Semitrad Priam cover (north west)

Leemc

Featured Posts

Hi all,

First narrowboat is now ours. Thanks to all who have encouraged and advised along the way.

All is really good and loving the experience, even unblocking vacu flush loo after using it with water turned off!

only other issue is pram hood, which was a bit knackered even before I introduced it to a low bridge- oops.

Anyway we want a new one, does anyone have any recommendations for someone in Manchester area that could supply/fit?

Cheers as always.

lee

Not technically an answer to you question but best advice I can give you is get rid of it! ? Have a tonneu made instead have lived with our Pram hood for two years and I hate it... pain to put up, pain to take down... can’t travel with it up so they’re pointless IMHO. ours is only on in the winter in the marina and it’s taken off all summer I’m having a tonneu made this year and then the Pram hoods going in the bin!

sorry for not actually being able to actually answer your question! 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, dm6045 said:

Not technically an answer to you question but best advice I can give you is get rid of it! ? Have a tonneu made instead have lived with our Pram hood for two years and I hate it... pain to put up, pain to take down... can’t travel with it up so they’re pointless IMHO. ours is only on in the winter in the marina and it’s taken off all summer I’m having a tonneu made this year and then the Pram hoods going in the bin!

Each to their own, we have had three on different boats! Wouldn't, be without it!

We had a pramhood fitted onto Innisfree (my design)  It was a cruiser stern with 'wings'?, similar to a semitrad. It finished at the end of the wings leaving half the rear deck uncovered, when the rear full length cloth doors were rolled up it enabled the hood frame to fold down. If it was left unclipped at the back it could be folded flat in just two seconds and erected the same. Approach bridge in pouring rain, wait until bridge is 10' or less from hood, (depends on your nerve!) drop hood & immediately on exiting flip it back up. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

24 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

We had a pramhood fitted onto Innisfree (my design)  It was a cruiser stern with 'wings'?, similar to a semitrad. It finished at the end of the wings leaving half the rear deck uncovered, when the rear full length cloth doors were rolled up it enabled the hood frame to fold down. If it was left unclipped at the back it could be folded flat in just two seconds and erected the same. Approach bridge in pouring rain, wait until bridge is 10' or less from hood, (depends on your nerve!) drop hood & immediately on exiting flip it back up. 

We have a similar setup. Hood drops in no time.

2 minutes ago, Leemc said:

Cheers people. Is it worth having someone having a look at repairing it? It is about 10 years old so not sure how long these things are meant to last.

Our last one did 14 years before we decided to replace it. We had that repaired at Nantwich marina at about ten years old. They were very helpful and do make hoods too.

11 hours ago, dm6045 said:

Take heed of these very very wise words!! Skip the useless thing and spend the money in a sensible manner on beer.

• Angry 1

4 hours ago, Ian F B said:

Wasn't Priam one of the kings of Persia????

No, Troy. ?

edited to add picture of Priam with a cover over his head.  

PRIAM-PLEADS-WITH-ACHILLESfrom-a-Greek-sacrophagus-date-unknown.jpg.4f48fa93ddcf96e5e99b4d7f05cd7d0b.jpg

Edited by koukouvagia