Boat down in lock

Jon57

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Always sad to see.

Isn't it just. I always feel so sad for the folks hoping to have a pleasant boating holiday for it to end like that. It can all go so horribly wrong very quickly. 

Oh that's next to where the fuel yard is

43 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Particularly if you own the hire company! ;)

Good that no-one came to any harm, although I expect the shine has gone off someone's holiday :(

This happened to a Wyvern hire boat in Kegworth Deep lock a few years ago, Wyverns boss didnt allow CRT and RCR to get in the way, had it refloated , dried out and a few bits replaced,and the holidaying boaters back on their way within 2 days.

Just now, matty40s said:

I think Snaygill used to build their own.?

Many years ago we used to moor at Snaygill.  They have never been shell builders as far as I know, they just fit out and paint and I have a feeling the older boats were Hancock & Lane with the cabin detail fore and aft made slightly different.  

Two years ago we were held up at Bank Newton - the next set of locks up from Gargrave - with a hire boat that had done the very same thing, caught its bow on the gate and within seconds the thing was under water.  The reason it happens with these longer boats is the hirers are paranoid about catching the cill they forget to watch the bow.  Leeds Liverpool locks are "short", of course.

4 minutes ago, RichM said:

What typically happens after the boat is re-floated? I guess it has to be completely gutted out inside, treated/painted and refitted?

If the water is fairly clean it will need a weekend with dehumidifiers running, a good scrubbing, soft furnishings changing and the engine having a thorough de-watering/servicing or maybe a straight swap with a spare so they can deal with the engine midweek when quiet.

Hire boats are built to be robust and easy to clean, chances are the insulation behind the walls will be polystyrene so will not hold water.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, RichM said:

What typically happens after the boat is re-floated? I guess it has to be completely gutted out inside, treated/painted and refitted?

Well half the boat will be ok..  Suck the excess water out of the bilge, the soft furnishings can be replaced, if the fitting out was with proper marine ply it should dry out with no ill effects, I guess they will swap the engine but the existing one should be salvagable.  Houses are made of brick and concrete which take ages to dry after a flood, boats are a piece of cake by comparison.  

Back in the early 1980's I lived at a boatyard in central Birmingham that had a fleet of hire boats. Periodically these would be caught up in mishaps whilst out and about, and occasionally this would result in a sinking. I recovered these on a number of occasions and it always surprised me that after draining water out of the engine (Lister SR and BMC 1.5) and putting in fresh it would start up and power the boat back to base (Diesel was often set to a temporary tank). I don't recall any of these boats being subject to engine change or refitted afterwards and they were usually back in service pretty quick - but of course things like electrical systems were much simpler back then :captain:  

No experience with diesel engines, but a marine gas engine should have no serious damage if it is underwater for a day or two. Diesel should be no different I expect.  Any electronics will need replacing (if it has any) but the mechanical parts of the engine will be fine. Most of the internal parts are coated with oil anyway.  Cylinder walls are where the damage could happen but It takes time for rust to form and a short dunk like that wouldn't do any real damage. Just want to get them dried out, fresh oil in and fire it up pretty quickly. 

4 hours ago, Jon57 said:

Apparently this hire boat has a high bow and the fender got hung up on the gap in the gate. Followed buy being caught on the lock side and tilting? 

If that is what has happened, it emphasises the importance of cutting into at least one chain link on the button to introduce a weakness so that if it gets caught the chain breaks, I'm surprised if a hire company hasn't done that.

25 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

No experience with diesel engines, but a marine gas engine should have no serious damage if it is underwater for a day or two. Diesel should be no different I expect.  Any electronics will need replacing (if it has any) but the mechanical parts of the engine will be fine. Most of the internal parts are coated with oil anyway.  Cylinder walls are where the damage could happen but It takes time for rust to form and a short dunk like that wouldn't do any real damage. Just want to get them dried out, fresh oil in and fire it up pretty quickly. 

The engine would most likely have been running at the time, so has probably hydrolocked and bent a rod or two, plus some possible piston and crank damage. Alternators will probably need rebuilding too.

14 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Well half the boat will be ok..  Suck the excess water out of the bilge, the soft furnishings can be replaced, if the fitting out was with proper marine ply it should dry out with no ill effects, I guess they will swap the engine but the existing one should be salvagable.  Houses are made of brick and concrete which take ages to dry after a flood, boats are a piece of cake by comparison.  

Not just after a flood. Our new house will take between 12 and 18 months to dry out fully!

12 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

All depends if the engine was running when it went under.

My guess is the yard will have a spare engine and just swap it over.

They will have spare upholstery and soft furnishings to swap across.