Best 7 day route from Worcester?

inhumangeek

Featured Posts

Good evening,

I am looking for route recommendations please. We have a narrowboat booked for the end of August for 7 nights, two adults and two children (10 & 7).

Basically I am looking for a recommendation on the best route to take, we don't have an end-point in mind, but a route with good scenery, and if possible the occasional local attraction. We are national trust members.

So, would you go south to Gloucester? South then East towards Evesham? Or North? We have relatives over Stratford way but I think too much of a stretch to get there and back (but they could drive to us!!).

I guess the ideal route would have good scenery, not too many urban miles, a few good pubs and a couple of good places to visit. (And of course enough places to moor!)

We went on a canal holiday some years ago, we did a big loop through Birmingham, I wouldn't necessarily want to do as many miles as that.

Many thanks indeed.

I'd say go up the canal towards Birmingham. The locks will keep the children busy so they'll be tired and sleep well. The scenery on the Severn isn't that good because the banks are too high. You just turn around half way through the week, the canal looks completely different coming back.

The Stourport Ring is the obvious choice. From Worcester to Birmingham is 54 locks and only about two full days cruising. Not sure I’d want to do that and turn round and head back down them all again. Obviously it’s broadly just as many to keep going around the ring but at least they are different and more spaced out.

JP

12 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

The scenery on the Severn isn't that good because the banks are too high. 

But not an issue if you go up from Worcester to Stourport which is a lovely half day cruise. This would be a fine leg, either in an out and back up the also lovely Staffs and Worcs or the Stourport ring as Capt Pegg suggests above.

21 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

But not an issue if you go up from Worcester to Stourport which is a lovely half day cruise. This would be a fine leg, either in an out and back up the also lovely Staffs and Worcs or the Stourport ring as Capt Pegg suggests above.

Agreed that as an out and back a trip up the Severn and then as far up the Staffs & Worcs as time allows is probably a better bet than up the W&B. I’d still vote for the ring though. It’s a fairly comfortable week’s cruise.

JP

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, inhumangeek said:

sorry for not coming back sooner but have been a bit busy at home. 

Since 1st June - you have a busy home life!  All the more important to get this holiday right! :D

Edited by Sea Dog
Underestimated the time lapse!