BCN 250

Featured Posts

It did seem a bit disorganised, I spoke with CRT on Friday lunchtime and was told where the ribbon cutting would be so I was surprised when the lead boat with the VIPs on stopped at Old Turn but the super on there presumed the ceremony would be there given boats were ready to emerge from the Oozel Loop.

We didn't attend the official evening event as didn't want to sit in a theatre for the evening so we went out to the Post Office Vaults.

Sadly any change of plans appear to be laid at the CRT door.

The BCNs planned the schedule and it seems the CRT changed it as the band and children were located at the new location, which historically not correct as it was on the Paradise Street branch, built after 1769 and the procession through the bar lock was onto the Worcester & Birmingham Canal.

The original meeting point was at St Vincents Street Bridge. This was one of the boats awaiting the procession.

DSC_0207r.jpg

The working boats and the VIP boat were on the other side by the Distillery.

At 12 50 boats moved to the intended starting point as arranged with the CRT by the BCNs

There were NO communications between the CRT and BCNs-to tell them (the BCNs) of the alterations, it seems.

So the VIP boat and the two working boats lined up  at the Old Turn Junction with some on the loop and others on the main line. Behind the working boats on the main line came the tugs.

The group were then sent onto a ribbon stretched across the canal by the Pit Stop.

At about 1320 the ribbon was cut and the tugs went first with the Governor in front

DSC_0234r.jpg

At the same time the children started their songs.

Scorpio with Leo then passed by.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Heartland

37 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Sadly any change of plans appear to be laid at the CRT door.

The BCNs planned the schedule and it seems the CRT changed it as the band and children were located at the new location, which historically not correct as it was on the Paradise Street branch, built after 1769 and the procession through the bar lock was onto the Worcester & Birmingham Canal.

The original meeting point was at St Vincents Street Bridge. This was one of the boats awaiting the procession.

DSC_0207r.jpg

The working boats and the VIP boat were on the other side by the Distillery.

At 12 50 boats moved to the intended starting point as arranged with the CRT by the BCNs

There were NO communications between the CRT and BCNs-to tell them (the BCNs) of the alterations, it seems.

So the VIP boat and the two working boats lined up  at the Old Turn Junction with some on the loop and others on the main line. Behind the working boats on the main line came the tugs.

The group were then sent onto a ribbon stretched across the canal by the Pit Stop.

At about 1320 the ribbon was cut and the tugs went first with the Governor in front

DSC_0234r.jpg

At the same time the children started their songs.

Scorpio with Leo then passed by.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I was steering Scorpio.

That was very good as a record of Scorpio, including the engine noises- accelerating and slowing down.

Scorpio and Leo started from the Distillery.

DSC_0214r.jpg

They then moved onto the Old Turn. 

DSC_0218r.jpg

Edited by Heartland

Did anyone sing the one which was apparently sung at the original 1769 opening?

I only heard Happy Birthday. I am a afraid CRT and historical research seem incompatible at present.

Still it is nice to reflect on what was. During the 1980's there was a definite and different opinion- one of restoration and bringing the waterways back for general use. This was a time when PRESIDENT was restored and took a trip into central Birmingham.

Here she is passing Deep Cutting Junction.

323034.jpg

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Did anyone sing the one which was apparently sung at the original 1769 opening?

I only heard Happy Birthday. I am a afraid CRT and historical research seem incompatible at present.

Still it is nice to reflect on what was. During the 1980's there was a definite and different opinion- one of restoration and bringing the waterways back for general use. This was a time when PRESIDENT was restored and took a trip into central Birmingham.

Here she is passing Deep Cutting Junction.

323034.jpg

Minus heritage roundabout with CRT heritage signs on it

On 03/11/2019 at 12:01, Heartland said:

Well the chaos went well, I suppose 

Most importantly there were some 50 boats attending with Scorpio and Leo in the calvalcade. It was perhaps one of the shortest calvalcades, which I attended, though, passing under Broad Street Bridge and "winding" at Salvage Turn. The ribbon cutting was between the Pit Stop and the ICC with an actor "James Brindley" cutting the ribbon. There were two other actors one from Aris's Gazette to report to spectacle and an early vet to report on the "osses" (even if he was some 100 years too previous). CRT did well to organise a band and a group of children who sang "Happy Birthday" to the passing calvacade. It was an event that CRT considered important and the CEO was there to witness the proceedings.

For all those who came, they did credit to the moment and it is just the start, there may be an event at Bradley next year to celebrate the construction towards Wolverhampton which reached Tipton and Bilston during 1770. Such an event would also assist the Bradley Locks restoration, for which funding is now being sought

Because the ribbon was not where it was agreed earlier some boats planned to go to the Mailbox and wind, others Cambrian Wharf so missing the new opening point. The boats all set off, some going round Oozells street loop and some straight down the maine line. This  was to try to avoid the build up of boots meeting between the tunnel and the bar. 

On 03/11/2019 at 22:03, Rob-M said:

Footage of the parade filmed from Scorpio's engine 'ole 

I have a nice piece of video that a guest on my boat took as we met after they had winded at the Mailbox.