GPS No Longer Accurate ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, reg said:

Then it looks like you don't understand the genisis of the problem. 

The y2k roblem was caused by using 3 digit year counters which was known about for decades in advance but not actioned in good time .

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

The y2k roblem was caused by using 3 digit year counters which was known about for decades in advance but not actioned in good time .

And it will happen again

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

One mainly for the Unix guys. 

I like this quote from Alan Greenspan

"

"I'm one of the culprits who created this problem. I used to write those programs back in the 1960s and 1970s, and was proud of the fact that I was able to squeeze a few elements of space out of my program by not having to put a 19 before the year. Back then, it was very important. We used to spend a lot of time running through various mathematical exercises before we started to write our programs so that they could be very clearly delimited with respect to space and the use of capacity. It never entered our minds that those programs would have lasted for more than a few years. As a consequence, they are very poorly documented. If I were to go back and look at some of the programs I wrote 30 years ago, I would have one terribly difficult time working my way through step-by-step."

Alan Greenspan, 1998[11]

Taken from here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2000_problem

I think the highlighted part sums it up nicely. 

Edited by reg

I've got a 12year old TomTom XL car satnav that displayed the wrong time & date after April.  Went on the TomTom website and downloaded a free software fix & is now working correctly .