Sign writing stencils

Featured Posts

Like so many before me, I'm really struggling to find a good sign writer to paint my boat name. I don't want vinyl but would love to hear from anyone who has done their own with a stencil and would be interested in any recommendations for suppliers. Photos would be even better!

Many thanks.

2 hours ago, tove said:

Like so many before me, I'm really struggling to find a good sign writer to paint my boat name. I don't want vinyl but would love to hear from anyone who has done their own with a stencil and would be interested in any recommendations for suppliers. Photos would be even better!

Many thanks.

Dave Moore of this parish, very good and not over expensive. The only problem is he is based in the West Midlands, and I am not sure how far he will travel.

Personally I would not entertain painting a name on a boat, with or without stensils. I have done a bit of amateur sign writing in the past, but it is not easy, and a boat moves about whilst you are doing it, which is not helpful.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Dave Moore of this parish, very good and not over expensive. The only problem is he is based in the West Midlands, and I am not sure how far he will travel.

Personally I would not entertain painting a name on a boat, with or without stensils. I have done a bit of amateur sign writing in the past, but it is not easy, and a boat moves about whilst you are doing it, which is not helpful.

Seconded for Dave Moore!! He’s  a member on here and if can’t do it he might know someone who can.....

Paging @dave moore can you help?? 

37 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Good point David.

Nightwatch has painted names. This was done prior to our ownership about 14-15 years ago. As we are very 'houseproud' we have washed the boat a number of times and even polished the boat at least four times during this tenure. The signwriting is starting to wear through, not dramatically, but if you look carefully the evidence is there. 

Open to all question. Margaret and I are keen to reestablish the quality appearance of the word 'Nightwatch' on either side. As we have existing lines to follow, and if we choose a nice calm still day, and use good quality brushes and invest in a 'stick' with a 'wad' on the end, will we achieve our objective with pleasing results?

edit to add my bit.

I have heard and certainly don't dispute this, Dave Moore is a very good, first class sign writer. But,I have also heard, that he is very busy, and as a result no doubt has a waiting time for his services. 

Edited by Nightwatch

Thank you to those who gave me a heads up. To be honest, travelling to and from Wiltshire to simply add a name makes little economic sense. Ginny Barlow works that way and should be able to help. Years ago I travelled widely, these days, older and creakier, I stay closer to home, preferring to work under cover. The hands and eyes work as well as they ever did, knees and back less so.

Back in the 70s I helped out at a local music shop on Saturdays. One of the owners, Jack McKechnie, former guitarist with the Hedley Ward Trio, was a man of quick wit and an ear for the bon mot. I bumped into him after retirement and asked after his health.

” Dave” he answered

“ Don’t get old “

” What do you mean, Jack? “ I asked.

” Well”, he replied “ All the bits that used to work don’t, any more......and the ones that are left, hurt”

Nearing 70, I now have a clear understanding of his response.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Good point David.

Nightwatch has painted names. This was done prior to our ownership about 14-15 years ago. As we are very 'houseproud' we have washed the boat a number of times and even polished the boat at least four times during this tenure. The signwriting is starting to wear through, not dramatically, but if you look carefully the evidence is there. 

Open to all question. Margaret and I are keen to reestablish the quality appearance of the word 'Nightwatch' on either side. As we have existing lines to follow, and if we choose a nice calm still day, and use good quality brushes and invest in a 'stick' with a 'wad' on the end, will we achieve our objective with pleasing results?

edit to add my bit.

I have heard and certainly don't dispute this, Dave Moore is a very good, first class sign writer. But,I have also heard, that he is very busy, and as a result no doubt has a waiting time for his services. 

I think you have to have the confidence to have the correct amount of print on the brush and use a single stroke. Having a line to follow is no different to chalking it up first so I'm not sure it would make it any easier.

Second coating existing work is easier for a novice than starting from scratch, but the techniques required to use a lettering brush successfully need lots of practice and aren’t acquired in a few moments. The cabin side is a very public space , as I know only too well.....

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

30 minutes ago, dave moore said:

All the bits that used to work don’t, any more......and the ones that are left, hurt

He is a wise man who speaks the truth. 

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I think you have to have the confidence to have the correct amount of print on the brush and use a single stroke. Having a line to follow is no different to chalking it up first so I'm not sure it would make it any easier.

I managed to touch up some of Ron Hough's lettering on Helvetia when it was suffering from too much polishing, but it was time consuming. I washed the panel to remove dirt and polish, and then flatted it with a very fine Scotchbrite pad. after clearing any dust with tack cloths I used a 1/2" flat modelling brush to apply the paint in single strokes. When I was satisfied with result, the whole the panel was treated to two coats of yacht varnish. When Ron sawthe boat in UCCC dry dock later that year he commented on how well the lettering had survived for more than ten years. I did not disillusion him. Four years later John Sanderson took the whole lot off, and re-painted the boat, after which Dave Moore sign wrote it.

1434412178_FlecknoeFields009c.JPG.22c2a79ebbf3037e5960dc24cf3a2a62.JPG

Ron's lettering after being revived ( lining awaiting re-touch!!)

1541585695_EXT016(2).JPG.eb1522f2f426aa570a78bdbbead0abca.JPG

Dave's new lettering four years later.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

I managed to touch up some of Ron Hough's lettering on Helvetia when it was suffering from too much polishing, but it was time consuming. I washed the panel to remove dirt and polish, and then flatted it with a very fine Scotchbrite pad. after clearing any dust with tack cloths I used a 1/2" flat modelling brush to apply the paint in single strokes. When I was satisfied with result, the whole the panel was treated to two coats of yacht varnish. When Ron sawthe boat in UCCC dry dock later that year he commented on how well the lettering had survived for more than ten years. I did not disillusion him. Four years later John Sanderson took the whole lot off, and re-painted the boat, after which Dave Moore sign wrote it.

1434412178_FlecknoeFields009c.JPG.22c2a79ebbf3037e5960dc24cf3a2a62.JPG

Ron's lettering after being revived ( lining awaiting re-touch!!)

1541585695_EXT016(2).JPG.eb1522f2f426aa570a78bdbbead0abca.JPG

Dave's new lettering four years later.

I much prefer the way it was in the top picture.

I've actually done stencil sign writing for both the boat name and index number. It worked OK and has the paint texture that you can't get with vinyl. Letter shading isn't easy and I didn't attempt it. I also found out why lettering on the double curved rear of a NB cabin is usually in an arc. Straight letters don't look parallel with the boat, even when they are. Lesson learnt. It worked, but I'd get someone to do proper sign writing next time I suspect. The company who did the stencils doesn't appear to be trading any more, so can't help with a source.

Jen

stencil.JPG.787534f126a1de96328e806cb185a4db.JPG

9 hours ago, tove said:

Many thanks.

You could try giving Tim Bird a call on 07528569519, he may go out to Newbury, he did my boat when I was at Thames & Kennet Marina in Reading.

Try Jon Leeson who trades as Letter Knight - best way to contact him may be via John Barnard at Debdale Wharf. Jon did the lettering on our boat. He's brilliant with an air brush in his hand - see the Game of Thrones boat at Crick to appreciate it.

• 5 months later...
On 28/05/2019 at 20:29, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I've actually done stencil sign writing for both the boat name and index number. It worked OK and has the paint texture that you can't get with vinyl. Letter shading isn't easy and I didn't attempt it. I also found out why lettering on the double curved rear of a NB cabin is usually in an arc. Straight letters don't look parallel with the boat, even when they are. Lesson learnt. It worked, but I'd get someone to do proper sign writing next time I suspect. The company who did the stencils doesn't appear to be trading any more, so can't help with a source.

Jen

stencil.JPG.787534f126a1de96328e806cb185a4db.JPG

Thanks Jen,

For what it's worth I think that looks pretty good. I know what you mean about the curves of the boat. Mine curves quite a lot more than yours so will not be attempting a straight line!

14 hours ago, tove said:

Thanks Jen,

For what it's worth I think that looks pretty good. I know what you mean about the curves of the boat. Mine curves quite a lot more than yours so will not be attempting a straight line!

she's so right.   Many of the GRP cruisers on the Thames  suffer from extreme overhang and curvature at the bow (hence the 2ft diameter ball fenders hanging down like some deformity that is unmentionable on this forum) with the result that the lettering of the compulsory boat name never looks quite right.  I suspect that is because the signwriting tradition is considered obsolete by all who buy and sell such bow and stern thrusted obscenities, and the sales agents employ redundant car salesmen to stick on vinyl letters in their tea break. 

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

I just thought I would post these pictures for the sake of future researchers. I did this with stencils from The Graphics Boat and Craftsmaster signwriting enamel. Michelle from The Graphics Boat was very helpful and was happy to tweak what was available on their website slightly for me. The actual painting part was very, very easy. The hard part is the planning, positioning and applying. Anyway, chuffed to bits. My crappy pictures don't do it justice.

89830927_1702762243225214_4730872868424908800_n(1).jpg

89856352_1702762323225206_7716486239976685568_n.jpg

89880661_1702762369891868_2947778149942820864_n(1).jpg

90332851_1702762426558529_3862903232518946816_n.jpg

89969315_1702762456558526_7534572006801408000_n.jpg

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, tove said:

I just thought I would post these pictures for the sake of future researchers. I did this with stencils from The Graphics Boat and Craftsmaster signwriting enamel. Michelle from The Graphics Boat was very helpful and was happy to tweak what was available on their website slightly for me. The actual painting part was very, very easy. The hard part is the planning, positioning and applying. Anyway, chuffed to bits. My crappy pictures don't do it justice.

89830927_1702762243225214_4730872868424908800_n(1).jpg

89856352_1702762323225206_7716486239976685568_n.jpg

89880661_1702762369891868_2947778149942820864_n(1).jpg

90332851_1702762426558529_3862903232518946816_n.jpg

89969315_1702762456558526_7534572006801408000_n.jpg

Wow! That looks excellent.

Jen