kinspan foam board insultion

Karl

Featured Posts

Just found out a boat I am considering buying has Kingspan foam board as insulation. As its a self build but owner has made several and they all appear good should I be concerned over the Kingspan foam board ? I do know that a factory new build has spray insulation.  Is it something I should be concerned about. As I say its a good quality looking boat so don't think he would have skipped on insulation but there is no way of really checking how it is as its all hidden !!!!!!!!

If it's been done properly then there's nothing wrong with kingspan. Like you say, it's difficult to check but that's exactly the same situation with sprayfoam and there are plenty of badly insulated sprayfoamed boats. At least with kingspan or cellotex you know it's going to be a uniform thickness.

Two questions I would ask: what thickness board was used and how was it bonded to the steel?

By the way, is this boat fully complaint with the Recreational Craft Directive or does it have a BSS certificate? If it's BSS then how old is the boat? Just wondering as you said that it's a self build and the owner has made several. 

Edited by blackrose