Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

Featured Posts

I was given this image by one of the Element family, it shows IVY, at what I was told was Oldbury and appears to be so. I was curious to know why the name "members of the Lower Avon Trust" is on the side.

 

 

 

322403.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ivy along with ex-GUCCC Antares (but lettered Antries) were taken to the Festival of Britain in 1951 as a publicity stunt and moored on the Thames.  Antares had a panel saying Members of the Inland Waterways Association.  Robert Aikman was amongst the crew and there are pictures of the boats looking fairly shambolic.

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Ivy along with ex-GUCCC Antares (but lettered Antries) were taken to the Festival of Britain in 1951 as a publicity stunt and moored on the Thames.  Antares had a panel saying Members of the Inland Waterways Association.  Robert Aikman was amongst the crew and there are pictures of the boats looking fairly shambolic.

Paul

You just beat me to it Paul. It looks like I might be in a position to retire from all this boat history nonsense :captain:

 

edit = I wonder what the large Woolwich motor is doing in the photograph, and which one it is ?

 

edit = for completeness T. & S. Element Ltd. IVY 87 had been built by Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd., Uxbridge as ADA, completed in August 1922 at a cost of £290.0.0.. F.M.C. Ltd. sold most of their wooden boats when they reached 20 years old, and this was the case with ADA when it went to T. & S. Element Ltd. in April 1941 for a mere 50 guineas. I have no details as to the fate of this boat, but I am confident that it no longer exists. 

Edited by pete harrison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

You just beat me to it Paul. It looks like I might be in a position to retire from all this boat history nonsense :captain:

 

edit = I wonder what the large Woolwich motor is doing in the photograph, and which one it is ?

 

edit = for completeness T. & S. Element Ltd. IVY 87 had been built by Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd., Uxbridge as ADA, completed in August 1922 at a cost of £290.0.0.. F.M.C. Ltd. sold most of their wooden boats when they reached 20 years old, and this was the case with ADA when it went to T. & S. Element Ltd. in April 1941 for a mere 50 guineas. I have no details as to the fate of this boat, but I am confident that it no longer exists. 

I presume the shortened motor IVY on the Macc is ex Barlow?

 

George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

I presume the shortened motor IVY on the Macc is ex Barlow?

 

George

No, that IVY is the exF.M.C. Ltd. Uxbridge built butty of the same name, completed in February 1932. This fore end was recovered from Whatcroft on the Trent and Mersey Canal in 1983, and was apparently identified by a B.C.N. gauge plate. This fore end was subsequently rebuilt into its current form by Ian Riley, and was launched in March 1985 at The Boat & Butty Company yard at Runcorn :captain: 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.