Help to pass BSS and electrical issues

B2019

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, B2019 said:

How is this looking now?

The idea is that you have only have one cable on each terminal (except where linking batteries together).

A SINGLE cable should go from the Black (negative) terminal to the busbar, and then all other cables / wires are tapped off the busbar, and then the same for the red (positive)

It looks as if you still have a 'multi-legged' spider on both your + & - terminals.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The idea is that you have only have one cable on each terminal (except where linking batteries together).

A SINGLE cable should go from the Black (negative) terminal to the busbar, and then all other cables / wires are tapped off the busbar, and then the same for the red (positive)

It looks as if you still have a 'multi-legged' spider on both your + & - terminals.

Atm I have wire from ground (the boat) to negative terminal, wire to inverter, wire to Bush bar and wire for solar. So should I connect inverter to Bush bar and wire from solar to Bush bar?

4 hours ago, B2019 said:

So should I connect inverter to Bush bar and wire from solar to Bush bar?

I wouldn’t move the inverter cables to the busbar. Leave them going direct to the battery. 

14 hours ago, WotEver said:

I wouldn’t move the inverter cables to the busbar. Leave them going direct to the battery. 

It doesn't make sense. Negative point - 1. Cable to earth, 2nd cable next battery, 3rd cable to inverter, 4th cable to Bush bar and then 5th cable for solar panels. Of course it looks like a spider but what else can I do?

3 minutes ago, B2019 said:

It doesn't make sense. Negative point - 1. Cable to earth, 2nd cable next battery, 3rd cable to inverter, 4th cable to Bush bar and then 5th cable for solar panels. Of course it looks like a spider but what else can I do?

You could move the solar charger to the busbar. That would be one less. 

10 minutes ago, B2019 said:

BUS bar.

17 minutes ago, B2019 said:

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You could move the solar charger to the busbar. That would be one less. 

Move cable 1 to the bus-bar and then from the bus-bar to 'earth'.

I would move the inverter cable to the bus bar.

I'd leave the Soar cable on the terminal.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Move cable 1 to the bus-bar and then from the bus-bar to 'earth'.

I would move the inverter cable to the bus bar.

I'd leave the Soar cable on the terminal.

Perfect thanks. When I move the earth cable to the bush bar do I actually need a cable running from the negative terminal to the bush bar?

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you have lots of cables on it is becomes a "Busy Bar"

if you have too many it might even become a bust bar.

PS: when I had a widebeam all the negatives went to studs fixed to the hull - in my case there was a 30mm lip where the uxter plate overhung the joint with the vertical swim, so I just drilled and fitted three 10mm set screws.   Positives went to a proper bus bar with an insulated base.

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Buzz bar, anyone?

That is how the lecturer at Wigan Technical College used to pronounce it. In Wigan some pronounce the vehicle "Bus" as "Buzz." i.e. "I'm late for't buzz."

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

when I had a widebeam all the negatives went to studs fixed to the hull - in my case there was a 30mm lip where the uxter plate overhung the joint with the vertical swim, so I just drilled and fitted three 10mm set screws.  

Good job you didn’t drill on the other side of the weld... ;)

On 3 July 2019 at 00:08, B2019 said:

Yeah it does. I bought the cap from ASAP supplies. 

"The Perko diesel deck filler suits 38mm (1-1/2") diesel hose and 16mm (5/8") vent hose. This 0540 deck filler features an integral tank vent with a flame arrestor gauze and an anti-surge valve". 

U.S.C.G. Safety Standards, 33 CFR 183

U.S.C.G is United States Coast Guard. 

That standard might not be comparable to the B.S.S test that your boat must pass. 

Bod