Beta 43 Engine Fuse

Featured Posts

Lost all power to the instrument panel. Checked the multipin connector at the back of the engine and no power there. Actually 12 volt on the brown feed wire with plug disconnected but dusappears whdn plug reconnected so high resistance. Diagram shows that feed coming from the back of the starter motor via a 40 amp fuse. Manual says that fuse holder is either above starter motor or flywheel housing but I'm buggered if I can find it.

Mind you, access is a bit difficult as there a big support for the floor right where you don't want it but even so would have thought with mirrors, torch and inspection camera I coild find it. Anyone got a photo or more explicit directions.

Having found it or felt it I'm not sure I'll be able to get at it enough to affect a repair so I might have to rig an alternative supply from the rear of the alternator.

I can see the loom as it runs around the LH rear corner of the engine above the flywheel housing then it disappears from view under the oil cooler? then I can't see it or feel it again until the auxillary connectors on the mounting rail.

To be honest I can't actually see the starter motor, I just know where it should be.

21 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yet another instance of "I wish I'd bought a boat with a cruiser stern "?

22 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Rubbish. I have a cruiser stern and my Beta 38 is a pig to get at. As something useful for the OP. My fuse is just behind the oil cooler which sits over the flywheel housing in a green inline fuse holder.

It's a GREAT idea to tuck an engine away out of sight, under a floor somewhere, apparently.

Engine rooms where you can walk all around the engine and easily get at every single bit of it are such a waste of space I'm sometimes told.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's a GREAT idea to tuck an engine away out of sight, under a floor somewhere, apparently.

Engine rooms where you can walk all around the engine and easily get at every single bit of it are such a waste of space I'm sometimes told.

If you have an engine that never needs servicing,or fixing, then yes,tucking the engine out of sight is good. Sadly,I haven't yet come across one yet.

Every time I look in my engine hole my heart sinks when I see the state of the engine bilge.It needs wire brushing and painting,but I can't even get my hand to it!

To do it properly,the engine will need to come out,but I'm not doing that untill it needs an overhaul or replacing. I'll just try not to look at it when checking oil,belt and water.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

No way would I want a cruiser stern. The cross bed is getting a bit much and the cassettes seem to be getting heavier but I like my Trad stern. People say cruiser sterns are more sociable but as it's only me and Jeannette we have better placed to do our socializing!

Well I've fixed it by running a fused feed from the back of the alternator to the multi connector (after removed the original pin) after a bus ride to Halfrauds. Can't stop too long were we are at Sale otherwise Sonny will descend on us.

Wish I'd looked at these posts beforehand but dinner intervened otherwise I'd take some photos to show that my engine bay is pretty clean and rust free despite access problems, but they are only to a bit of the left hand side.  

Once we're off the Bridgewater I'll have another look for the fuse holder.

Edited by pearley

On my Beta 43, the fuse is located to the left of the rocker cover aft end as you look from astern. As previously mentioned bit difficult to spot. What I found more difficult was the 40A fuse for sale on the cut. Even the local car parts place didn't have them, finally found on flea-bay and had them delivered at home.