Lister HA Lift Pump Retrofit

Liam

Featured Posts

A Lister HA2 has been running via a gravity fed top tank.

To create more space in the engine room I'd like to remove the very large top tank and feed directly from the main fuel tank which is at or just below engine level and so I'd need a lift pump.

My question is - were all HA2's fitted with the capability of having a fuel pump installed or is the lever operated by the cam an after-market extra? Do I need to source the connecting rod separately?

Edited to add - it's a HA2M with a build date of 1959. Engine number 1439.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Liam

Hopefully picture attached..

The crank case door does have the mount for the lift pump but I have no idea what's behind it.

Please excuse the dishevelled state of the engine and paint :)

20190601_194416.jpg

2 hours ago, Liam said:

Hopefully picture attached..

The crank case door does have the mount for the lift pump but I have no idea what's behind it.

Please excuse the dishevelled state of the engine and paint :)

20190601_194416.jpg

Looks like the place for one. You need to remove that plate and shine a torch in to see if there's a cam for a lift pump, or feel with a finger.

Mind you if its rod operated there will only be a hole behind the plate and tou won't be able to see.  You would need to insert a rod like the wrong end of a drill bit into the hole and turn the engine slowly by hand to feel if the rod goes in and out riding on a cam. Keep hold of the rod in case there is no cam, but the cam shaft should be there.

14 hours ago, RLWP said:

There will be a cam, every camshaft has one. What there probably isn't is the adjustable pushrod to operate the lift pump

Thanks Richard.

Would you know a source for these pushrods at all?

Liam

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

Definitely have lift pumps.

... and we might still be needing one!

If only they would fix the canal, so we can get moving again to  work out what we do need to replace!