Cable size

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Sanddancer said:

What size cable is okay to go from the battery charger to the batteries?

Ta

Whatever size is suitable for the current output of the charger - we cannot answer directly as we don't know if you have a 4 amp charger or a 120 amp charger.

A properly crafted question will result in informative answers.

If you are buying a new charger then the advised cable size will be in the installation instructions.  For a second hand one you or someone else will need to do some calculations.

N

5 hours ago, Murflynn said:

.......   piece of string really innit?

hint - many chargers are supplied with leads to connect to the battery.  ......................  just a hint  :rolleyes:

It has 15mm that came with it and fixed in by a electrician on boat it passed bed first time now at least test I've been told it's not sufficient.

From charger to batteries is about 3'

But what is the charger output and is that 15mm an outside diameter or conductor cross sectional area in sq mm.

Although the main battery and starter cables must be 25sq mm CCSA it should not apply to charging cables. I suspect a BSC inspector may be a little out of line here.

1 hour ago, Sanddancer said:

It has 15mm that came with it and fixed in by a electrician on boat it passed bed first time now at least test I've been told it's not sufficient.

who told you that?  ignore - use the existing cables that should be long enough to reach 3ft.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

But what is the charger output and is that 15mm an outside diameter or conductor cross sectional area in sq mm.

Although the main battery and starter cables must be 25sq mm CCSA it should not apply to charging cables. I suspect a BSC inspector may be a little out of line here.

I thought the same 

Thank you

3 hours ago, Sanddancer said:

Not sufficient for what?

Does it not work, or something?

Some context would help. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not sufficient for what?

Does it not work, or something?

Some context would help. 

The problem is for the last 3 years the surveyors have an annual conference with insurers where they get the latest "how to ensure you are seen to earn your fee" hints.

Electrical stuff is very common  now, all the surveyors have say in their report is that it would be uninsurable.....and it has to be done.

Advising boats which have had outlet pipes not quite 10 cm above waterline for the last 25 years and havnt sunk that they will be uninsurable now if the pipes arent looped to the recommended height .

Advising that  boats with 4 anodes now need midships anodes, even if no pitting is present.

Advising boats that have a shower pump outlet not looped above 10cm above waterline even though the boat is fitted with a marine stopcock for river use...

Etc etc etc

11 hours ago, Sanddancer said:

I thought the same 

Thank you

If this has resulted from a BSS and the inspector failed the boat and did not simply advise but still passed the boat then you really should contact the BSS office and ask them to confirm the failure or pay for a re-inspection.

35 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If this has resulted from a BSS and the inspector failed the boat and did not simply advise but still passed the boat then you really should contact the BSS office and ask them to confirm the failure or pay for a re-inspection.

Having done that (in the past*) all you 'get' "we will discuss with the examiner and consider it, and if necessary, review our future training plans" and you never hear anything again.

* My boat was failed on an 'advisory'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Electrical stuff is very common  now, all the surveyors have say in their report is that it would be uninsurable.....and it has to be done.

Really?

Are yo asserting BSS inspectors are being told by insurance companies what is and what isn't insurable, and these are different parameters to those set out in the BSS inspection?

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Really?

Are yo asserting BSS inspectors are being told by insurance companies what is and what isn't insurable, and these are different parameters to those set out in the BSS inspection?

I read Matty's post as relating to SURVEYORS (as in a pre-purchase surveyor) rather than a BSS EXAMINER

It is quite reasonable for a surveyor to inform his client that the boat may well be uninsurable.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I read Matty's post as relating to SURVEYORS (as in a pre-purchase surveyor) rather than a BSS EXAMINER

It is quite reasonable for a surveyor to inform his client that the boat may well be uninsurable.

Ah yes, thanks. I see that now. I was wondering if I had the context wrong. 

Much of the discussion revolved around whether the boat had failed its BSS, and the OP remains silent on this point AFAICS. 

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Really?

I'm referring to marine surveyors carrying out pre purchase surveys for buyers.

13 hours ago, WotEver said:

I was wondering that. 

I'm still wondering what output the charger is which was Question 1 asked by @Alan de Enfield in Post #2. Also the size of the cables needs clarifying as pointed out by @Tony Brooks in Post #7.  I wonder if anything else is worth wondering about until those unknowns are known? ;)

Edited by Sea Dog
I also wonder why this post is showing #1 when it follows Tony's #20!

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I wonder if the OP really want any help at all....

Yes very much so and it has helped me, I do believe that the examiner was in the song as another passed the work, now all I wonder is it I can get my money back.

Probably not worth the hassle because I suspect it would take a small claims court case and even they the examiner may simply refuse to pay.

Maybe better to make yourself a bloody nuisance and be very instant with the BSS office. Suggest that if they do not prove to you they have disciplined the examiner you consider them to have been negligent. Write to the magazines and put as much publicity as you feel able on social media. It won't help you but just might cause the BSS to think a bit.