Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

OK, I bought some weedkiller without reading the seller's feedback, big mistake, he obviously has found a nice living by purchasing goods at a small discount,  and then posting them on, so many are late, as was my weedkiller. I suppose most people just pay up and he gets away with it.

So I had to buy some locally [cheaper too].

I told him of non delivery and asked for a refund, then magically it arrived a week later. After a bit of silence from him, and friendly chat from me, he refuses to refund a fiver, asks for it back, will not refund postage, so he is still in profit.

I find he does this all the time, and I've tried to raise a case on Ebay, but there is no "case" for late delivery.

Edited by LadyG

yes, It was a lapse, but I think I will just report as damaged goods, see how he likes that!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

Always check out the price of stuff in the real world, eBay is often much pricier.  Bought some eye drops from the chemist, £4.99, out of interest priced them on eBay.....£9.99..... and you can't even be sure what's in the bottle.  I think many eBay sellers rely on buying on line being a habit.

What is the scam though, and are you saying that eBay are scamming you?  It really depends on what you mean by late, and if the goods are not faulty then return postage would be your responsibility, but that would be the sellers responsibility not eBay’s.

You have to to understand what stuff cost as in all cases of buying stuff, just because it is on eBay does not mean it is cheap.  It is not unusual when bidding on used stuff to see the price to go to around what you can buy new for, and when you factor in postage the used item can be more expensive than new.

24 minutes ago, john6767 said:

What is the scam though,

I think the scam is you start by sell loads at a zero profit price, undercutting all the competition with your low low price and hoovering up all the business. The you don't actually post out ANY of them until nagged by the customer who didn't receive their goods. 

There will always be a proportion of people who don't notice their item never arrived, or CBA to raise a dispute over it (life's too short), thus furnishing the seller with the occasional 100% profit. 

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

OK, I bought some weedkiller without reading the seller's feedback, big mistake, he obviously has found a nice living by purchasing goods at a small discount,  and then posting them on, so many are late, as was my weedkiller. I suppose most people just pay up and he gets away with it.

So I had to buy some locally [cheaper too].

I told him of non delivery and asked for a refund, then magically it arrived a week later. After a bit of silence from him, and friendly chat from me, he refuses to refund a fiver, asks for it back, will not refund postage, so he is still in profit.

I find he does this all the time, and I've tried to raise a case on Ebay, but there is no "case" for late delivery.

If he sent it by post, he was breaking the law, Pesticides and Weedkillers are prohibited items in both the Uk and Europe.

I don't buy from eBay so I'm obviously missing something here.......

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

he obviously has found a nice living by purchasing goods at a small discount,  and then posting them on,

That's how most retail works, innit?

Here's the bit I don't understand...

1) You bought a thing.

2)You received the thing.

3)Now you want your money back for the thing. 

I get that the item took longer than you would like to arrive with you or got lost in the post, but you did get the item; so what is the scam?

You received the item, it was as it should be, so if you want to return it then you have to pay the return postage, this is not unusual, from my experience. 

So I must be missing something cos I don't understand where the scam it, and I would be interested to know.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Also the scam of paying for fast delivery and it arrives at normal pace.

The scam that winds me up is when you select UK sellers only, but ebay still give you chinese sellers anyway in your search results. More than once I've failed to notice this and bought from china with the associated delay without realising until too late.  

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The scam that winds me up is when you select UK sellers only, but ebay still give you chinese sellers anyway in your search results. More than once I've failed to notice this and bought from china with the associated delay without realising until too late.  

I don't know how eBay pick their sellers, but a lot of Chinese sellers have a British PO Box to make it seem like they have a base in Britain but send you the stuff from China anyway. ?

10 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I don't know how eBay pick their sellers, but a lot of Chinese sellers have a British PO Box to make it seem like they have a base in Britain but send you the stuff from China anyway. ?

Yes the only way to distinguish these fake UK sellers is by the predicted delivery date being 8 or 9 days ahead and no option available for courier or any other faster delivery.

And when the item arrives, it was clearly posted in China. 

Damned clever, these Chinese...

• Greenie 1

I get loads of stuff from Ebay, Never had any trouble only a couple of couriers having trouble finding us.  Always check feed back, delivery dates, where they are, and which courier is important.  Royal mail won't handle any explosives, volatiles like paint, aerosols ect, but other couriers will. I ordered a lighter gas aerosol and it said ''delivered by Royal mail, which I thought was odd.   It came by DPI couriers.  You can sometimes track your package with some couriers and Royal Mail.

22 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I get loads of stuff from Ebay, Never had any trouble only a couple of couriers having trouble finding us.  Always check feed back, delivery dates, where they are, and which courier is important.  Royal mail won't handle any explosives, volatiles like paint, aerosols ect, but other couriers will. I ordered a lighter gas aerosol and it said ''delivered by Royal mail, which I thought was odd.   It came by DPI couriers.  You can sometimes track your package with some couriers and Royal Mail.

I too make hundreds of ebay purchases every year. Never figured out a way of checking which courier they are gonna use though!

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too make hundreds of ebay purchases every year. Never figured out a way of checking which courier they are gonna use though!

Other than volatiles when they say free Royal Mail 2nd class it always is.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Other than volatiles when they say free Royal Mail 2nd class it always is.

Royal Mail is not a courier....

For anything over about £20 in value or bigger than quite small, I find seller send by courier and yes, which one makes quite a lot of difference. If I could select by courier I would always choose DPD. That's why I was interested you seemed to know how to select which courier. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Royal Mail is not a courier....

For anything over about £20 in value or bigger than quite small, I find seller send by courier and yes, which one makes quite a lot of difference. If I could select by courier I would always choose DPD. That's why I was interested you seemed to know how to select which courier. 

. If its not Royal Mail, they usually say  ''Other'' which could be any of em from Yodel to Fedex. 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think the scam is you start by sell loads at a zero profit price, undercutting all the competition with your low low price and hoovering up all the business. The you don't actually post out ANY of them until nagged by the customer who didn't receive their goods. 

There will always be a proportion of people who don't notice their item never arrived, or CBA to raise a dispute over it (life's too short), thus furnishing the seller with the occasional 100% profit. 

Amazon....

On Saturday I was at the Cheese and Grain in Frome and spotted a book, slightly tight for dosh, I noted the title to see if I could get the book of the internet, not to save money, but to delay purchase.

Amazon's price as £17.99, the bookstall was £12.99, when I praised the bookstall holder he said Amazon had cornered the market in books and lost interest, they were now after the grocery stores.... 

21 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Amazon....

On Saturday I was at the Cheese and Grain in Frome and spotted a book, slightly tight for dosh, I noted the title to see if I could get the book of the internet, not to save money, but to delay purchase.

Amazon's price as £17.99, the bookstall was £12.99, when I praised the bookstall holder he said Amazon had cornered the market in books and lost interest, they were now after the grocery stores.... 

Before I moved onto da boat I used to buy my books in a proper shop .... you can't beat browsing in a book shop.. but once space became a premium I got a Kindle and read all sorts of stuff from Amazon .... I have bought a couple of real books from them in the last year or so ... usually as presents or because I specifically wanted a hard copy....

.... and much as I like the convenience of Amazon for so many things - I can't see me doing the weekly shop online as I want to see what I eat before paying for it. It might end up being their step too far.

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

he obviously has found a nice living by purchasing goods at a small discount,  and then posting them on,

I'm not sure that this would be a 'scam', it is normally called 'doing business'.

I regularly buy items from (real) Auctions, ebay, gumtree, Pre-loved etc when I know there is a collectors market for them at higher prices - I'll not normally bother unless I can make 100% mark-up.

I recently bought a rare telescopic sight mount in a big box of assorted bits at a gun auction for £100, I easily sold it (with collectors queuing up) at £300.

Another example was a Personal Locator Beacon on Gumtree for £40, I sold it for £100, & a SatNav at £25 that I sold for £100.

Its something to do in the long dark days of Winter.

If you know a little about the market value of things its easy.

I reckon, if I was so inclined, I could 'make a living' doing it - particularly when folks make spelling mistakes in their listings so it doesn't show up in searches. There is software available that will search ebay for all possible spellings (and near spellings) for whatever word you want - it has found a lot of things for me.

Another 'winner' is when they post poor quality, out of focus photographs so unless you really know what it is you wouldn't bid.

5 hours ago, NB Esk said:

Always check out the price of stuff in the real world, eBay is often much pricier.  Bought some eye drops from the chemist, £4.99, out of interest priced them on eBay.....£9.99..... and you can't even be sure what's in the bottle.  I think many eBay sellers rely on buying on line being a habit.

Eye-watering price... 

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not sure that this would be a 'scam', it is normally called 'doing business'.

I regularly buy items from (real) Auctions, ebay, gumtree, Pre-loved etc when I know there is a collectors market for them at higher prices - I'll not normally bother unless I can make 100% mark-up.

I recently bought a rare telescopic sight mount in a big box of assorted bits at a gun auction for £100, I easily sold it (with collectors queuing up) at £300.

Another example was a Personal Locator Beacon on Gumtree for £40, I sold it for £100, & a SatNav at £25 that I sold for £100.

Its something to do in the long dark days of Winter.

Less 20% income tax of course ?

I only use Ebay click and collect from Argos stores, if product hasn't arrived in 14 days then I get a refund from ebay. If the item subsequently arrives at the argos store then they will automatically return it at no expense to me and with no intervention required on my part. 

Using click and collect also means that I have an indisputable record of item arriving or not arriving. 

Handy for dealing with those non UK Chinese companies purporting to be UK based when in reality they use UK agent addresses. You will often find that the returns address is in Manchester where a number of these companies exist simply to give the Chinese seller an appearance of being UK based. On receipt of your package check the post code and often or not, when you Google it,  you will find it is for a distribution company near Heathrow or another major airport. 

ebay prices for many items may be more than the price in the local shops - but the shops don't deliver it to your door.

I reckon a round trip to our local shops including B&Q costs me about £5 in petrol and if I don't find the item in stock then it was all for nowt.   Anything that is not bulky, and that I do not need immediately, is purchased on Amazon or ebay.

1 hour ago, reg said:

I only use Ebay click and collect from Argos stores, if product hasn't arrived in 14 days then I get a refund from ebay. If the item subsequently arrives at the argos store then they will automatically return it at no expense to me and with no intervention required on my part. 

Using click and collect also means that I have an indisputable record of item arriving or not arriving. 

Handy for dealing with those non UK Chinese companies purporting to be UK based when in reality they use UK agent addresses. You will often find that the returns address is in Manchester where a number of these companies exist simply to give the Chinese seller an appearance of being UK based. On receipt of your package check the post code and often or not, when you Google it,  you will find it is for a distribution company near Heathrow or another major airport.

Not quite so easy when most of your purchases are second hand items being sold by private individuals. I recently sold something, and eBay automatically included the click and collect option, which proved a nightmare when the buyer chose that option, but did not know how to activate it correctly. After several attempts to resolve matters, I simply sent it to his home address. I have since found how to disable all the automatic options that eBay try to impose on their sellers.