What was the big pub Rolt mentioned south of Leicester?

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

In nearby March they took over the old cinema and turned it into a pub. When the Middle Level Commissioners' office building next door became vacant they annexed that too. I think they run it as a hotel.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the word "roadhouse", which I think is what the big pubs which sprang up along main roads to cater for the carborne trade (long before the breathalyser was thought of) were often called. I think of them as "six bars four restaurants" pubs.

My point was not the use the put the building to, but the local history. Most spoons honour local history. 

41 minutes ago, Andrew Denny said:

My point was not the use the put the building to, but the local history. Most spoons honour local history. 

Yes, in this case by ensuring that these buildings survive and don't fall into disrepair. I've never been inside so I can't comment on how much of the cinema's interior has been saved.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Yes, in this case by ensuring that these buildings survive and don't fall into disrepair. I've never been inside so I can't comment on how much of the cinema's interior has been saved.

The cinema in Braintree has been very tastefully saved by the Spoons (after years as a bingo hall) It still has the screen above the bar where they sometimes project the footy

When I used to work in a Thamesside building in London, I used to while away the hours thinking of what the concrete letters forming the name could rearranged into.

Humanised Loo was the best I ever came up with.

Sadly demolished now.

For some reason I can only link to the image of the concrete letter but attach the image of the building.

https://images.app.goo.gl/RoDL6a3GHUTyurXS7

images.jpeg

Edited by cuthound

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

When I used to work in a Thamesside building in London, I used to while away the hours thinking of what the concrete letters forming the name could rearranged into.

Humanised Loo was the best I ever came up with.

Sadly demolished now.

For some reason I can only link to the image of the concrete letter but attach the image of the building.

https://images.app.goo.gl/RoDL6a3GHUTyurXS7

images.jpeg

Hi, Amused loon!

Apparently there are 53,291 anagrams of Mondial House!

https://new.wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=mondialhouse&t=1000&a=n

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Athy said:

What a vivid imagination you have.

It does remind me of a true story. In the 1990s a friend of mine had a record shop in the shopping arcade in Redhill called 'HITS'. He arrived to open up one morning to find that overnight some merry prankster with a screwdriver had swopped the letters round into an unflattering anagram. Obviously a dissatisfied customer....

And then there were the Royal Brine Baths in Stafford. I don't know where the miscreant got the "U" that was such an effective replacement for the"B".  The building is (sadly) long gone now.