Propeller shaft

Carl123

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I went for the Radice seal which looks like the Volvo type, except it has a greasing point and a vent pipe which saves having to burp it.  
Like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282569983924

The story of my change from Vetus to Radici here, about half way down page:
http://destinynarrowboat.weebly.com/vetus.html

I seen some thing like would that fit mine ? 

35 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I find it tricky, so it gets done a lot less often than they recommend. Still no drips, or noise after many years. Try and squirt in a bit of grease while it is mid burp. Definitely don't try levering the seal away from the shaft as this is likely to damage it. The grease just lubricates the lip seals that stop water dripping. Unlikely to have an effect on noise.

So its gonna be shaft removal and see if there's anything is got in side 

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

And look for witness marks that suggest it might be rubbing on something as it passes through the stern tube.

Will do just been a night made at the moment it looks in line can't see any movement from engine side so I'm stuck at moment 

50 minutes ago, Carl123 said:

I seen some thing like would that fit mine ? 

Can't see why not. From memory mine fits on a 30mm dia shaft and a 45 dia stern tube. You would need an outlet somewhere above the waterline for the vent pipe. I have a fitting on the weed hatch chest above waterline.

dscf4616_orig.jpg

Edited by Guest

45 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Can't see why not. From memory mine fits on a 30mm dia shaft and a 45 dia stern tube. You would need an outlet somewhere above the waterline for the vent pipe. I have a fitting on the weed hatch chest above waterline.

dscf4616_orig.jpg

I see now how it works thanks a lot just got to find out what is causing that noise 

1 hour ago, J R ALSOP said:

That "vent pipe" is meant to take water from a water-cooled manifold, and to be forced out through the outboard bearing.

No sir! Not at canal speed! It is just a vent. Same on my previous Vetus setup. Same on many canal boats and yachts. The OP's Volvo has no pipe whatsoever, hence the need to "burp" it. Radice make the identical Volvo seal (allegedly) but minus the vent pipe and grease cup.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Carl123 said:

Is yours got a 30mm propeller shaft 

Yes 30mm on my boat.

28 minutes ago, bizzard said:

But that could only be done with a raw water cooled engine and not with a closed circuit or skin tank

True. From memory I think they only need forced water cooling above 15 knots, but don't hold me to that. The theory is that higher speeds evacuate the cooling water from the stern tube.

Here is an example of why the vent must go overboard!
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?431392-Radice-shaft-seal-a-word-of-caution

Bit of mention of squealing Volvo unit here about 1/2 way down or so:
 http://coxeng.co.uk/stern-gear/stern-glands/

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Yes 30mm on my boat.

True. From memory I think they only need forced water cooling above 15 knots, but don't hold me to that. The theory is that higher speeds evacuate the cooling water from the stern tube.

Here is an example of why the vent must go overboard!
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?431392-Radice-shaft-seal-a-word-of-caution

Bit of mention of squealing Volvo unit here about 1/2 way down or so:
 http://coxeng.co.uk/stern-gear/stern-glands/

That second link is a very useful/comprehensive guide, thanks for posting.

12 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

That second link is a very useful/comprehensive guide, thanks for posting.

It's a pleasure. I am here to help (and to argue ;) )

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Then they say you should have a scoop 

Capture.JPG

I spoke to Vetus many years ago with similar concerns,. They were happy with just a vent pipe at canal speed (my boat had a Vetus unit thus for ten years or more.)

44 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I spoke to Vetus many years ago with similar concerns,. They were happy with just a vent pipe at canal speed (my boat had a Vetus unit thus for ten years or more.)

That looks like different set up from mine 

Mine has a clamp on one end to fasten it on to the sturn gland . has any one changed a cutlass' bearing before dose it come out the propeller side or draw it to the in side boat side many thanks

5 minutes ago, Carl123 said:

That looks like different set up from mine 

Mine has a clamp on one end to fasten it on to the sturn gland . has any one changed a cutlass' bearing before dose it come out the propeller side or draw it to the in side boat side many thanks

Yes that is different to your volvo unit. The cutless bearing is drawn from outside the the tube obviously ashore. Usually held in with grub screws. 

5 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Yes that is different to your volvo unit. The cutless bearing is drawn from outside the the tube obviously ashore. Usually held in with grub screws. 

Will the grub screws be on the in side its all blind to me at the moment in till I go in to dry dock in July so I'm just trying to get as much infow  as I can I'll be doing the job my self its so orquede to work were the gland is as my boat is a trad back but got diesel pipes tuning over propeller shaft 

3 minutes ago, Carl123 said:

Will the grub screws be on the in side its all blind to me at the moment in till I go in to dry dock in July so I'm just trying to get as much infow  as I can I'll be doing the job my self its so orquede to work were the gland is as my boat is a trad back but got diesel pipes tuning over propeller shaft 

On the outside of the boat on mine. People I know who have removed them have used a length of screwed rod to make an extractor. I think there are some examples on YouTube. 

2 hours ago, catweasel said:

On the outside of the boat on mine. People I know who have removed them have used a length of screwed rod to make an extractor. I think there are some examples on YouTube. 

Thanks a lot I'll have a look