Replacement propeller

B2019

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, B2019 said:

My boat has no propeller attached now. I'm looking for a cheap replacement. Boat has easy access for replacement via weed hatch. Any ideas? Sizes etc?

Loads more info needed!!

Absolutely none - no idea at all

It would help if you gave us a few little details, like size of boat, type of engine and gearbox, other trifles like that

And bloody good luck tightening up the prop nut through the weedhatch, I tightened mine by standing on a six foot scaffold pole

Richard

My boat has no propeller attached now. I'm looking for a cheap replacement. Boat has easy access for replacement via weed hatch. Any ideas? Sizes etc?

IMG_20190522_154638564.jpg

IMG_20190522_154643259.jpg

You might get a response if you have a tad more info. Size and type of boat ( dinghy or narrow boat, engine horse power shaft Diam etc

more info will help those trying to help. 

Howard

Just now, matty40s said:

Erm, yes, it goes on the outside.

????. Many thanks. It's hard to take a picture of the Shaft on the outside as under water. I'm just wondering whether all narrowboat propellers are genetic. 

Just now, howardang said:

You might get a response if you have a tad more info. Size and type of boat ( dinghy or narrow boat, engine horse power shaft Diam etc

more info will help those trying to help. 

Howard

Saab narrowboat engine. Diameter is 1.5 inches. 

How many horsepower does your engine provide? What engine and gearbox are fitted? What is the length of your boat.

Once you have the above you can use one of the online prop calculators to determine size and pitch.

Far to many variables ;

A couple of questions to start with :

What space (distance) is their between the shaft and the bottom of the counter ?

What size id the shaft (diameter)

What taper is there on the shaft (1:10, 1:12 ???)

What is the tickover and WoT rpm of the engine ?

2 minutes ago, B2019 said:

????. Many thanks. It's hard to take a picture of the Shaft on the outside as under water. I'm just wondering whether all narrowboat propellers are genetic. 

There are different shaft sizes, prop sizes, pitches, left hand, right hand and musnt forget Axiom ?

3 minutes ago, B2019 said:

Saab gg 10bhp 1960s hot bulb engine. 

I'd go with this thread:

Talk to Jonno at Braunston

Richard

And Hot Bulb it aint 

Edited by RLWP

Post by Casper may be of interest to the OP :

I had a Sabb 10hp in my 43 foot boat, which I think was about the max length. Of course it will push a 56 foot boat but not fast and no stopping power or power for rivers.

My single cylinder Sabb sounded wonderful, far nicer than the twin. It also never managed to rev anywhere near to the max 1800 rpm.

Casp'

Mine was 1979, any earlier and they have a weird gearbox set up where a special (expensive) propeller is needed to achieve reverse. I sold mine a couple of years ago for £600, it went into a little sea going fishing boat.

A stab in the dark, that looks to me like an 1 1/4" shaft and will prolly have a 1:10 taper on it. You'll need to find out the size of Woodruff keyway in it, and get a blade to match and a key. Press some plasticine into the grove to find out the rough size. 

Use a vernier to measure what the taper really is, and the length of blade boss you need. Use plasticine again to determine the nut thread, and get a nut and washer.

As Richard says, tightening the nut enough in the water will be a challenge but not as difficult as drilling and pinning it, to stop it coming off again.

Finding a blade from scratch exactly the right fit is hard enough with the boat out of the water so I doubt you'll achieve it in. My advice is to dock it and do all the measuring, then get a blade made to suit then dock it again to put it on. 

Oh and for blade size, pay Crowther to tell you what to get. My guess would be about 13 x 9 if you have a 2:1 reduction box. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A stab in the dark, that looks to me like an 1 1/4" shaft and will prolly have a 1:10 taper on it. You'll need to find out the size of Woodruff keyway in it, and get a blade to match and a key. Press some plasticine into the grove to find out the rough size. 

Use a vernier to measure what the taper really is, and the length of blade boss you need. Use plasticine again to determine the nut thread, and get a nut and washer.

As Richard says, tightening the nut enough in the water will be a challenge but not as difficult as drilling and pinning it, to stop it coming off again.

Finding a blade from scratch exactly the right fit is hard enough with the boat out of the water so I doubt you'll achieve it in. My advice is to dock it and do all the measuring, then get a blade made to suit then dock it again to put it on. 

Oh and for blade size, pay Crowther to tell you what to get. My guess would be about 13 x 9 if you have a 2:1 reduction box. 

I doubt the prop end uses a woodfuff key. 

28 minutes ago, B2019 said:

I'm looking for a cheap replacement.

Just noticed this bit.

My gut feeling i this is gonna leave you about £600 lighter, by the time you have a blade (possibly second hand) properly fitted.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I doubt the prop end uses a woodfuff key. 

Good point. Sloppy use of language on my part. It will be a feather key.

Prolly!

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just noticed this bit.

My gut feeling i this is gonna leave you about £600 lighter, by the time you have a blade (possibly second hand) properly fitted.

Good point. Sloppy use of language on my part. It will be a feather key.

Prolly!

Yurst, a sraight Feather key