whilton marina brokerage

Featured Posts

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Please explain to put me out of my misery Mr A ?

Posts on this thread need to be approved by a mod - when they are unapproved that show up as puply pink to mods and to the person who posted, and are hidden from everyone else.

Mr A had approved your post

19 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Posts on this thread need to be approved by a mod - when they are unapproved that show up as puply pink to mods and to the person who posted, and are hidden from everyone else.

Mr A had approved your post

Why this particular thread? Or is it that when we start a new topic, do we have the choice to mark it as all replies require approval? Further, it wasn't approved until I chased it up around 3 weeks on. Just curious! Not come across this in the 10 + years before? Thanks

26 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Why this particular thread? Or is it that when we start a new topic, do we have the choice to mark it as all replies require approval? Further, it wasn't approved until I chased it up around 3 weeks on. Just curious! Not come across this in the 10 + years before? Thanks

As a wild guess, has it something to do with potental libellous comments posted by a disgruntled boater about a marina or brokerage 

Edited by tree monkey

22 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

As a wild guess, has it something to do with potental libellous comments posted by a disgruntled boater about a marina or brokerage 

This has occurred to me but I have no proof of it.

(Oh, I've approved your post. I wonder if I shall have to approve my own).

I think it's this area of the forum rather than the thread itself that generates the requirement for approval. 

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

This has occurred to me but I have no proof of it.

(Oh, I've approved your post. I wonder if I shall have to approve my own).

Nooo, you shall not ? us mods get automatic approval (from the forum software that is ?

• 3 weeks later...

I had a chat with Whilton about selling  boats the guy was frankly oretty short with me.It says they will come out to value a boat on the website,he was very firm that i must bring it to him.I left it at that Bit like a car sales plot take take take,no give.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Norm55 said:

Do these comments apply to their Cheshire branch at Nantwhich, Venetian Marina?  Just shortlisted a couple here but alarmed that surveys done are not necessarily independant 

I think the answer is to book your own surveyor for a pre purchase survey.  

8 hours ago, Norm55 said:

Do these comments apply to their Cheshire branch at Nantwhich, Venetian Marina?  Just shortlisted a couple here but alarmed that surveys done are not necessarily independant 

I can't comment on Venetian, but I bought my first boat from Whilton. If you do two things — ask them straight-up whether they own the boat or are acting as broker, and arrange your own independent survey — then I don't think there's a problem as a buyer. They were friendly, pleasant and efficient to deal with, and the boat was exactly as advertised.

For sellers: when it came to selling it, they offered to buy it outright for £13000 less than I'd bought it for. Draw your own conclusions there.

(The second and current boat came from ABNB, and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. They are simply brilliant. But that's a different story and a different thread.)

Thanks for reply. Yes of 3 boats am interested in, 2 are owned by them ( Venetian ) and these have been surveyed by same surveyor.  Doesn't give me a lot of confidence, but then guess am just cynical. 

The 3rd sold under brokerage has no survey.  Which to be fair is my preferred boat.

3 hours ago, Norm55 said:

Thanks for reply. Yes of 3 boats am interested in, 2 are owned by them ( Venetian ) and these have been surveyed by same surveyor.  Doesn't give me a lot of confidence, but then guess am just cynical. 

The 3rd sold under brokerage has no survey.  Which to be fair is my preferred boat.

If you are really interested in one of thevother two boats, there ois s nothing to stop you commissioning your own survey on it.

Indeed, comparing the results between the surveys might prove very illuminating.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/11/2020 at 09:14, Norm55 said:

I recently bought a boat from Venetian and was happy with the process, work undertaken and after sales service. My boat was also owned by Venetian but did not come with a survey

Normally with any broker including Venetian you arrange the survey and pay for it yourself, which you can still do for boats which already have surveys (Venetian will charge you £300 for a dry dock and the surveyor will charge you ~£600)

It's possible that someone else interested in purchasing those boats paid for a survey and then the purchase fell through (the text of the survey might give you an indication why). If Venetian paid for the survey for their own benefit they probably only asked the surveyor to check the hull and BSS compliance

I suspect the surveyor was Steve Hand, who does a lot of surveys at Venetian but is an independent surveyor who appears to be universally well regarded on here. I was satisfied by him doing a thorough and independent job, but I paid him.

Edited by enigmatic