Post BCNS Challenge Problems

Featured Posts

Guys/Gals, We are on our way home from the BCNS challenge and have two problems.

1) It looks like the rudder has come out of the cup the bottom can anyone recommend a way to get it back in.

2) The preheater light is permanently illuminated. I think it is lying to me as when you select preheat things go bit dimmer implying current draw. The engine is warm at the moment so I may not find out if the preheater works until tomorrow. I don't understand what switches the light on. Is it just in parallel with the heaters themselves or something else. 

Graham

50 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

Guys/Gals, We are on our way home from the BCNS challenge and have two problems.

1) It looks like the rudder has come out of the cup the bottom can anyone recommend a way to get it back in.

When ours did this once,I put the boat in the shallows, jumped in and lifted the rudder from the bottom. On the second occasion (Mrs Rusty is very careless) ,I discovered it could be lifted from above and relocated in the cup without getting wet......maybe worth a try.

2016-06-16 16.21.50.jpg

Edited to add . Our cup is approx 25mm deep, I would guesstimate. It is possible yours is a different design, or perhaps something is bent out of shape if you caught it on a cill or hit something hard.

Edited by rusty69
To add pic
  • Happy 1

31 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

How far have you got on your way? Happy to come and poke a multimeter about but know bugger all about rudders/tillers

We are currently on the Grand Union just south of the M42. I have a multi meter but don't actually understand the circuit to know where to poke it! 

Cheers Graham

41 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

When ours did this once,I put the boat in the shallows, jumped in and lifted the rudder from the bottom. On the second occasion (Mrs Rusty is very careless) ,I discovered it could be lifted from above and relocated in the cup without getting wet......maybe worth a try.

2016-06-16 16.21.50.jpg

We have discovered we can lift it but don't seem to be able to find the cup. How deep is the cup? 

Cheers Graham

21 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

We are currently on the Grand Union just south of the M42. I have a multi meter but don't actually understand the circuit to know where to poke it! 

Cheers Graham

We have discovered we can lift it but don't seem to be able to find the cup. How deep is the cup? 

Cheers Graham

The cup will depend on the boat builder I expect, ours can be seen in the picture below.  Can you run a shaft along the skeg so you know where it is?

IMG_20181001_151852188_HDR.jpg.b1861c472b29c0aea0ad8fe8c80495a2.jpg

6 minutes ago, Captain Fizz said:

You will probably have to get in the water to relocate the shaft into the cup.

Are you just above Knowle?

We are just north of bridge 74 which is just over a mile north of Knowle locks.

Cheers Graham

I followed a hire boat  up the locks on the Macc. dead slow, at the top he said his rudder had come out and he was about to call the boat yard. I lifted the swan neck and it went straight in first shot. I was hero of the day, lucky or what?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

The good news is I have traced the wiring issue to a bad connection between the engine loom and the boat loom. 

The other good news is I have gratefully accepted Captain Fizz's very very kind offer of help and will see him tomorrow. 

Hasn't this forum got some great people on it!

Cheers Graham

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I followed a hire boat  up the locks on the Macc. dead slow, at the top he said his rudder had come out and he was about to call the boat yard. I lifted the swan neck and it went straight in first shot. I was hero of the day, lucky or what?

Can you please follow my boat whever it goes?

1 minute ago, Graham and Jo said:

Thanks for all the advice so far.

The good news is I have traced the wiring issue to a bad connection between the engine loom and the boat loom. 

Cheers Graham

Ah, the dreaded multiplug strikes again? Beta?

It's an Izusu, the engine had been replaced by the original owner (Alvechurch) but they had bodged the mutipin connector and one of my first problems 11 years ago  was to fix it when the engine refused to stop. Clearly I didn't fix it well enough!!!

Cheers Graham

8 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Can you please follow my boat whever it goes?

And mine.

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Edited to add . Our cup is approx 25mm deep, I would guesstimate. It is possible yours is a different design, or perhaps something is bent out of shape if you caught it on a cill or hit something hard.

Rusty's 10,000'th post. He's out of the bar at last!

• Happy 2

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

2016-06-16 16.21.50.jpg

I think ours is quite similar, we haven't cilled it but did encounter a few underwater obstructions. In the 2017 challenge we hit something on the Daw End canal and the rudder popped right up. I gave it a small shake to see what was wrong and it popped back in! Not so lucky this time. 

The most violent event was the carpet round the prop on the way out of the big Titford pool. 

Cheers Graham

The reason we can't get the rudder back in the cup is that the boat no longer has a cup! Thanks again to Captain Fizz who got in the canal in his dry suit and made the discovery. Heading home with a useable but odd rudder and will have to have her out of the water to put another cup on.

Cheers Graham

• Horror 4

1 hour ago, Graham and Jo said:

The reason we can't get the rudder back in the cup is that the boat no longer has a cup! Thanks again to Captain Fizz who got in the canal in his dry suit and made the discovery. Heading home with a useable but odd rudder and will have to have her out of the water to put another cup on.

Cheers Graham

That would make it difficult.

I don't understand why the design of the rudder bottom cup is like it is, all the grit and rubbish in the water causes extreme wear. Also rusty steel in phosphor bronze is a poor mix.

I re-engineer the bottom pivot the other way up in stainless steel and phosphor bronze bush and have a lot less wear.

19 minutes ago, hider said:

That would make it difficult.

I don't understand why the design of the rudder bottom cup is like it is, all the grit and rubbish in the water causes extreme wear. Also rusty steel in phosphor bronze is a poor mix.

I re-engineer the bottom pivot the other way up in stainless steel and phosphor bronze bush and have a lot less wear.

I completely agree. Your mod makes eminent sense. I guess it’s usually made the way it is because it’s easy. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

I completely agree. Your mod makes eminent sense. I guess it’s usually made the way it is because it’s easy. 

Not strictly my modification, the much maligned "Boater Sam" has these machined up by one of the mates, several boats running around have them now.

• 2 weeks later...

It also looks like the rudder is out of balance, the front bit is too big! This may explain the rudder load we get, I had thought this came from the rear part of the rudder but when you measure it the front part looks like the cause. 

The rudder is also slightly out of vertical when viewed from the back (skeg not quite straight perhaps?) so we will fix all these issues and I will report back (hopefully) about my new , wonderful to steer boat. Around 3pm. 

Cheers Graham

1 hour ago, Graham and Jo said:

It also looks like the rudder is out of balance, the front bit is too big! This may explain the rudder load we get, I had thought this came from the rear part of the rudder but when you measure it the front part looks like the cause. 

The rudder is also slightly out of vertical when viewed from the back (skeg not quite straight perhaps?) so we will fix all these issues and I will report back (hopefully) about my new , wonderful to steer boat. Around 3pm. 

Cheers Graham

And being heavy to steer would increase the stress on the cup welds, wouldn’t it? So the welds could have been cracked already before whatever happened, happened.