Replacement propeller

B2019

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Axiom are no longer..

Yes I know. It was a pee take, there are second hand ones available however!! My bro in law sold his last year and some mug actualy gave him some money for it ?

13 minutes ago, gbclive said:

Something much easier to kick off with?

The bilge pump hose seems to be rubbing against the prop shaft?

And that’s a bloody stupid place for the greaser...

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And that’s a bloody stupid place for the greaser...

Actually I have it on good authority that all stern tube greasers come with the same installation instructions.

"On no account fit this in an accessible location.  preferably fit in a position that makes it as difficult as possible to a) screw in the plunger b) unscrew the tube for refilling.  The intention is to ensure the operator empties the contents of their trouser pockets in the bilge, gets as filthy as possible and hopefully sustains permanent injury.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Actually I have it on good authority that all stern tube greasers come with the same installation instructions.

"On no account fit this in an accessible location.  preferably fit in a position that makes it as difficult as possible to a) screw in the plunger b) unscrew the tube for refilling.  The intention is to ensure the operator empties the contents of their trouser pockets in the bilge, gets as filthy as possible and hopefully sustains permanent injury.  

That explains a lot. I’ve never seen the proper instructions before. 

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm assuming the OP has been paid to take this off someone's hands just to get rid of it.

So throwing some money at it is not a total waste.

I totally agree. Spending loads of money won't get it sorted. A lot of the work on the boat I will have to do myself. I bought the boat with the view that it had a brand new BSS and everything was in sound condition but no... I will come back in a few months to explain the full situation but at the moment I can't for legal reasons. But spread the word---- always get a survey done when you buy a boat unless you are very knowledgeable on narrow boats. 

Edited by B2019
Word
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

My stern gland greaser was clearly installed by someone using those instructions. Use of the greaser requires moving a step/box out of the way, removing two engine cover boards, opening a small door and then crawling forward slightly on hands and knees. Miss out any of these and the greaser remains out of reach by just a few inches. Perhaps I should have grown longer arms.

I think there must have been similar instructions used for the installation of the weed hatch.

1 minute ago, Lily Rose said:

My stern gland greaser was clearly installed by someone using those instructions. Use of the greaser requires moving a step/box out of the way, removing two engine cover boards, opening a small door and then crawling forward slightly on hands and knees. Miss out any of these and the greaser remains out of reach by just a few inches. Perhaps I should have grown longer arms.

I think there must have been similar instructions used for the installation of the weed hatch.

On the last boat I had it would originally have been impossible to access the weed hatch at least for someone of normal stature.  One of the first mods made to the boat was making a lid in the stern deck to be able to get at the hatch and even then it was a pain.   On my current boat removing the hatch involves partially dismantling the hydraulic steering mechanism.  Even then you cannot reach the prop with your bare hands. 

But thank goodness I don't have a greaser to worry about these days.

Those instructions must have got lost on our boat. The greaser is next to the weedhatch underneath a large deckboard

It's probably a cruiser-stern thing, most bits are reasonably accessible

Richard

2 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Sorry but I have to ask..........Why not re- position it ?

36 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

what happened to it?

Someone stole it but don't worry I just fitted a hidden camera on it last week. Face caught on camera... I know the person who actually stole it on camera, awaiting recovery or police will be called. 

2 minutes ago, B2019 said:

Someone stole it but don't worry I just fitted a hidden camera on it last week. Face caught on camera... I know the person who actually stole it on camera, awaiting recovery or police will be called. 

Someone stole your propeller????

Near impossible with boat in the water I'd say. Or was it out at the time? More to this than meets the eye, presumably. 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Someone stole your propeller????

Near impossible with boat in the water I'd say. Or was it out at the time? More to this than meets the eye, presumably. 

It's got a really big weed hatch and propeller can be reached very easily. It was in the water at the time but I'm starting to think it was fitted by the original bodger builder of the boat and probably had wrong non locking nut on it. 

3 minutes ago, B2019 said:

It's got a really big weed hatch and propeller can be reached very easily. It was in the water at the time but I'm starting to think it was fitted by the original bodger builder of the boat and probably had wrong non locking nut on it. 

It's still an odd thing to do. A propeller the size of yours probably has a scrap value of perhaps twenty quid. Was it really worth the effort and the risk?

On the other hand if the person you suspect had an actual use for it..... have they put it to use yet? 

9 hours ago, RLWP said:

Those instructions must have got lost on our boat. The greaser is next to the weedhatch underneath a large deckboard

It's probably a cruiser-stern thing, most bits are reasonably accessible

Richard

Moi aussi.

13 hours ago, B2019 said:

No it wasn't? I'm curious... Whats wrong with Leighton Buzzard?

It's a shitole

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's still an odd thing to do. A propeller the size of yours probably has a scrap value of perhaps twenty quid. Was it really worth the effort and the risk?

I knew a bloke who had his engine, gearbox and solid fuel stove nicked, but they didn't take his propellor!

I took some measurements today: 

Nut size- 3 inches in circumference

Beginning of outside propeller to end of shaft- 4 inches in length. 

Screw - 1.5 inches in length

Gap between driveshaft and top of ridge as seen in weed hatch picture- 7 inches 

Forward drive the drive shaft turns left. 

Reverse drive the shaft turns right. 

Engine is 10bhp and rpm of 1800. 

36 foot long narrowboat by 6 door wide. 

IMG_20190523_123120330.jpg

IMG_20190523_123126756.jpg

Edited by B2019
Pictures

2 minutes ago, B2019 said:

Gap between driveshaft and top of ridge as seen in weed hatch picture- 7 inches

If that is correct it would suggest that your prop MUST be under 14" diameter, that is remarkably small.

3 minutes ago, B2019 said:

Forward drive the drive shaft turns left. 

Reverse drive the shaft turns right. 

When looking at the shaft from where ?

(ie stood at the back of the boat looking forward 'in forward' does it turn to the left - Port, and vice versa for reverse)

It does help to use the standard nomenclature of Port and Starboard

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If that is correct it would suggest that your prop MUST be under 14" diameter, that is remarkably small.

When looking at the shaft from where ?

(ie stood at the back of the boat looking forward 'in forward' does it turn to the left - Port, and vice versa for reverse)

It does help to use the standard nomenclature of Port and Starboard

So when I start the engine up and put it in forward drive looking forward as if you are sailing forward the drive shaft turns left ( anti- clockwise) and in reverse it turns the other way (clockwise)