Rudder

Carl123

Featured Posts

I could be wrong, but have always thought that the angle iron was to form a step to enable one to get out of the water if fallen in. I have no idea if it has the effect that you are looking for sorry.

Edited by Guest

Is this a steel narrowboat/widebeam, or plastic cruiser? What are you travelling on when you see it, shallow canal, or deep canal/river? How fast are you trying to go? On a shallow canal, trying to go too fast just sucks the back of the boat down, creates more wash and you don't go any faster. May even slow you down. Apologies if you know this already.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Is this a steel narrowboat/widebeam, or plastic cruiser?

There's another thread here from last year, obviously only Carl knows what's going on but this might help shine a light on the bigger picture. 

Edited by Tumshie

15 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

There's another thread here from last year, obviously only Carl knows what's going on but this might help shine a light on the bigger picture. 

I'd forgotten that thread. Contributed a bit to it as well, especially the advice about hitting it with a big hammer! Surprising how many of life's problems that solves... So it is a Piper boat, similar to mine. Not sure if it is one of David's, or Simon's if from 2002, but the design of rudder is identical. Piper boats swim and steer pretty well, so it makes me wonder if there is something else going on, other than a rudder problem with @Carl123's boat.

Jen

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Is this of interest?

Pics of my rudder included. 

Interesting. Wondering if the lift on the rudder could actually lift it out of the bottom bearing cup on the skeg with the design used on Piper shells.

Jen

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Is this a steel narrowboat/widebeam, or plastic cruiser? What are you travelling on when you see it, shallow canal, or deep canal/river? How fast are you trying to go? On a shallow canal, trying to go too fast just sucks the back of the boat down, creates more wash and you don't go any faster. May even slow you down. Apologies if you know this already.

Jen

Yes I do its a steal narrow boat I'm on about 800 rpm which I'm crawling along then go up a few rpm I start to get the wash bubbling up from the back of  the boat 

3 hours ago, Carl123 said:

Hi iv got it sorted now thanks to every one for there in put I'm putting this topic to bed now kind regards Carl

Great news. For the benefit of future readers, what do you do to sort it?

On 24/05/2019 at 14:39, cuthound said:

Great news. For the benefit of future readers, what do you do to sort it?

I have been told that welding flat plates on both sides of the rudder will help it so I'll try that 

Just a thought, - I believe Piper boats don't have baffle plates fitted to the weed hatch cover.  This may or may not be contributing to the problem, but if you are having the boat docked for mods to the rudder I would consider having a baffle plate fitted, it would at least eliminate another possible cause. 

6 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Just a thought, - I believe Piper boats don't have baffle plates fitted to the weed hatch cover.  This may or may not be contributing to the problem, but if you are having the boat docked for mods to the rudder I would consider having a baffle plate fitted, it would at least eliminate another possible cause. 

Your belief is correct - certainly of the trad stern ones where the weed hatch is under the steerer's step and access is behind the engine on top of the uxter plate.   I doubt you'd get the weed hatch out with a plate added given the restricted head room. That said, I have this plate free arrangement and it causes no issues.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Your belief is correct - certainly of the trad stern ones where the weed hatch is under the steerer's step and access is behind the engine on top of the uxter plate.   I doubt you'd get the weed hatch out with a plate added given the restricted head room. That said, I have this plate free arrangement and it causes no issues.

It was years ago when I looked at an old Piper (with a cruiser stern) someone mentioned that you will never find an original Piper with a baffled weed hatch cover.  I was intrigued and actually spoke to Dot Piper about it she confirmed that they didn't fit them as they were considered unnecessary and without the baffle it does make the hatch cover a lot easier to remove.  I'm not 100% about it today as I'm talking about some time ago and Piper's policy/practice may have changed.

15 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

It was years ago when I looked at an old Piper (with a cruiser stern) someone mentioned that you will never find an original Piper with a baffled weed hatch cover.  I was intrigued and actually spoke to Dot Piper about it she confirmed that they didn't fit them as they were considered unnecessary and without the baffle it does make the hatch cover a lot easier to remove.  I'm not 100% about it today as I'm talking about some time ago and Piper's policy/practice may have changed.

Mine's a 2008 Simon Piper boat Niel.  Whilst they still refer to narrowboats on their website, Piper appear to focus on replica Dutch barges nowadays.  I doubt they've put much fresh design effort into their well-proven narrowboat shells, so I'd be surprised if they've changed - nor can I see a reason to do so in terms of the weed hatch.