Mooring correctly

canalhippy

Featured Posts

Just wanted to say thanks to all the private boat owners that have gone past in the last few days, we’re moored up at bridge 35 on the Worcester Birmingham. Not many of you guys even considering slowing down for moored boats ??‍♂️, hire boaters on the other hand in the region of 50/50 going past at tickover...

Not moaning at all, I’m obviously great at mooring with the use of a spring rope, have hardly moved at all, which can’t be said about the wide beam moored on the opposite side of the cut to us, roughly about 2 foot movement backwards and forwards every time a speeding boat goes past. 

So yeah, bring it on. I promise I won’t run outside and shout at any of you or shake my fist ?

• Greenie 1

Name and shame!

I'm going to start, just had a Braunston boat plane past leaving a 2 foot wave behind. We are well tied but went up and down for a while, can do nothing about that.

All smart paint and no consideration.

20 minutes ago, canalhippy said:

Not moaning at all, I’m obviously great at mooring with the use of a spring rope, have hardly moved at all, which can’t be said about the wide beam moored on the opposite side of the cut to us, roughly about 2 foot movement backwards and forwards every time a speeding boat goes past. 

Good, because you're obviously new to boating or you'd have noticed the widebeam on loose lines moves back and forth whatever the speed of a passing boat. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Good, because you're obviously new to boating or you'd have noticed the widebeam on loose lines moves back and forth whatever the speed of a passing boat

Incorrect, if moored correctly they don’t move that much.

22 minutes ago, canalhippy said:

Just wanted to say thanks to all the private boat owners that have gone past in the last few days, we’re moored up at bridge 35 on the Worcester Birmingham. Not many of you guys even considering slowing down for moored boats ??‍♂️, hire boaters on the other hand in the region of 50/50 going past at tickover...

So yeah, bring it on. I promise I won’t run outside and shout at any of you or shake my fist ?

I don’t quite understand your point. None of the boat that passed you have moved you significantly. Which suggests that actually, whilst they may not be at tickover, they aren’t going fast. Some people like to cruise slowly and thus, depending on the nature of the canal, there may be no need to slow down further. Tickover in any case varies a lot. Tickover on our boat is still quite fast and so is the norm for passing moored boats. Tickover on some other boats makes them barely move and have no steering.

There is no rule that says one must pass at tickover. Those outraged and entitled people who have those red “pass at tickover” signs would have made better use of their time learning to tie their boats up properly rather than going to a shop and sticking an ugly an arsehole-indicating sign on the side of their boat.

2 minutes ago, canalhippy said:

I would say you are correct. Although to be fair I don’t have any experience of mooring a widebeam. So surely your point should be about the idiot who is incapable of tying up his widebeam properly rather than the people passing at a speed that is perfectly acceptable for a properly tied up boat? Personally I don’t see why people should have to slow down excessively to compensate for other people’s inability to do something as basic as tying their boat up without 2’ of slack in the lines.

• Greenie 4

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I would say you are correct. Although to be fair I don’t have any experience of mooring a widebeam. So surely your point should be about the idiot who is incapable of tying up his widebeam properly rather than the people passing at a speed that is perfectly acceptable for a properly tied up boat? Personally I don’t see why people should have to slow down excessively to compensate for other people’s inability to do something as basic as tying their boat up without 2’ of slack in the lines.

This is my point and also just to point out how great I am ? ✌️

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, canalhippy said:

You missed MtB’s point about being on loose lines. It would not move two feet forward and back if they were tighter and given a passing boat displaces the same volume of water irrespective of speed it will still move.

That said boats should be slowing down through that area as there is a blind junction, a bridge, a boatyard and a long line of moored boats on an established offside mooring site.

Can’t say I have ever really noticed particularly poor etiquette on the W&B. The GU is a different matter. May be best if you don’t go there.

JP

Unless you lift your boat onto the towpath, it will move because the water it is in moves.

Moored correctly the movement will be limited, but surely this movement is what we all enjoy, otherwise this would be a caravan forum.

I believe it is polite and considerate to slow down passing moored boats, but in truth I mostly do it because I love gawping in other peoples boats.

Rog

• Greenie 2

21 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Can’t say I have ever really noticed particularly poor etiquette on the W&B. The GU is a different matter. May be best if you don’t go there.

JP

Went London late last year, we were gobsmacked at the lack of effort to securely moor boats both on the GU and most of London.

I did miss MtB’s point about loose lines, but that is the crux of this thread.

Edited by canalhippy
Punctuation

12 minutes ago, dogless said:

I believe it is polite and considerate to slow down passing moored boats, but in truth I mostly do it because I love gawping in other peoples boats.

Rog

......working out which one to nick this year......?

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

3 hours ago, dogless said:

but in truth I mostly do it because I love gawping in other peoples boats.

Rog

That is also why you need to pass moored boats quite closely and not on the far side of the cut. Now those reflective windows should be banned 

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, dogless said:

Agreed ... and it's slightly selfish for people to close their curtains and blinds during the day don't you think ?

Rog

I have the option of either

1 Tidying up and doing the Washing up

or 

2 Leaving the blinds closed. 

Sometimes I choose option 2.

28 minutes ago, john6767 said:

A widebeam on the W&B?

Yep. There’s been one moored at the New & Used Boat Co at Hanbury Wharf for quite a while. I wonder if it belongs to someone connected to the company.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

11 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yep. There’s been one moored at the New & Used Boat Co at Hanbury Wharf for quite a while. I wonder if it belongs to someone connected to the company.

JP

They sell them JP.  Sometimes there's more than one and you can find them moored on the main line rather than in their arm.

27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

They sell them JP.  Sometimes there's more than one and you can find them moored on the main line rather than in their arm.

I know, but this particular one has been there for a while hence my thoughts that it might be a little more permanent.

JP

14 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

JP

OK that does not sound too bad then, given they sell them anyway.

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I know, but this particular one has been there for a while hence my thoughts that it might be a little more permanent.

JP

“The House Boat” (said wide beam) is apparently on the brokerage.

Had an entertaining day on Friday watching three wide beam and one narrow boat being craned back in the water after returning from the Crick boat show.

F15413B6-DFFA-4577-9D47-B5E387019599.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...