Bukh DV10 - anyone found an alternative thermostat?

wandering snail

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

£96 for a Bukh original thermostat seems a little biittt steep!  Has anyone managed to identify an alternative supplier? Has anyone run a DV10 without the thermostat - apart from the previous owner of this one ?

Any ideas welcome.

Olly

Bukh engines are proper purpose built marine engines, a cut above the usual plant engine stuff, I'm afraid you have to get used to the price of spares.  I very much doubt you will find a cheap alternative.  You certainly don't want to run that engine without a thermostat, these are notoriously cool running engines.  The DV24 I had would run much of the time without the stat even opening.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

Bukh engines are proper purpose built marine engines, a cut above the usual plant engine stuff, I'm afraid you have to get used to the price of spares.  I very much doubt you will find a cheap alternative.  You certainly don't want to run that engine without a thermostat, these are notoriously cool running engines.  The DV24 I had would run much of the time without the stat even opening.

Seconded. A superb engine. I had the 36 on one boat.

A friend has a Bukh in his 28' motor-sailer yacht.

He couldn't find an alternative thermostat and had to bite the bullet for the official part, partly justified by the excellent advice from the experienced Bukh dealer in Poole. Sadly that dealership closed a couple of years on retirement of the engineer.

If I remember our experiments correctly, running the engine without the thermostat was ok as cooling water still circulated through the engine block ... the DV10 is certainly sufficiently rugged to run for a few minutes to test that out!

Simon.

Edited by Simon Pooley

It isn't that difficult to arrange an external in-line thermostat assuming this is skin tank cooled. I did this on my Kelvin K1. 

Cost was about £300 using a very nice quality two-way thermostatic valve. Same could be done for a smaller engine using a domestic 22mm thermostatic blender valve, I reckon. Cost might well be well slightly under £96...

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It isn't that difficult to arrange an external in-line thermostat assuming this is skin tank cooled. I did this on my Kelvin K1. 

Cost was about £300 using a very nice quality two-way thermostatic valve. Same could be done for a smaller engine using a domestic 22mm thermostatic blender valve, I reckon. Cost might well be well slightly under £96...

Don't you mean £9.60 ?

Fine advice if it is tank cooled and probably modified to be so but not if its raw water cooled. The thermostat does more then just control the flow down one hose. It forms the bypass and mixes bypass water direct form the water pump with water from the engine to ensure water is always supplied to the wet exhaust or overboard discharge.

My DV36 had been modified for dry exhaust tank cooling and has a machined block bolted to the engine block to accept a standard car thermostat with a cobbled together iron elbow welded to it to form the top part of the housing. I think this was a standard Viking Afloat mod when they were fitting Bukhs. The OP needs to ensure his DV10 has not been so modified. If it is a wet exhaust boat I fear he just has to pay up and look big.

9 hours ago, Simon Pooley said:

A friend has a Bukh in his 28' motor-sailer yacht.

He couldn't find an alternative thermostat and had to bite the bullet for the official part, partly justified by the excellent advice from the experienced Bukh dealer in Poole. Sadly that dealership closed a couple of years on retirement of the engineer.

If I remember our experiments correctly, running the engine without the thermostat was ok as cooling water still circulated through the engine block ... the DV10 is certainly sufficiently rugged to run for a few minutes to test that out!

Simon.

Amen to that. 

It's never bothered me that genuine Bukh parts appear expensive compared to some, (mind you Barrus can give them a run for their money) simply because of the second to none service offered by TW Marine in Furness Vale. 

Nick and Steve know all there is to know about these engines, (as well as Aquadrive couplings) and are two of the most helpful guys you will ever meet.  Their advice, freely given, has often saved me a good deal of expense, so I wouldn't begrudge in the slightest paying a premium for spares/service items.  

Same reason I always use a local ironmongers in preference to the likes of B&Q though in that case the local guy is often cheaper...

• Greenie 1