Narrow Boats with taller headroom ?

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

Being 6'2" I don't really like the idea and being bent over for long periods of time so I would like a higher headroom.

Boats built by the Liverpool boat company seem to have a headroom of 6'10" which is perfect.

Is there any other boat manufacturers that made boats with a higher head space ?

Cheers

14 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You tend to find boats with a 15mm nameplate have more headroom, as they dont need as much ballast, Hudsons are one like this.

Matty, can I ask, did you mean nameplate or did spell checker do a number on you?

He means "base plate" the steel bottom of the boat, more typically 10mm thick in a modern boat.

In my experience many leisure boats built in the last 25 years or less will offer adequate headroom, irrespective of baseplate and ballast.  Our very standard old "Evans ansd Son" boat was over 6' 4" throughout,

13 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Being 6'2" I don't really like the idea and being bent over for long periods of time so I would like a higher headroom.

Boats built by the Liverpool boat company seem to have a headroom of 6'10" which is perfect.

Is there any other boat manufacturers that made boats with a higher head space ?

Cheers

Most modern boats will have over 6' headroom, have to say 6'10" is at the extreme end of the scale. Be careful though,  I think you may be referring to those liverpool boats that have a very pronounced curve to the cabin roof, like a tunnel profile.  They would give a lot of headroom in the centre but not as much at the sides and bear in mind most boats have side corridors and the shower will be offset too, so it's not necessarily maximum headroom you should be looking at.  

I had a Pinder boat once that seemed cathedral like inside, it did have a very shallow bilge and as Matty says, if you have a really heavy baseplate you can free up a lot of room by removing the need for ballast.  But apart from the likes of Hudson I can't think of any builders that you can say routinely build or built boats with particularly high cabins.

My Piper has plenty of headroom but, whatever hull you buy, be aware that any internal increase has to go somewhere - either into draught or air draught.  The latter means you will have less clearance under bridges and tunnels which can restrict you in some areas. I can do Gosty Hill Tunnel with a full water tank, the M5 culvert on the Droitwich is touch and go depending on water depth on the day and the Standedge Tunnel is out for me.

24 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

My Piper has plenty of headroom but, whatever hull you buy, be aware that any internal increase has to go somewhere - either into draught or air draught.  The latter means you will have less clearance under bridges and tunnels which can restrict you in some areas. I can do Gosty Hill Tunnel with a full water tank, the M5 culvert on the Droitwich is touch and go depending on water depth on the day and the Standedge Tunnel is out for me.

Exactly this.  I'm six foot and my boat (self built) was designed to accommodate this.  I even have a folding treadmill on board and I'm still well away from the roof.   Standedge is no problem but there are times I have to give up on getting to the side and revert to using the boarding plank.  So it is a trade off.....

1 hour ago, NB Esk said:

Exactly this.  I'm six foot and my boat (self built) was designed to accommodate this.  I even have a folding treadmill on board and I'm still well away from the roof.   Standedge is no problem but there are times I have to give up on getting to the side and revert to using the boarding plank.  So it is a trade off.....

A trade off, yes.   We spent some time earlier this year in the company of a single hander with a little 32' Springer from the 1970's.  These boats have incredibly low air draught, certainly by modern standards, and the guy admitted he couldn't really stand up straight in the cabin.  But the low roof allowed him to fit a load of storage boxes on the roof and still be able to get under the lowest bridges.  And of course the shallow draught meant he could get into the side almost anywhere.   For a tall person though this sort of boat would be impossible to live with. 

My Udson had a 15 mil baseplate, however you will see they have a low sleek roofline so in reality the headroom was no more than any other comparable boat. My present colecraft has a headroom of maximum 6ft 5inches.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Being only 5'6" I don't have this problem.

DSC_5953.JPG

Please dont keep putting fotos of your sensible beam comfy boat on ere!! I am at present again living on a poxy narrowboat  :unsure:

• Haha 1

Some years ago when we were looking at new boats we had a look at a boat in the Hanbury range but had to reject it because we couldn't see over the top. The oven was at eye level and the microwave was above head height! Not sure if they're made any more.

8 hours ago, NB Esk said:

I even have a folding treadmill on board and I'm still well away from the roof.  

Ever thought of conneting the treadmill to the prop shaft or fit alternator to charge the batteries? All that energy going to waste.  

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Made with a height of 6' 10"?  Perhaps the builder couldn't tell the difference on the plans between height and width?

That's why they call it "Birmingham Square" isn't it..?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

My Udson had a 15 mil baseplate, however you will see they have a low sleek roofline so in reality the headroom was no more than any other comparable boat. My present colecraft has a headroom of maximum 6ft 5inches.

Correct. Standard Hudsons are squat and thus have only about 6’2” headroom even with 15mm baseplate. This is why we had ours specially built with taller cabin sides giving about 6’6” for my 6’5” (in shoes) body.

The boat we used to borrow (Evans and son) had plenty of headroom for me but of course correspondingly large air draught.

• Greenie 1