Rivers (only) Registration.

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes, that was the bit I was looking for, I know you have been reluctant to post on VAT matters.

To recap then: A 'licence' is exactly what it sounds like – formal permission to do something, without which permission it would be unlawful to do so.

'Registration' is a statutorily imposed identification system having nothing to do with a grant of permission to do anything.

Invariably, all canal enabling Acts conferred a right for the public to keep and use boats on them, but invariably also, there was a requirement for all boats to be registered, so that the companies could keep tabs on the boats for charging purposes, and for identifying the boats in the event of any breach of byelaws.

By contrast, on rivers, the right to keep and use boats derives from the public right of navigation, and such things as registration requirements did not apply either.

Note that even on rivers, charges could be made for things authorised as chargeable by statute, e.g passage through locks.

From the passage of the 1968 Transport Act, all conferred navigation rights were abolished. That expressly excluded navigation rights that were not conferred, even if confirmed by some statute. Following 1968 therefore, use by boats of the canals became permissive as opposed to use of the rivers where it remained as of right.

In 1975 the BW Act was passed adding to the byelaw making powers a power to demand and charge for licences on the non-river waterways, and accordingly the 1975 byelaws were passed making it obligatory to display licences on the canals. Sadly, BW were in such a rush they forgot that they had not passed the necessary byelaw to make licences compulsory in the first place (!) so the very next year they abolished the 1975 byelaws and passed new ones, making the licence obligatory AND requiring prominent display of same. Registration continued as it always had been, compulsory.

The 1971 Act had made no licensing obligatory for boats on rivers, it simply imposed a registration requirement on some of them (the number increased over the years) for a small charge, issue of which could not be refused, nor any conditions attached. Once having paid for this registration for pleasure boats, they were freed from the previous toll demands for individual lock passage.

Not until 1995 were any conditions applied to issue of river registrations, and the conditions were limited to the three we all know so well. Of course, if the old BW/CaRT argument over s.43 of the 1962 Act held true, none of the relevant Acts would have been needed, but the argument being nonsense, the statutes were indeed necessary before any of these conditions of use and charging could be made.

The old BW EoG 'Informative' was broadly accurate in setting out the details and history in abbreviated and elliptical form.

I suppose, from a VAT viewpoint, the charges for registration could be considered to be merely covering an administrative cost, whereas charges for licences could be considered as payment for an offered service or product. The 1983 watering down of the charge level distinction might well attenuate the difference - in perception anyway.

7 minutes ago, NigelMoore said:

To recap then: A 'licence' is exactly what it sounds like – formal permission to do something, without which permission it would be unlawful to do so...…………………………….

Many thanks - I'll file and read thru carefully.

The C&RT fee table says the sums include VAT.

Good luck with your claim.  

I dont think you will get anywhere with it.

We are paying a fee to use the moorings and the locks. The locks are manned and maintenance has to be completed.

There are costs to manage the volunteers. Therefore I think they will say we are paying for a service and VAT is payable.

12 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Therefore I think they will say we are paying for a service and VAT is payable.

We are either paying for a Licence, a Registration or a service.

The law says we are paying for a Registration. How they apportion their costs internally is up to them.