Broad Beam Bingo

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

Do the fatarse oops, sorry, wide beam boats on the GU ever move?

We're heading North and are amusing ourselves by awarding points to moored widebeams as we pass.

Points are awarded for:

• Squared off rear end.
  • Pram cover. Extra points if said cover contains drying washing.
  • Wheel rather than tiller for steering.
  • Satellite dish covered by one of them dome thingys.
  • Pointy front end. Extra points if surmounted by a dragonish thing.
  • Fat Buddah or similar facing forward at front.

Sadly, as of this evening, we haven't scored a full house but like some of the people in Derbyshire, we live in hope.

?

Theres at least 3 of those....so keep looking.

On a brighter note , for canal dwellers anyway, but not those who may lose their jobs, Nottingham Boat Co has gone into administration this week, responsible for some of the worst looking floating flats on the Trent,Soar and GU.

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

We're heading North and are amusing ourselves by awarding points to moored widebeams as we pass.

Points are awarded for:

• Squared off rear end.

Sadly, as of this evening, we haven't scored a full house but like some of the people in Derbyshire, we live in hope.

?

You missed lots of lovely space to live in, and no rocking when you walk from one side to the other

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Points are awarded for:

• Squared off rear end.

?

You also missed of excessive HEIGHT. 

There is one fffugly fatbote the moors bang opposite me once in a while that must be a good 18" higher at the roofline than the average NB that moors in the same spot.  I can see the picturesque hill and fields over the roofline of narrow boats that moor there but not this particular fatbote. Just acres of painted steel facing me across the cut. 

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You also missed of excessive HEIGHT. 

There is one fffugly fatbote the moors bang opposite me once in a while that must be a good 18" higher at the roofline than the average NB that moors in the same spot.  I can see the picturesque hill and fields over the roofline of narrow boats that moor there but not this particular fatbote. Just acres of painted steel facing me across the cut. 

But surely if a slightly taller narrowboat moored there you would still see the same amount of painted steel as you are only looking at the side of the boat.:blink:

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

You missed lots of lovely space to live in, and no rocking when you walk from one side to the other

Big comfy superking bed, superb large comfy sofa and electric recliner, huge shower, kitchen you can move around in and at least two can cook there at the same time with ease, better handling, more stable especialy in a spring tide, just to mention some of the things I had in my fabulous widebeam.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Big comfy superking bed, superb large comfy sofa and electric recliner, huge shower, kitchen you can move around in and at least two can cook there at the same time with ease, better handling, more stable especialy in a spring tide, just to mention some of the things I had in my fabulous widebeam.

Never had you down as one to help in kitchen Smelly. Just goes to show how wrong you can be. ?

• Haha 1

Just now, cuthound said:

Never had you down as one to help in kitchen Smelly. Just goes to show how wrong you can be. ?

:P Actualy I am a bloody good cook!! It come with the territory with pubs and caffs etc. Not as good as the missus or the son but I can boil a mean pan of water :D

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

:P Actualy I am a bloody good cook!! It come with the territory with pubs and caffs etc. Not as good as the missus or the son but I can boil a mean pan of water :D

Sounds like your culinary skills are better than mine, however I'm quite good at burning toast. ?

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

But surely if a slightly taller narrowboat moored there you would still see the same amount of painted steel as you are only looking at the side of the boat.:blink:

No, all you would see would be the roof (or the baseplate) - a tall narrow boat would capsize! :lol::help:

47 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Another new one been lifted in today, mostly chrome fittings except for a few brass ones.

On it's way down to .........

20190524_122732.jpg

Well? wheres it going in, clearly not a big waterway like we have up North

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

GU at Stowe Hill at a guess.

I dont get it? Here a 1000 ton oil tanker passes me twice a week, this waterway was designed for big boats like most of the North, its got to be a struggle on a converted waterway?