

There does seem to be less of an issue with water abstraction on the Trent, compared to (eg) Nene and Great Ouse, where the water abstracted (for Rutland and Graffham water respectively) can reduce the flow practically to nil (the minimum for the Great Ouse is 1.5 cumecs, which is practically nothing).  I suppose this might be to do with the large number of power stations needing a good supply of water for the cooling towers. Not sure if any are still in use of course ...

18 minutes ago, trackman said:

We were at Beeston the other week and yes the Trent is low, whats wrong with the Hydro scheme? I noticed water was still going over weirs so surely its better to make electric rather than it flow over a weir?

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the slow response! Hydro is excellent, that's not the issue.

Because it lowers the water level above the weir, it renders the CRT stream strength gauge next to useless. The gauge relies on water level to give an indication of how hard the river is flowing, but the hydro system lowers the level whilst still causing a strong flow.

My experience is that the gauge can be in the green but the flow is what would have accorded with it being in the yellow, or even red, before the hydro was there.

6 hours ago, trackman said:

Sorry for the slow response! Hydro is excellent, that's not the issue.

Because it lowers the water level above the weir, it renders the CRT stream strength gauge next to useless. The gauge relies on water level to give an indication of how hard the river is flowing, but the hydro system lowers the level whilst still causing a strong flow.

My experience is that the gauge can be in the green but the flow is what would have accorded with it being in the yellow, or even red, before the hydro was there.

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Some of the EA gauges measure flow,  but most level.  The former are more useful for the reasons set out. 

Gaugemap.co.uk

To be honest I thought they measured levels as well, they do on the S&SY anyway and we have plenty of hydro on there