Leicester line moorings - advice pls

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

I am shortly to venture north of Foxton for the first time since 1981. It may have changed a bit since then. I'm looking for a safeish place to leave the boat for 24 hours, while I hop on a taxi and then train (from Leicester). Looking at the map possible options are:

• Kilby bridge (87)
  • Blaby Brudge (98)
  • Freestone Bridge Aylestone (106)
  • the pontoons just to the south of West Bridge (3). I believe these are reasonably secure, but limited capacity.

Grateful for any thoughts, based on local (and more recent!)  knowledge.  I suspect the first and last items on the list are best. Given timings, and where I am starting from, I don't really want to look north of Leicester.

Many thanks

We moor at Debdale Wharf and Id agree that either Kilby Bridge or the pontoons/castle gardens would be my choice..... or if time permits then go down the Harborough arm and use the moorings there which imho would be better...if you wanted to pay you can always stay in the basin with a hook up if needed......you could then walk to harborough station in about 20 mins which would be one stop into Leicester or get a train south. 

Leicester is getting better but id be wary of leaving my boat unattended outside of the above moorings....im sure it would be fine but.....

Also the locks from Kibworth northwards can be heavy going mainly due to lack of use sadly....you will also need a CRT key for some....

I only got as far as Kilby Bridge (from Foxton direction) on my short trip back home in January.  Moored up a few hundred metres short of the bridge and there was no trouble - very quiet.  

I have stopped at 1 and 4 many times, I have stopped at the other 2, but would not leave my  boat there unattended. I used to live in the area, my daughter still does, so it's not just hearsay.

There are also new mooring pontoons the other side of West Bridge now as well.

Both the city centre ones are secure, Kilby Bridge is as secure as any other towpath country mooring.

Be aware that the Leicester Riverside Festival 1st-2nd June will involve many moorings being hogged for the week surrounding it.

7 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks very helpful everyone.  I think I will go for Mkt Harboro on d-1 night and then kilby bridge on d day.

Then three days single handed to Langley Mill on the Erewash, but that's another story. 

Depending on where you need to get a train to and the times etc there is a station at South Wigston which might be a cheaper cab ride.....there are also buses from Kilby Bridge into Leicester but Im not sure of frequency etc.

edited to add

Id Highly recommend booking a taxi at least the day before if not more....they do a lot of contract work and one might not be available if you leave it to the day.

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1

Avoid Market Harborough between 24th May and 2nd June if you plan to catch a train as there won't be any!! Just a bus to Leicester or Kettering. The station is being rebuilt and the track realigned. A revised timetable will be in place for trains to and from St Pancras with extended journey times - trains are using the Manton loop going via Melton Mowbray and Corby.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Avoid Market Harborough between 24th May and 2nd June if you plan to catch a train as there won't be any!! Just a bus to Leicester or Kettering. The station is being rebuilt and the track realigned. A revised timetable will be in place for trains to and from St Pancras with extended journey times - trains are using the Manton loop going via Melton Mowbray and Corby.

Thanks very much. I see what you mean, it will be quicker to go via Nuneaton!  Oddly the works don;t seem to start until after the bank holiday....

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

12 hours ago, Richard T said:

Ahhhh I’d forgotten that bit!! I must admit we now drive to rugby as it’s cheaper to get to london than Harborough!