Lovely southhall

Foss62

Featured Posts

Hi

just had the pleasure of travelling through southhall in London...what has happened to that part of the canal,have crt given up as the rubbish thrown in the canal is horrendous,plastic bags litter everywhere including my prop several times.so disappointing as was looking forward to that bit into London .anyone else been that way lately ???

4 minutes ago, Foss62 said:

Hi

just had the pleasure of travelling through southhall in London...what has happened to that part of the canal,have crt given up as the rubbish thrown in the canal is horrendous,plastic bags litter everywhere including my prop several times.so disappointing as was looking forward to that bit into London .anyone else been that way lately ???

So its as it always has been then.

dont get fooled its been a dump since it was a dump. As i recall the night soil barges used to dump from london and the tradition has been steadfastly continued.

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Should we really blame CRT when it's the local residents who treat the canal as a rubbish dump?  

But... but... the canal is the best bit of Southall!!

OTOH the further north you go, the better the GU gets. 

(Up to a point!) 

Back in the  early 70's the Hanwell thicket was my home & many of my retired boatmen worked for waterways & occupied most of the cottages there.

The cottages & gardens  where looked after & kept clean & Tidy .

The Canal even then was a bit of a dumping ground for animals & rubbish not to mention suicide victims but was soon cleared or reported by the ex boatman in the cottage nearest to the problem.

A lot has to be said for the amount of cottages & land  that had now been sold off to the private sector & C.R.T.  seem to turn a blind eye or be too late with replys  .I have several times over the years been invited to litter picks & clean ups in the area for most of them to not happen due to lack of help or permission e.c.t.

So until C.R.T. stop turning a blind eye i can not see the situation changing 

• 1 month later...

Definitely gets better the further from London you get,now on the Erewash canal which is ok but not great at the top as nothing there .wendover arm was nice as was Aylesbury arm.trying to decide whether to go across to Llangollen as got 6 weeks before return to the Kennet and Avon.definately got time ??