Second day living onboard my narrowboat... A little lost!

nashworth

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Why would I know where that mad lady is?

.?

As it happens no, not anymore she moored up behind me a few years ago and I haven't managed to shift her on  ;)

Ho oh oh...... you in big trouble now Monkey Boy. :giggles:

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Mac its called solar panels and they run compressor fridge fantastically

Macs boat roof isnt big enough to hold enough solar panels to run a fridge for at least five months of the year innitt. The square root of diddly squatt for instance in january and february.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Macs boat roof isnt big enough to hold enough solar panels to run a fridge for at least five months of the year innitt. The square root of diddly squatt for instance in january and february.

I used to have a 100 watt solar panel which ran my fridge for most of the year, I think 1200 watts of solar will go on most 57 foot boats which makes a hell of a difference to your life

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It looks to be fairly well blessed with roof, considering its compact size!

I was going to post in "pictures of other members boats" as we spotted it the other day, but here will do just as well.

IMG_6425.JPG

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

it's an optimal allusion .....  probably .................   coat   :boat:

Yes, the things some people will go to make their boat look longer! ?

Edited by cuthound

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

it's an optimal allusion .....  probably .................   coat   :boat:

It is indeed.  Alan's pic makes the pontoon look tiny, but in fact it's over half the length of the boat.  I have considered solar panels but they wouldn't leave room on the roof  for me or Little Dog to walk around, as we frequently do.  I get on fine without them as I rarely stop for more than a day when cruising and steal power from Steve my neighbour when at Sowerby Bridge.

14 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Can I just say to the OP not to get too wound up over this?  I don't understand most of it either, and neither do I have any fancy gadgets to monitor everything.  Cygnet is on her 3rd set of batteries (2nd starter) in 15 years, and when the present ones are goosed I will buy some more from wherever I happen to be at the time. 

All I do know is to use as little electricity as possible, and run the engine for a while most days (preferably while moving).  I do have a copy of 'The 12 volt Bible for Boats' which I think I may have looked at 14 years ago.  I don't have an inverter - in fact the OP hasn't actually mentioned anything she needs an inverter for, has she?

What I did take on board years ago is that 12V fridges are very hungry for electric, so I use gas.

There, how's that for tempting fate?

At this time of year our fridge is by far the biggest use of power on our boat. But I wouldn't call it power hungry. It is really quite frugal.

Modern 12v fridges are expensive but the compressors really do not run for very long and when they do run they are far more efficient than the previous ones. 

That said our small fridge was over £500. So not a cheap purchase.

• Greenie 1

On 04/06/2019 at 18:09, mrsmelly said:

This is a strange expression when a mathematician thinks about it, because if a number is between 0 and 1, and surely "diddly sqautt" would be, its square root is bigger, e.g. the square root of a quarter is a half.

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, Peter X said:

This is a strange expression when a mathematician thinks about it, because if a number is between 0 and 1, and surely "diddly sqautt" would be, its square root is bigger, e.g. the square root of a quarter is a half.

Not as strange as the square root of -1, which turns out to be really useful

41 minutes ago, Peter X said:

or minus a half, which is smaller.

Just remember nashworth, you are not alone!

Near on Nine years down the line of boat ownership, electrickery on boats still confuses the hell out of me. 

We have a Smartguage. It does help as it gives a general idea of state of charge in an easily readable format for a numpty like me.

Just remember, what you take out, you have to replace. It takes longer to put it back in!

Only use 240v appliances when on shoreline, or depending on your set up, when the engine and or travelpower is on.

I freak out if we go below 70% state of charge. This is somewhat anal, but our battery bank is now into it's ninth year.

I would say, four hours charge a day, is the well balanced way. Others will disagree.

On 05/06/2019 at 08:17, Naughty Cal said:

At this time of year our fridge is by far the biggest use of power on our boat. But I wouldn't call it power hungry. It is really quite frugal.

Modern 12v fridges are expensive but the compressors really do not run for very long and when they do run they are far more efficient than the previous ones. 

Most 12v fridges are frugal in terms of how much power they draw at any point in time. It's the fact that they're switched on for long periods of time that makes them power hungry. That's why I opted for a gas fridge too.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/tiny_loads.html