A bank holiday treat...What’s the collective noun for kingfishers?

MHS

Featured Posts

We moored yesterday at Coole Pilate on the SURT. (Shropshire Union Race Track) 

Moored on rings with spring lines, we were largely unaffected by the many passing boats which didn’t bother slowing at all. A few actually had a breaking wash whilst passing the visitor moorings!!

Today we visited the Secret Nuclear bunker which is well worth a visit. 

But the real treat was on nearing Nantwich. We’ve previously seen plenty of kingfishers between David’s Bridge and the aqueduct. Today however we saw 4 together. Looked like parents with a couple of fledglings. They happily flew up and down the cut next to us. If you’re wanting to have a close look at these wonderful birds, then near the winding hole is a perfect place.

I wouldn't have thought they'd need a collective noun as I've so rarely seen even one.

By contrast Canada Geese, often seen in numbers, might not have a collective noun as they're not a native species. Even the Canadians might not have a word for them, as when I visited Canada a few years ago I never saw one of the blighters.

17 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I wouldn't have thought they'd need a collective noun as I've so rarely seen even one.

By contrast Canada Geese, often seen in numbers, might not have a collective noun as they're not a native species. Even the Canadians might not have a word for them, as when I visited Canada a few years ago I never saw one of the blighters.

Well, you thought wrong. I looked it up. 

10 hours ago, Peter X said:

You're cruising the wrong areas then. So far this year we've seen half a dozen or more which is par for the course. The best area by far though has been the Great Ouse.

13 hours ago, Peter X said:

Surely the collective term for Canada Geese is "a plague" ?

And what's wrong with "kingfishers" as the collective term for more than one kingfisher?

Don't talk to me about Kingfishers, their typical call  is very similar to an ACME dog whistle (210.5). When we tried to train one of our rescue dogs we discovered she was terrified of this particular whistle pitch and so would run and hide if she heard a Kingfisher.   

On 27/05/2019 at 20:21, MHS said:

Today we visited the Secret Nuclear bunker which is well worth a visit.  

Shush! Don't tell everyone! It's supposed to be a secret.

On 27/05/2019 at 23:48, Peter X said:

That's 'cause they're all over here. Here is one pretending to be a signet and getting free food from people feeding the swan family. I see a Daily Mail headline coming on...

"Illegal Black and Grey Immigrant Gets Free Handouts and You're Paying For It"

or perhaps

"White Parents Forced to Foster Black and Grey Immigrant"

interloper.JPG.73840c558158dc3dea04ec09c4b19dad.JPG

The cat thinks birds have no right to be that big.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies