Daffodil.....(photos)

NB Esk

Featured Posts

Latest project to arrive at the wharf, as can be seen, lots to do to it but would be interesting to find out more about it.

Known so far, Daffodil built along with it's sister Hyacinth.  Possibly carried the name "Heart of oak " at some point.  20' x 5' beam, supposedly built for the Bridgewater company as a maintenance boat.  As can be seen, mega strong.  Carries the original index plates, B0939.

Not noticed that style of numbering before, what might the "B" denote?  Interested in any other info, thanks....

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

14 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Latest project to arrive at the wharf, as can be seen, lots to do to it but would be interesting to find out more about it.

Carries the original index plates, B0939.

Not noticed that style of numbering before, what might the "B" denote?  Interested in any other info, thanks....

The prefix letter 'B' denotes an index number issued for use on the Bridgewater Canal and those operated by the same company (edit = if there are any). This helps to separate from the similar index number system established by British Waterways Board in 1980. Some boats have both types of index number :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

Couple more pics of this boat, in case anyone is up on the Bridgewater co.  The boat came with a Simpson Lawrence (Glasgow) mushroom vent.  Did they have anything to do with boat building or did they just supply fittings?

Thanks again.....

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

27 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

The boat came with a Simpson Lawrence (Glasgow) mushroom vent.  Did they have anything to do with boat building or did they just supply fittings?

https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/90c596a2-cfa8-3c97-97a6-c934f8851730

This site says they were just chandlery and yacht equipment suppliers. They are no longer trading.

43 minutes ago, philjw said:

https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/90c596a2-cfa8-3c97-97a6-c934f8851730

This site says they were just chandlery and yacht equipment suppliers. They are no longer trading.

Thanks, that just about mirrors what I've been able to find out.

This is the boat that was / is called Heart of Oak and based at the Pickerings Bridge moorings at Grappenhall on the Bridgewater Canal.

I've known this boat since around 1996 and was ownded by an elderly gentleman. During one of our many short conversations he said that the boat was built initially as one of the ferries for crossing the Manchester Ship Canal. 

He died years ago, no idea of dates, and the boat passed to a woman who hung around mainly in Stockton Heath. It  then passed to her son when she upgraded to a larger standard narrowboat.

This boat had 2 cabins at different heights and widths. The inside was stripiped and the forward end of the cabin was removed by the son leaving the boat as seem in the picture. Unfortunately the boat was left with a poorly covered "open hold" and sank a couple of times before being pumped out.

The engine, a very small single cylinder diesel expired and maybe still on the bank at Pickerings Bridge. I towed this boat from Stockton Heath to the dry dock at Runcorn (Sprinch dock) and was surprised at the weight of it compared to the size.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

This is the boat that was / is called Heart of Oak and based at the Pickerings Bridge moorings at Grappenhall on the Bridgewater Canal.

I've known this boat since around 1996 and was ownded by an elderly gentleman. During one of our many short conversations he said that the boat was built initially as one of the ferries for crossing the Manchester Ship Canal. 

He died years ago, no idea of dates, and the boat passed to a woman who hung around mainly in Stockton Heath. It  then passed to her son when she upgraded to a larger standard narrowboat.

This boat had 2 cabins at different heights and widths. The inside was stripiped and the forward end of the cabin was removed by the son leaving the boat as seem in the picture. Unfortunately the boat was left with a poorly covered "open hold" and sank a couple of times before being pumped out.

The engine, a very small single cylinder diesel expired and maybe still on the bank at Pickerings Bridge. I towed this boat from Stockton Heath to the dry dock at Runcorn (Sprinch dock) and was surprised at the weight of it compared to the size.

Thanks (& to TheBiscuits) that info really helps, I'll pass it on to the owner.  It's extremely heavy for it's size, the hull being 10mm throughout.  I put it where it is presently sitting and this required the crane boom to be lowered to a shallow angle, pleased when it landed safely.

Heart of Oak was mine and I passed it on to my nephew, not son. There were two boats made, one called Daffodil  (Heart of Oak) and one called Dasie.

They were used on the Manchester Ship canal to service the locks, transport diving gear and were also used as ice breakers.

• Greenie 2

15 hours ago, Kezza said:

Heart of Oak was mine and I passed it on to my nephew, not son. There were two boats made, one called Daffodil  (Heart of Oak) and one called Dasie.

They were used on the Manchester Ship canal to service the locks, transport diving gear and were also used as ice breakers.

Thanks for this.  Work is currently underway to put the boat back into use, so I'll try to update with photos at some point.