Right, to ensure @cheshire~rose's daughter remains speaking to her:

Predictions of # of boats:

@TheBiscuits 3 (disallowed)

@Dr Bob 12 1/2

@cheshire~rose 41

Proof of # of boats:

1. Good Times (disallowed)

2. Paws 4 Thought

Huge thanks to those members of the BCN Explorer cruise who agreed to carry the noodles up the Walsall locks.

Lock 1, boat 3:  Button End

20190604_083945.jpg.9625446a26c212c40a4c9d4a23fb8e07.jpg

Lock 2, boat 4: Fly Fifer

They get a special mention, because they insisted on donating an extra £1.00 of their own money to the Chesterfield Canal Trust.  I asked if they were paying @Dr Bob's £1.00 to be told "Goodness no! He can pay too!" :D

20190604_084534.jpg.c1e910600a085d3e287c895d09dadede.jpg

• Love 1

Walsall Top Lock to Bradley Workshops, Boat 11:  Silent Wings

20190605_164931.jpg.6a3afd2530bb3700a818d90d042967f1.jpg

And another special mention for Silent Wings, who took the noodles from part way up the flight (when I was walking back down to get my own boat!) to Bradley workshops the following day - and when the heavens opened, made sure the noodles went inside the cabin before any of their own stuff did!

Some locks, but repeats so they don't count, and 13 miles.

Edited by TheBiscuits
  • Love 1

Again thanks to all the boats that agreed to carry the noodles when we crossed paths with them, and who took my spiel about the Chesterfield Canal Trust in good spirits.

A very special mention needs to go to @nellieD from the BCNS who gracefully allowed me to raise money for CCT on a Birmingham Canal Navigations Society event! She did insist I wasn't allowed to hand out leaflets though ... 

Thanks Brenda!  I promise that when I go up the Chesterfield I will do something similar on behalf of the BCNS, even if @cheshire~rose tells me off too!

• Love 1

Predictions of # of boats:

@TheBiscuits 3 (disallowed)

@Dr Bob 12 1/2

@cheshire~rose 41

@Yellowback 42

Proof of # of boats:

1. Good Times (disallowed)

2. Paws 4 Thought

3. Button End

4. Fly Fifer (+ an extra £1 donation to CCT!)

5. Hobnail

6. Shadow

7. Paradigm Shift

8. Uz Boat

9. Moody Blues

10. Country Rose  (My brain keeps singing to me ... "Take me home, Country Rose, To the place, Where I belong!)

11. Silent Wings

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Hope you kept those noodles covered up this week, all that bloody rain would have invalidated the warranty  sell by date

On 07/06/2019 at 21:32, TheBiscuits said:

And another special mention for Silent Wings, who took the noodles from part way up the flight (when I was walking back down to get my own boat!) to Bradley workshops the following day - and when the heavens opened, made sure the noodles went inside the cabin before any of their own stuff did!

17 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Any more guesses for the number of boats @Dr Bob is going to have to pay for?

We all know he can afford to waste £500 on unnecessary bits for his lithium battery setup ... so don't be shy!

12 1/2  sounds a pretty good guess if you pulled your finger out and got them to me pdq.......(never goin to happen:rolleyes:)

We are getting quite hungry.

On 07/06/2019 at 21:15, TheBiscuits said:

Huge thanks to those members of the BCN Explorer cruise who agreed to carry the noodles up the Walsall locks.

Lock 1, boat 3:  Button End

20190604_083945.jpg.9625446a26c212c40a4c9d4a23fb8e07.jpg

Hey, now we met up with Mark on Button End today up by the Mucky Duck and he said he'd been conned out of a £1.00 by a bloke call Peter who had gate crashed the Birmingham Explorer cruise and was exhorting piccies of people with the noodles at pain of something........nasty.

Mark was quite surprised he had met up with the fall guy who is going to have to pay for all these photos!

Shame you had left the noodles with him. I could have had them by now.?

• 3 weeks later...

The noodles have been busy today at Stratford-upon-Avon festival.

I need a ruling from the victim stewards on this boat.  It's a boat, and it was moving, but I will let @Dr Bob decide if it counts or not.

20190707_100036.jpg.8464e4f4b5e59908c3cf0c30656fbb84.jpg

It's the RYA Go Sailing demo stand, so it's a ground swivel mount for a fusion dinghy, that lets people try and control a sail without getting wet.

I thought it was too cool to miss out, but I'm not sure if it should count or not ...

I'm going to provisionally call this Boat 12: RYA Fusion demonstrator (pending)

Edited by TheBiscuits
Spellink
  • Haha 1

Boat 13: Malvolio, the Stratford Chain Ferry.

This was possibly the least successful fundraising event ever.  The manual chain ferry charge 50p each way, so I had to pay a quid to cross there and back to get the photo.

It counts as another boat, so @Dr Bob has to cough up, but it cost me money and effort to do it - I propelled the ferry back across the river with a load of people on it using my lock working muscles - it is a human arm powered ferry, and it looked fascinating so I asked if I could have a go!

For watercraft geeks (like me!) it's great - you can steer the ferry through a small range by winding the large windlass faster or slower, and there is a natural rhythm to the chain pickup that propels it smoothly across the current.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratford-upon-Avon_chain_ferry

20190707_101513.jpg.ac32142242b347b670e0cb75988d5c05.jpg

Next we have SOAK, the Stratford-upon-Avon Kayak club, who were doing rescue demonstrations for the weekend right next to our boat.  I'll plug them, they were great sports http://www.soak.org.uk/

I don't know the names of their canoes, but we had 3 of them for photos.  The noodles are a bit blurry, because I thought it wiser to put them in a plastic bag before letting them free with the kayaks who spent two days mostly upside down being rescued by other boats or with throwlines!

Boats 14,15 & 16: SOAK canoes.

20190707_112952.jpg.bba06e3f1851cd03b6fd73d69e296b47.jpg20190707_113048.jpg.d0648edd5be46ec154dc3f02aa4823f6.jpg20190707_113107.jpg.84b8e58cf419eed4226d2a57f7de86d2.jpg

It's worth noting the blue boat in the background of a couple of these, as we will be getting to that one next week ...

That's it for today, but the noodles are already on another boat ready for more photos later in the week as they continue their journey.

They are quite safe, as they have a forumite moored either side of them ...  @john6767 is one side, and @Dave_P is the other!

Half the IWA Worcestershire branch offered to cycle them up Stratford river lock on Monday morning, but I though recycling the same lock with the noodles was cheating, so declined.

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The noodles have been busy today at Stratford-upon-Avon festival.

I need a ruling from the victim stewards on this boat.  It's a boat, and it was moving, but I will let @Dr Bob decide if it counts or not.

20190707_100036.jpg.8464e4f4b5e59908c3cf0c30656fbb84.jpg

It's the RYA Go Sailing demo stand, so it's a ground swivel mount for a fusion dinghy, that lets people try and control a sail without getting wet.

I thought it was too cool to miss out, but I'm not sure if it should count or not ...

I'm going to provisionally call this Boat 12: RYA Fusion demonstrator (pending)

I think it ought to count, the fact that it goes around in circles is completely irrelevant because that is what noodles do best

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Boat 13: Malvolio, the Stratford Chain Ferry.

This was possibly the least successful fundraising event ever.  The manual chain ferry charge 50p each way, so I had to pay a quid to cross there and back to get the photo.

It counts as another boat, so @Dr Bob has to cough up, but it cost me money and effort to do it - I propelled the ferry back across the river with a load of people on it using my lock working muscles - it is a human arm powered ferry, and it looked fascinating so I asked if I could have a go!

For watercraft geeks (like me!) it's great - you can steer the ferry through a small range by winding the large windlass faster or slower, and there is a natural rhythm to the chain pickup that propels it smoothly across the current.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratford-upon-Avon_chain_ferry

20190707_101513.jpg.ac32142242b347b670e0cb75988d5c05.jpg

Obvoiously all those passengers are completely used to a pot noodle travelling with them because they are totaly disinterested

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Next we have SOAK, the Stratford-upon-Avon Kayak club, who were doing rescue demonstrations for the weekend right next to our boat.  I'll plug them, they were great sports http://www.soak.org.uk/

I don't know the names of their canoes, but we had 3 of them for photos.  The noodles are a bit blurry, because I thought it wiser to put them in a plastic bag before letting them free with the kayaks who spent two days mostly upside down being rescued by other boats or with throwlines!

Boats 14,15 & 16: SOAK canoes.

20190707_112952.jpg.bba06e3f1851cd03b6fd73d69e296b47.jpg20190707_113048.jpg.d0648edd5be46ec154dc3f02aa4823f6.jpg20190707_113107.jpg.84b8e58cf419eed4226d2a57f7de86d2.jpg

It's worth noting the blue boat in the background of a couple of these, as we will be getting to that one next week ...

I absolutely love the huge grins on the faces of those in kayaks!

I bet you had loads of fun explaining what you were needing :) well done

Oh and that blue boat has rivets :)