Angled storm collar

Kalapattar

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Kalapattar said:

It’s wooden and sits under the collar to upright the chimney! Ta!

Do you mean to take up the curvature of the roof and make the chimney vertical ?

If so I doubt you could simply buy one as pretty much every NB will have a slightly different curve on its roof.

I'm no woodworker but reckon it should be a simple enough job to make your own.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you mean to take up the curvature of the roof and make the chimney vertical ?

If so I doubt you could simply buy one as pretty much every NB will have a slightly different curve on its roof.

I'm no woodworker but reckon it should be a simple enough job to make your own.

A friend of mine helped with ours. Not easy to cut a piece of relatively thin wood at an angle, but it worked OK. The rough bit is on the underside, with plenty of sealant and a couple of bolts through the lot.

Have you tried Midland chandlers and Limekiln, I've bought angled collars at both in the past. There are also some aluminium ones about but I'd avoid those the corrode away quickly.

I was looking for one a few months ago without success. In the end I (amazingly) managed to get the old one off without damaging it using several wooden wedges backed up by a 2 foot long pry bar. Mind you, I had made it from solid African mahogany about 20 years previously. Not a hint of rot which was more than could be said about the roof

54 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Have you tried Midland chandlers and Limekiln, I've bought angled collars at both in the past. There are also some aluminium ones about but I'd avoid those the corrode away quickly.

In order to buy an angled collar, or get a wooden wedge made that is close to correct for  your particular boat it would be best to measure the angle of your roof where the collar goes. One way would be to use a mobile phone spirit level app. Lots of these to choose from. Measure the angle of the boats trim on a bit that should be horizontal, like a deck, then measure the angle of the roof at the same distance from the edge as the centre of the collar. Subtract one from the other to get the angle of collar needed. Best done with no people on the boat to mess up the natural trim angle between measurements.

Jen

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You'd need long arms to be able to do it 'off the boat'.

Yes you would. Unless, you moored up with the collar side on the bank and measured the the angles from there. Similarly for a flat bit of deck.

Or you could do it this way:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiStkvSTZlx3lRRnzuYoa

1 hour ago, Kalapattar said:

Hi! Thanks for all your advice! Where is MG Joinery? Do you have a phone number? I have the original wedge to use as a template 

MG are on the outskirts of Coventry, not too far from Sutton Stop: https://www.mgjoinery.co.uk/ The same estate as PRM gearboxes.

The work wasn't cheap, the block cost £70.

Mine didn't have a hole in the middle as it is for a dummy chimney

IMGP2891.JPG

IMGP2907.JPG

Edited by Ray T

17 hours ago, WotEver said:

Any joinery shop could do this. Where are you?

I’m at Hemel Hempstead atm

I’ve looked online and there is a company that sell hardwood wedges or chocks! I’m going to buy one to measure and then make it myself 

On 26/05/2019 at 11:00, Kalapattar said:

Hi! Does anyone know where I can buy one please? It’s wooden and sits under the collar to upright the chimney! Ta!

Try the Uxbridge Boat Centre (01895 252019) , I brought one from them a few years back off the peg, 

Edited by nbfiresprite