Bolt on anode's

Featured Posts

What are people's thoughts on bolt on anode's ?

Currently refitting inside and out.

Have removed all the anode's preparing and repainting then refitting the anode's so I have paint under them.

My dilemma is and i keep doing it is, I have done some painting on the inside of the boat and will end up burning the paint.

Thinking of bolt on I could preempt and just bolt the anode's on when finished.

I have seen a boat with bolt ons just wondering if there is any disadvantages.

IMG_20190518_150852.jpg

Initial reaction -

most anodes are welded on because:-

bolts can shear off causing a leak / flooding

poor contact area for bolts (need a low resistance path for an anode to work - similarly the contact area must be metal to metal and NOT pain on one side

I have stainless bolts welded on for one set of anodes, and one end of the second set, other end is welding straight on. One set is older than the other so I only change one at a time.

Never torn a bolt off.

Would never drill a hole for a bolt.

Not having paint/blacking behind welded anodes shouldn't be a problem as they are the best protected bits of hull on the boat! Shielded from contact by the anode. Shielded from corrosion by the very close proximity cathodic protection of the anode.

What @hider says. Wouldn't bolt through due to the sinking risk if the bolt failed, but would weld a bolt on, in which case you might as well weld the anode anyway as your paint is already burnt.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

My boat was built with bolt on anodes. Two years ago, when the boat was 10 years old, they were due for replacement. The yard where the work was done welded a set of new ones next to the bolt on ones.

Sorry might not of explained very well.

I would not be drilling holes for bolts ?.

If I choose to bolt on I would weld stainless nuts to the hull and machine stainless bolts to fit.

Currently on the bow I have the water tank removed so can still repaint inside so now would be the time.

I was thinking for the future ?? 

If/when they need replacing again I would have to weld again, with bolts on i would not. 

(Thinking aloud) what happens to those who have spray foam insulation when it comes to this for example ? 

I am coating the hull with Zinga too so want to get this right.

@OldGoat are you saying there should not be any paint behind the anode's or it's okay as long as you have good contact through the welded flats?

hope everyone doesn't mind me asking always learning and now's the time for me to get it the best I can for longevity and less work in the future.

thanks everyone for your replys ?

Edited by Tim Gilbert

I dont think I would weld stainless nuts onto the steel hull. that is just another dissimilar metal junction, Also I would weld bolts, as nuts limit the length of thread of the bolts and if the next anode is a little bit thinet it may not clamp tightly under the bolt head.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would weld bolts, as nuts limit the length of thread of the bolts and if the next anode is a little bit thinet it may not clamp tightly under the bolt head.

Yep good point. 

I've got bolt on anodes on my boat which was built by Peter Nichols in 1981 . It is a simple task to unbolt them every two years when I black the hull and then bolt them back on again . The front ones have what can best be described as a metal fairing welded on to protect the anodes from damage . I've owned the boat 32 years and had no problems. 

• Happy 1

You can make anodes last MUCH longer with this clever trick off a new boat

1.Black boat, inc anode bolt stalks. 

2. Fit anodes.

3. Fasten to hull using Nylok nuts.

However, to be fair , they have blacked the bowthruster tube!!!!

20190524_122213.jpg

• Haha 2

On 21/05/2019 at 16:53, Tim Gilbert said:

(Thinking aloud) what happens to those who have spray foam insulation when it comes to this for example ?

The areas at bow and stern where they are attached aren't usually insulated inside. Anodes part way down the sides, if fitted, could be a problem for the internal insulation and if they were sunk in to steel pockets to protect them, then screw stud mounting would be a good idea.

Jen

1 minute ago, hider said:

Tidy job but bend the tab ends in, they will pick up a load of rubbish otherwise.

Ok will do thanks . 

I did think about putting guides at the ends but it's never ending ? excuse the pund