Stripped Thread

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Bod said:

When the excrement hits the revolving blades rivnuts are absolutely ace!!!???

• 5 months later...
On 01/06/2019 at 15:45, nicknorman said:

I now need to do this, I wonder what sheet thickness these ones are for

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I now need to do this, I wonder what sheet thickness these ones are for

How thick is the metal you need to rethread? If it is too thick for rivnuts you might be better with a helicoil. What diameter thread do you need to do? Metal thickness and everything else for rivnuts.

Jen

12 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

How thick is the metal you need to rethread? If it is too thick for rivnuts you might be better with a helicoil. What diameter thread do you need to do? Metal thickness and everything else for rivnuts.

Jen

Cabin side, probably 4mm for a 5mm screw. I have ordered some longer rivnuts but wonder if the crimpy tool will reach them, Only one possibly two to fit so far so may just try a nut bolt and washer to jack it out to set it.

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Cabin side, probably 4mm for a 5mm screw. I have ordered some longer rivnuts but wonder if the crimpy tool will reach them, Only one possibly two to fit so far so may just try a nut bolt and washer to jack it out to set it.

0.7mm

You might be better with a helicoil. Normal (course) pitch M5 threads are 0.8mm, so enough to get plenty of threads in a 4mm cabin side.

Jen

Make a new gasket out of neoprene omitting the stripped hole, drill and tap new holes either side of the duff one. Alternatively you could enlarge the hole in the lid so that is large enough to accommodate the bolt head, and put a nut and bolt in the tank to seal the redundant hole.

6 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Just a little tip before putting the rivnut in the hole put some threadlock around it and it will help stop it spinning  at a later time  also put copper slip on the bolt 

jacko

The plan is to try a Helicoil first and if that fails a Rivnut, hoping that the Rivnut needs a larger hole than the coil

Due to circumstances I've yet toget around to using a Rivnut on my water tank. However i had atrial run at home Wwithout using a setting tool. I worked out a way for my job. You need to keep the flange hard up against the work piece whilst setting it. It's a glorified pop rivet

Still very gratful to know about them

11 minutes ago, Slim said:

Due to circumstances I've yet toget around to using a Rivnut on my water tank. However i had atrial run at home Wwithout using a setting tool. I worked out a way for my job. You need to keep the flange hard up against the work piece whilst setting it. It's a glorified pop rivet

Still very gratful to know about them

Did you just press something heavy on the bolt head, also did you but longer rivnuts of is your deck only 3mm?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Did you just press something heavy on the bolt head, also did you but longer rivnuts of is your deck only 3mm?

The Rivnut was 8mm long s/s. 

The way I did it ( my job was on the edge of a plate) was to take a strip of 4 mm steel in which I drilled a clearance hole for the intended bolt but less than the flange diameter. The flange diameter was just over 11mm I then inserted an 8 mm bolt through clearance hole into the Rivnut thread. Once positioned I clamped the steel strip with a couple of pairs of mole grip and 'tightened' the bolt until the Rivnut was set. On the practice piece it worked

Frank

1 minute ago, Slim said:

The Rivnut was 8mm long s/s. 

The way I did it ( my job was on the edge of a plate) was to take a strip of 4 mm steel in which I drilled a clearance hole for the intended bolt but less than the flange diameter. The flange diameter was just over 11mm I then inserted an 8 mm bolt through clearance hole into the Rivnut thread. Once positioned I clamped the steel strip with a couple of pairs of mole grip and 'tightened' the bolt until the Rivnut was set. On the practice piece it worked

Frank

Ta I may have one to set on the cabin side but only 5mm bolt

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Ta I may have one to set on the cabin side but only 5mm bolt

If it were me I would make up a plate along the lines of the one I made and find a way of keeping pressure on it whilst setting the rivnut. A couple of beefy mates with strong fingers ?

We use rivnuts a lot at work and in stead of using the proper tool we just use a 8mm bolt and nut with a washer .

put the nut on the bolt then the washer screw the bolt into the rivnut then with two spanners hold the bolt head and nip the nut down on the rivnut job done ?

Jacko

3 hours ago, jacko264 said:

We use rivnuts a lot at work and in stead of using the proper tool we just use a 8mm bolt and nut with a washer .

put the nut on the bolt then the washer screw the bolt into the rivnut then with two spanners hold the bolt head and nip the nut down on the rivnut job done ?

Jacko

That was my plan

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 21:20, ditchcrawler said:

The plan is to try a Helicoil first and if that fails a Rivnut, hoping that the Rivnut needs a larger hole than the coil

Well while we were taking on water today at Fradley and the correct side of the boat was against the towpath, I re drilled and tapped the hole in the cabin side, inserted the Heli-coil and screwed home the 5mm screw, all is well, thanks.

On 01/06/2019 at 21:08, Chewbacka said:

Having set stainless pop rivets they take a huge amount of force to set, I think you will struggle to set those without a long handle tool, interested to see how you get on.  

I used to fit security deadlocks to vans. The kits all came with stainless steel poo rivets. Bloody hard by hand but fortunately Machine Mart did an air operated rivet gun.

42 minutes ago, pearley said:

I used to fit security deadlocks to vans. The kits all came with stainless steel poo rivets. Bloody hard by hand but fortunately Machine Mart did an air operated rivet gun.

What you need is a Lazy Tongue riveter. 
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lazy-tongue-riveter/10461

Edited by WotEver
I carnt spel