From Falkirk wheel; which way, Glasgow or Edinburgh

geehils

Featured Posts

Booked myself a little treat, as I've always wanted to take a boat on the Falkirk wheel.

The question I have is, "Do I go to Glasgow or Edinburgh"? I don't have time to do both, so forumites thoughts and ideas gratefully received.

My thanks in advance.

When you go up the wheel it seems a shame not to do the staircase just round the corner and you are then on the union canal which goes to Edinburgh. You could go to linlithgow then about turn and head back down the wheel where you have the choice of going part of the way to Glasgow or going down to the Kelpies. No matter which way you go you book the lock passages and volunteers work them for you. Boaters aren't allowed to do their own locks on the lowland canals. 

No matter which way you go, enjoy your trip 

Haggis 

Ps just noticed the that you have said "booked myself". I don't think think Scottish canals allow you to do the wheel and locks with just one person on board. 

Edited by haggis

I like the idea of the Kelpies.

Sorry, should have said Booked ourselves. 

Mrs W's coming along and her eyes light up when 'Locks' are mentioned (so long as she doesn't have to steer into them!).

Haggis, thanks for your good wishes too.