What's your thoughts ?

Featured Posts

What's your thoughts on this.

I was shot blasting the base plate. Noticed before that there was some rough welding where the centre joint is, didn't really think nothing of it just thought it that way because of it being welded from inside.

So Blasting off got to said section and found that it had some major depths of un-welded plate and alot of what was welded had bad oxidation due to lack of argon when done.

Surely this is not from when it was built is it ?

Surely a good survivor would of seen the bad welds and investigate further wouldn't they? I mean it's been through at least two or three in its life being built in 1998.

10mm baseplate I measured the depths and got 6.8mm in places.

Weld inside seemed good but not a huge depth.

Anyway cleaned it out and welded it up.

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

IMG_20190526_113656.jpg

IMG_20190526_113723.jpg

IMG_20190526_114444.jpg

Seen it before, the good guys turn the plate over and weld both sides.

But I know of a top line shell that was like this brand new before it was fitted out by a top lin fitter.

1 minute ago, Tim Gilbert said:

Evens Marine and Son 

Evans? About this time Mike Heywood was there, unusual for him but he was not in the best of health.

1 minute ago, hider said:

But I know of a top line shell that was like this brand new before it was fitted out by a top lin fitter.

Are they not inspected before being put on the water then ? 

And would a good survivor not point it out on a sales inspection?

(Note I didn't have a survey done so am not criticizing anyone) 

My choice as I wasn't worried about anything needed and was cheap enough.

4 minutes ago, Tim Gilbert said:

You would expect a decent surveyor to pick up on it if the boat is high enough on the hard for him to get underneath. 

Edited by WotEver
Added a bit for clarity

Are they not inspected before being put on the water then ? 

Basically, no, unless the buyer specifically employs a surveyor. (I guess this is what you mean by 'survivor'.)

Again no. It would need to be an 'out of the water' hull survey rather than a sales inspection. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I "inspected" at launch but I was not selling or fitting the shells, so diplomacy dictates holding my tongue. I did mention the odd ones that started sinking as soon as in the water though!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Basically, no, unless the buyer specifically employs a surveyor. (I guess this is what you mean by 'survivor)

Sorry predicted text. And I am crap at spelling ??

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Speeling, surely!!

Yeah and that ? 

Give me a 24 speed semi auto dozer transmission, engine or anything mechanical I can fix it. Ask me to write a sentence ??

23 minutes ago, Tim Gilbert said:

What's your thoughts on this.

I was shot blasting the base plate. Noticed before that there was some rough welding where the centre joint is, didn't really think nothing of it just thought it that way because of it being welded from inside.

So Blasting off got to said section and found that it had some major depths of un-welded plate and alot of what was welded had bad oxidation due to lack of argon when done.

Surely this is not from when it was built is it ?

Surely a good survivor would of seen the bad welds and investigate further wouldn't they? I mean it's been through at least two or three in its life being built in 1998.

10mm baseplate I measured the depths and got 6.8mm in places.

Weld inside seemed good but not a huge depth.

Anyway cleaned it out and welded it up.

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

You said it - a good surveyor would have picked it up.  From talking to other boaters and from comments made on this forum over the years I reckon good surveyors are thin on the ground.  Remember, anyone can call themselves a Marine surveyor.

1 minute ago, Neil2 said:

You said it - a good surveyor would have picked it up.  From talking to other boaters and from comments made on this forum over the years I reckon good surveyors are thin on the ground.  Remember, anyone can call themselves a Marine surveyor.

To be fair (not that I am anything) 

When I first saw it I didn't think anything of it, it wasn't until It was blasted out did I realize and I guess I surveyor would only know on experience. 

Apart from the few lumps of weld sticking out you would not of know.

2 hours ago, Tim Gilbert said:

Evens Marine and Son 

As soon as I saw the photos, Evans and Son came to mind. I know a marine surveyor who provided technical evidence in Court for two Evans boat owners who had similar problems. From what I knw most of his boats were fine, but there seems to have been a period when his welding did not come up to scratch.

2 hours ago, hider said:

Evans? About this time Mike Heywood was there, unusual for him but he was not in the best of health.

Evans and Son boats were Mike Heywood after he was prevented from trading under his own name.

32 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

As soon as I saw the photos, Evans and Son came to mind. I know a marine surveyor who provided technical evidence in Court for two Evans boat owners who had similar problems. From what I knw most of his boats were fine, but there seems to have been a period when his welding did not come up to scratch.

Evans and Son boats were Mike Heywood after he was prevented from trading under his own name.

This has obviously stood the test of time.

All fixed now ? .

Something for people to look out for in the future too ?

Thanks everyone for your input a great insight ?

Probably not that uncommon, welded from one side only, lay the plates on the floor, grind chamfers on edges (maybe) weld from one side then bung the sides on. Job done. (but not very well)

19 hours ago, Tim Gilbert said:

Yeah and that ? 

Give me a 24 speed semi auto dozer transmission, engine or anything mechanical I can fix it. Ask me to write a sentence ??

I would rather have your skills than being able to spell, far more important than mere schpellin.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But you sure know how to make a cup of tea and flog it for £4.50!!

:hug:

Not erum quite £4.50.........................but........................