whilton marina brokerage

Featured Posts

Welcome to the forum.

No, we bought our first boat from them and both they and it were fine.

Presumably you are interested in buying a boat from them and wish to be prudent?

I think that you should invite positive as well as negative experiences from members, to get a fair view.

Edited by Athy

You will probably get a fair amount of negative response from some members here, how much of it is first hand or "my friend told me someone they were talking to …." is up to you to bottom out.

Using your own independent surveyor for a full out of water survey I think is essential regardless where you buy a boat from.

Also practice your negotiating skills, again essential wherever you buy from.

Be sure you are fully happy with the conditions of placing a deposit subject to survey, don't take anything for granted and question everything.

I bought my current boat from them over ten years ago, I had it surveyed, and I negotiated very well.  I am very happy with the outcome.

10 hours ago, chang shan said:

Has anyone had any negative experiences of whilton marina brokerage?

You will now get inundated with negative comments!! In reality they will sell whatever they can. My bro in law bought his first boat there some years ago, it was superb. Caveat emptor.

I bought Largo from them about 7 years ago. They were extremely helpful then and have been since with helping me take out my pump out tank. a couple of years ago

I think most negative feedback come from the fairly inexperienced boaters who think that the broker is responsible for all that is onboard the boat, even, apparently, complain that there were no tea bags in the caddy! There are others who cant understand why they run out of fuel, after all we just bought it from Whilton, they should of filled the tank for us!

As was said to me by one of the salesmen, you can help, but if they don't listen then they tell the world!

Nipper

Edited by nipper

29 minutes ago, chang shan said:

Thank you all for your replies. I am selling my boat, and interested in the pitfalls. Whilton are my nearest. 

If you just want it "easy" - then Whilton  may well do - but don't expect a great price.

OTOH, if you take care and do a bit of work tidying up, explain the details, history, maintenance and the meaning of everything - then you'll bet a better price.

As will trying some of the brokers with a good reputation.

Whilton are the Dell boys of the marine market.

Oh dear - I've offended the thought police

Edited by OldGoat

Ah it's about time we had another thread on Whilton isn't it.

Selling - TBH if the broker advertises widely (they don't all) all I would take into account is the amount of commission charged, and whether there is a minimum rate, if it's a cheap boat.  In this respect I don't think Whilton are any better or worse than any of the others.

If I was buying that might be a different story. 

17 hours ago, chang shan said:

Has anyone had any negative experiences of whilton marina brokerage?

Lol you haven't used the search function here have you??

I've had a direct and personal bad experience as a buyer with them, and I've written about it several times over the years. Basically, their gross unprofessionalism led me to buy elsewhere. 

Personally, I've had a very negative experience with this particular brokerage. 

However, I know of someone who has bought twice and sold once via Whilton, as far as I know, all is well and Dandy. As with all buying and selling, just be awake with eyes open wide. Ask questions and propose certain situations that may arise and ask what happens if? 

My problem with selling using Whilton is that they don't accompany viewers - just give them the keys to the boat and let them view alone. I would never be happy with that for lots of reasons.

• Greenie 1

When we were looking for a boat, some 10 years ago now we went to Whilton on several occasions. There were some good boats and some bad boats. This was one of the not so good. N.B. price is from 2010. From what we saw Whiltons took the boat off the seller and just put it in their parking lot and did not valet any of them. To be fair to Whilton they are not the only broker to sell boats in this manner. As we never bought from them I cannot comment on their pre or after sales care.

In some ways it is good not to have a salesman breathing down your neck, you can have a good poke around.

Stoke Bruern 053.jpg

Stoke Bruern 054.jpg

Stoke Bruern 057.jpg

47 minutes ago, Ange said:

My problem with selling using Whilton is that they don't accompany viewers - just give them the keys to the boat and let them view alone. I would never be happy with that for lots of reasons.

It worked for us as buyers, indeed we appreciated not having a salesman breathing down our necks and possibly applying pressure. We looked around three boats and bought one of them. What, in your view, is the problem?

2 hours ago, Ange said:

Agreed. Whilst I liked the way I could see lots of boats without a salesman when buying, but when selling my boat would want potential buyers accompanied.

When we were looking there severe, boats had drawer knobs missing, presumably stolen ?

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't know why posts have to be approved in this thread, but I have done so. There is no reason why you should not post what you want to.

I was imagining Dan had some communication from Whilton's solicitors advising him not to allow any more defamatory posts about Whilton Marina brokers, on pain of being sued for something or other. 

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hence the need for mod review of all posts about them. 

Maybe he hasn't told you!

Nope - its another one of those forum areas where every post needs approval. I think they're areas where the original intention was that replies weren't really expected, but that reasoning is perhaps flawed 

Very interesting! I heard brokers have a percentage they take, and a minimum fee for each sale. So are they trying to get as much money for you as they can, or are they wanting to put the lowest price possible on your boat. Do they make more money from a quick turnover?

9 minutes ago, chang shan said:

Very interesting! I heard brokers have a percentage they take, and a minimum fee for each sale. So are they trying to get as much money for you as they can, or are they wanting to put the lowest price possible on your boat. Do they make more money from a quick turnover?

Whilton, I think would like it best if you are sufficiently in a hurry to sell that they make you a very low offer and buy it from you themselves as a "stock" boat.

You could then expect to see it offered for sale at a vastly inflated price, with no improvements having been made to it.

I get the impression that maybe half the boats they offer are not being brokered, but are actually now owned by Whilton outright. (That's just a guess - could be more or less).

The problem is that each gives you a difference level of security and comeback as a purchaser, but Whilton are likely to be economical with the truth about whether a boat is being brokered, or whether they are the seller.

We have been told that they will even go through the motions if putting a potential buyers offer to a non-existent seller, and saying it has been rejected.  If they are actually the owner themselves, this strikes me as worse than dishonest.

I'd have to really, really want a particular boat before I would touch Whilton with a barge pole.  I would try very hard t avoid them either as buyer or seller, but I imagine it is a good lace to look around boats unaccompanied if you need extra windlasses, handcuff keys, ropes, etc! (Only half joking - it must surely happen!).

• Greenie 3