Private online mooring

ihatework

Featured Posts

Just now, ihatework said:

Can anybody point me to a website where I can find listings for non CRT canalside moorings please?

I’ve spent ages googling but only find marinas which isn’t what I want. 

Leisure use or Liveaboard ?

What facilities do you want ?

Length ?

They are a bit of a 'secret society' they are generally obtained by word of mouth (as there are not that many about) if you state where you want to be based someone may know of a vacancy and 'tip-you-the-wink'.

I know of one on the River Trent just west of Nottingham if that's any use (its not likely to hang about for long tho')

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Leisure use or Liveaboard ?

What facilities do you want ?

Length ?

They are a bit of a 'secret society' they are generally obtained by word of mouth (as there are not that many about) if you state where you want to be based someone may know of a vacancy and 'tip-you-the-wink'.

I know of one on the River Trent just west of Nottingham if that's any use (its not likely to hang about for long tho')

I'd like one on the Thames at Oxford please Alan, if you hear of one. Needs to be residential, secure, with parking, and cheap... ;)

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd like one on the Thames at Oxford please Alan, if you hear of one. Needs to be residential, secure, with parking, and cheap... ;)

No problem I'll add you to the list - waiting list is similar to those at Cambridge - about 30 years.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No problem I'll add you to the list - waiting list is similar to those at Cambridge - about 30 years.

Ah yes, Cambridge would be acceptable too. 

Thanks!!!!

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Plus power, water and an elsan?

Edited by WotEver
Tryping

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah yes, Cambridge would be acceptable too. 

Thanks!!!!

You even have to go onto a waiting list to be able to licence your boat :

(From Cambridge City Council Website)

Waiting list

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You even have to go onto a waiting list to be able to licence your boat :

(From Cambridge City Council Website)

I don't mind not having a license.

Seems a lot of money for such a small piece of paper anyway....

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I found the best way to get a mooring like that was to buy a canalside house and develop the mooring myself. ?

55 minutes ago, ihatework said:

Will be for a 57’ narrowboat in napton area or within 15mile radius. Residential but will be moving around a fair bit. Don’t need any facilities but parking nearby would be good 

Holt Farm just above top lock, moorings off side or up the Engine Arm

23 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't mind not having a license.

Seems a lot of money for such a small piece of paper anyway....

CaRT even make you print out your own, so you supply the paper and ink. A complete swindle. Even if CaRT still printed them and thus incurred a cost that they could charge you for, licence printing is now just done in black ink, rather than colour, so it should be a quarter of the price through only needing one ink cartridge, rather than four.

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:54, ihatework said:

Will be for a 57’ narrowboat in napton area or within 15mile radius. Residential but will be moving around a fair bit. Don’t need any facilities but parking nearby would be good 

If you are "moving around a fair bit" - then you are NOT residential. The exact limits placed on any mooring is determined by the site owner. Some say 11 months, some say a week.

Technically - and some one is bound to correct me - if you are there 364 days a year, then you are not residential.

(ducks for incoming) 

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Technically - and some one is bound to correct me - if you are there 364 days a year, then you are not residential.

Technically 28 days + is classed as residential under the Town & Country Planning Act

This is why a condition of a leisure mooring with  BWML is that you MUST NOT remain on board for more than 28 consecutive days - you can take the boat 'out' of the marina for the night, or leave the boat in the marina and go and stay in a B&B one night a month and the 'clock starts again'.

3.1.2 The need for planning permission for moorings used by vessels or floating structures in residential use

As discussed earlier, various different types of vessels or floating structures may be in residential use; that is, in use as a person’s sole or main residence.
The question that arises is whether the mooring of such a vessel requires planning permission as a material change in the use of land. The point at which the mooring of a residential boat on a waterway departs from an ancillary use of the waterway (which usually would not need planning permission) and moves to a material change to residential use (which usually would need planning permission) needs to be decided on the basis of fact and degree as well as the particular circumstances of a case. The use of the mooring for this purpose is not included in any of the classes prescribed in the Use Classes Order. It is therefore sui generis (not C3 Dwellinghouses).
In this context it is also worth noting that planning permission is usually not required where the residential use of a mooring is for no more than 28 days in any calendar year, since such temporary use is permitted development under Part 4 of the GPDO
Furthermore, occasional or extended holiday stays on a vessel may not, as a matter of fact and degree, be considered to amount to a material change of use i.e. to permanent residential use.

A number of examples will illustrate the range of issues:

 The use of a long-term mooring on a canal for the ‘parking’ and/or maintenance of a vessel between cruises will not usually require planning permission as such an activity is ordinarily ancillary or incidental to the use of the canal for navigation. That will be so even if the vessel at the mooring is occasionally used for overnight stays.

 Where, however, a vessel or floating structure (a) does not cruise or is incapable of cruising and (b) is used for residential purposes as a person’s sole or main residence, many local planning authorities will regard it as being materially different in nature or character from any previous non-residential use of the planning unit and/or, where appropriate, as having actually created a new planning unit. In such circumstances, it is likely that planning permission will be required for the residential use of the mooring.

 More difficult may be the situation where a vessel is used for residential purposes, as a person’s sole or main residence, but does cruise regularly between stays amounting to more than 28 days at its mooring base. Whether there has been a material change of use in the location of the mooring will be a matter of fact and degree having regard to the planning unit and the nature or character of the previous and existing use.

 Also more difficult is where a small number of vessels are used for residential purposes within a larger site of leisure moorings. Here the residential use may be difficult to distinguish from the leisure use, and the scale of environmental impact may be marginal in relation to the existing level of activity at the site or within the planning unit.

Examples of residential use and the likely requirement for planning permission

Type of Residential Use of the Waterway (refer also to sections 1.4 and 1.5 describing vessels and use)
Residential use of a vessel that is designed for and capable of navigation (e.g. narrow boat, barge, cruiser) which is moored at a designated mooring base.
Likely to need PP = Yes
Planning permission is likely to be required for residential use of the mooring (i.e. the ’land’, including that covered by water). Planning permission will not be required for the vessel itself, unless it has become so fixed to the land as to be part of it. Planning permission is unlikely to be required for infrastructure or facilities, such as pontoons, which can be installed by the navigation authorities (or their lessees) on operational land using their respective permitted development rights.

Residential use of a vessel that continuously cruises the network with no designated mooring base.
Likely to need PP = No
Planning permission not required subject to the individual not living on their vessel at the same mooring location for more than 28 days in any calendar year.

Residential use of a vessel at a designated location in winter but which continuously cruises in summer (i.e. seasonal cruisers).
Likely to need PP = On case by case basis
Planning permission may be required for any stay at a mooring longer than 28 days in any calendar year.

Residential use of vessel which is no longer capable of navigation (e.g. it has been modified and as a result has no means of navigation on the waterway where it is based) at a designated mooring base.
Likely to need PP = Yes
Planning permission is likely to be required for residential use of the mooring (i.e. the ‘land’, including that covered by water). Planning permission unlikely to be required for the vessel itself, unless it has become so fixed to the land as to be part of it. Planning permission is unlikely to be required for infrastructure or facilities, such as pontoons, which can be installed by the navigation authorities using their respective permitted development rights.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

23 minutes ago, ihatework said:

Exactly what we did earlier today! Looks full but will speak to them tomorrow. Do you know if they had a waiting list?

No idea, but if your boat is deep it wont go up the arm as there is a concrete ridge at the mouth, we got over at 28"