Lister engine identification

Davidflyfish

Featured Posts

Hello, I have what I thought to be a LD1 that has been taken off a 1968 Frederick Parker cement mixer. The engine has no ident tag but has one that says it's got an oversize piston etc. I guessed the engine type by comparing pictures in spares books & adverts on EBay & Utube videos. I have now seen a LR1 engine that looks the same as mine on EBay.

Can anybody tell me how to spot the difference & will a LD1 workshop manuel be the same?

Thanks in anticipation,

David.

I think the only difference in the two engines is the power output.  The LD1 is 3.5hp  @ 1800rpm and the LR1 is 5.25hp @ 2500rpm.  Mechanically they have common parts.  RLWP will give you any detail differences.

Edited by Flyboy

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Davidflyfish said:

All useful info but how do I tell which engine I have when I buy parts etc, thx, David 

Post some pictures, We are good at working out Listers from images

The parts book lists the LR as 1949 on,and the LD as 1952 on....so its reasonable to assume one superceded the other............therefore ,I suggest you will have a LD from a 1968 cement mixer........the book also suggests repair parts are mostly the same ,especially important ones such as VRS kit,and valves...which incidentally seem to be the same I&Ex.

So LD1 or LR1? I've stripped the head etc to refurb & have attached some photo's; hopefully.

also I've taken the injector out but have I taken the sleeve out as well, or is this how it looks. One of the kids picked it up from the coffee table & unscrewed the black not etc off the end so I'm guessing that I'll now have to get it recallibrated as I know very little about injectors.

Looking forward to your replies,

David. image.jpeg.cdc95002bc5cb4b3979509d3709de022.jpegimage.jpeg.0f9e3d2112ef6129d6db9293234f3102.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The part number on the piston indicate it's for a LD, I assume the /5 at the end indicates oversize dimension?

The image of the caliper reading appears to indicate the piston is 0.025" oversize.

Edited by OptedOut
dded info

Hello All,

Whilst cleaning off the paint for a complete repaint I've uncovered this numbering & lettering on the edge of the flywheel. Is it the engine number? I would be interested in the thoughts of the knowledgeable collective please.

Thanks,

David. image.jpeg.3e5276a81234d45c83899b787df85abe.jpegimage.jpeg.04b54db654d3f39203fda9fd67e74dc4.jpeg

38 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Looks like you have the 9737th LD1 manufactured in 1962.

http://www.stationaryengine.org/lister_dating5.html

Isn't it the 9737th Lister of any type manufactured in 1962, of which this one happens to be an LD1?

Or even any engine that happens to be fitted with the flywheel of the 9737th Lister of any type manufactured in 1962, which happened to be an LD1? ?

Thanks for your thoughts fellas. I can't see anybody wanting or needing to swap flywheels from a different motor so think taking all into consideration I believe you must be correct in thinking it's an LD1. Thank you Alan I'm sure you must have been chuckling to yourself when you typed your reply. If we follow your thought processes then the authenticity of any motor would be in question? Fiona Bruce would be out of a job on Antiques Roadshow & the dharma of the cosmos could be in question:D rgds, David. 

On this topic of engine ID: A mate has an SR3 in his narrowboat, it came from a small fishing vessel in Scotland. The embossed engine number plate is missing  and he can't find (or perhaps see) a number stamped on the flywheel within the casing. Is there anywhere else on the engine to look for the serial number etc?

The reason he wants to know is he bought a nice brass Lister works plate and wants to stamp the correct engine number  on it to display in the engine compartment. Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/06/2019 at 22:58, billh said:

On this topic of engine ID: A mate has an SR3 in his narrowboat, it came from a small fishing vessel in Scotland. The embossed engine number plate is missing  and he can't find (or perhaps see) a number stamped on the flywheel within the casing. Is there anywhere else on the engine to look for the serial number etc?

The reason he wants to know is he bought a nice brass Lister works plate and wants to stamp the correct engine number  on it to display in the engine compartment. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about SR engines, but H series engines have the serial number stamped into the flywheel housing, as well as on the little brass identification plate.

The only problem with that is that they can be almost unreadable - one of our engines looks like a 2 has been stamped over a 3, (or vice versa), so we are unsure if it is a 1962 or 1963 engine.

As the brass plate is sometimes fixed to the air cooling cowling, and the latter is often not present, by definition neither is the brass plate, and that's the case with this one.

I own an HA3 that has an HA3 serial number on the actual engine, but an HR3 seial number on the brass plate on the ducting.  clearly HR ducting will fit an HA engine, and the ducting started lfe on an HR.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

The only problem with that is that they can be almost unreadable - one of our engines looks like a 2 has been stamped over a 3, (or vice versa), so we are unsure if it is a 1962 or 1963 engine.

I would say that points to a January 1963 engine. Remember the days when at the beginning of the year you had to be extra careful not to put the same year on cheques you had been using for the previous 12 months!

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I would say that points to a January 1963 engine. Remember the days when at the beginning of the year you had to be extra careful not to put the same year on cheques you had been using for the previous 12 months!

Not sure, unless they also carried over the incrementing number (for which number it was within the year), and forgot to reset back to 1!