Battery setup

Malcolm48

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Malcolm48 said:

Thankyou for all your replies, eventually got up to boat, why can’t the T&M be nearer?

anyway, checked battery banks and sure enough, the neg was connected through all four batts and the leisure/starter batts had separate pos feeds.

Put my neck out in the process, is it a design feature that batt banks are located where you can’t get at them?

Ah the joys of not buying an ex hire boat where at least you stand a 50-50- chance of getting good access to important bits.

If you can ever get a look at the NMEA codes of practice you will see just how much notice the typical private canal boat buildert pays to theem

Anyway many thanks for your feedback and hope the neck is soon better.

Bugger!

The brokers must have seen me coming when I bought LR as it seems to have broken many of the rules...

The toilet cassette is dead easy to get to.

The leisure batteries are easily accessible (the starter battery not so much).

The stove is not near the front door but between the saloon and galley (it is on the wrong side though).

It doesn't have a cratch board (or cover).

It doesn't have a pram hood.

The (stern) gas locker is easy to get to.

It doesn't have a cross bed.

However it does comply with the rule for making the stern gland greaser hard to reach.

It also has a hard-to-get-to weed hatch (under the trad stern) as well, although I'm not sure there is a rule about this.

On 31/05/2019 at 15:44, Mike the Boilerman said:

Three is an unusual number of domestic batteries too. Four in parallel is more common. 

Is it so unusual to have three domestics?  I used to have a 3 x 135 Ah bank and now I've got 3 X 150Ah Trojans. Isn't it more about total Ah of the bank than the number of batteries?

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Is it so unusual to have three domestics?  I used to have a 3 x 135 Ah bank and now I've got 3 X 150Ah Trojans. Isn't it more about total Ah of the bank than the number of batteries?

Apart from 3 years when I had 4 x 6V Trojan 105s, I have had 3 x 12V batteries as my domestic bank. No idea why it's an unusual number?

Me neither. The battery bank size should reflect the electricity use so that between charging periods they would ideally not be discharged below a true 50%.

My boat (ex hire) started with 2 x 110 Ah then when I fitted a gas boiler with a small electric pump I added a third battery so now have 3 x 130 (claimed) Ah. So far they have lasted over 5 years but then we are an all  12V boat with 12V fridge apart from a small 100 watt inverter for charging things, however we are not in any way a floating cottage so our electricity needs are not nthat great over and above the fridge.

Note - I am sure the solar has a lot to do with battery life.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Me neither. The battery bank size should reflect the electricity use so that between charging periods they would ideally not be discharged below a true 50%.

My boat (ex hire) started with 2 x 110 Ah then when I fitted a gas boiler with a small electric pump I added a third battery so now have 3 x 130 (claimed) Ah. So far they have lasted over 5 years but then we are an all  12V boat with 12V fridge apart from a small 100 watt inverter for charging things, however we are not in any way a floating cottage so our electricity needs are not nthat great over and above the fridge.

Note - I am sure the solar has a lot to do with battery life.

Defo.

4 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Apart from 3 years when I had 4 x 6V Trojan 105s, I have had 3 x 12V batteries as my domestic bank. No idea why it's an unusual number?

When we bought our boat it had 3*110 Ahr Lead acids. We added another 3 lead acids. This year we added another 3 Lithiums. I think that means we now have 27?

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

How many Lithiums did you originally have ?

There's one in my laptop

There's one in my ipad

There's one in my phone

There's one in Mrs Bobs ipad

There's one in Mrs Bobs phone

There's one in my Fire tablet.......oh I give up!