C&RT .... Should they be more active in making the owners of over staying boats move.

Momac

Featured Posts

Why do C&RT fail to take action against boats that are over staying on moorings within a few metres of their own offices?

Those people who are happy to abide by the rules are potentially losing out as the better moorings are occupied by the rule breakers.

Edited by MartynG

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Why do C&RT fail to take action against boats that are over staying on moorings within a few metres of their own offices?

Those people who are happy to abide by the rules are potentially losing out as the better moorings are occupied by the rule breakers.

Presumably you mean outside the Kiln - some of them have been there all Winter, but even if they had Winter moorings, they should have moved off months ago.

The designated winter mooring at Nantwich remained unused all winter.  However several boats spent the winter more or less permsnently on the 24 & 48 Hr visitor moorings.  How much lost revenue does that represent to CRT in just one small location?  Not to mention the inconvenience to visitors, not helped by the rather pointless idea of making the visitor moorings 14 day for the duration.

Although it is now a charitable trust and has restructured more than once it still casts the same shadow it did as a Quango.

They may not have even realised yet that merely writing Mission Statements and getting the expression Customer Care into every second sentence only impresses the sycophants around the board table.

Introducing new rules to capture maximum income and minimise revenue loss was obvious.  However it was solely aimed at those already in the system. 

Nobody likes change, but even more so people lose respect when they can see that trying to play the game raises your own profile as a target for further costs and inconveniences. 

While, operating below the radar seemed to make ne'er do wells invisible leaving only the law abiders to pay the money and follow the new restrictions.

So if you have a selfish disposition, are an opportunist or are a sociopath then C&RT will humour you while losing the respect of their fair playing, fare paying client base.

I wonder how many of their staff understand the basics required to operate an effective inland navigation?  Even the office workers and architects should look at a those who clog up VMs etc and understand it undermines the first principle of their employer.  Do they?

If they don't then where's the shared pride in what they're doing? 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Believe me, some of the CRT employees try their best to get some movement of boaters, or action moving against those who are determined to do nothing to help, or achieve that minimal amount they signed up for.

They face not only their own organisation HR structure, but also management who have as one of their yearly KPI,,'s "less than x percent of complaints" 

By cruising past them for 6 months,  you achieve nothing of information about the said boaters. 

They may well have a short term agreement locally or with head office that illness or other good reason means they have moored there. 

There is nothing in the licence T&C that you have to stick up notices stating your reasons for overstating to the local towpath walkers.

• Greenie 1

A sign at the kiln mooring  indicates the long term winter  mooring period ends mid March. 

Some of the boats may well have been there all winter.  I have not been monitoring them.

There are marinas nearby including kings marina within a 100 yards .I suspect an unwillingness to pay is governing their choice to stay on the visitor pontoon.

Some of them may well have such agreements, but it's unlikely that they all have, or there'd be an awful lot of very sick people living on boats,or just happening to break down on the most convenient moorings. 

Certainly the number of dumpers and overstayers has increased year on year, as has the quantity of boats with no visible licence, name and number. 

Can't say it bothers me that much, but it probably should CRT. 

The boats in question may well be licensed.

On the Trent there aren't all that many places to moor overnight. Therefore any abuse of the rules on 2 day moorings is having an impact on others who may be prevented from stopping.

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Some of them may well have such agreements, but it's unlikely that they all have, or there'd be an awful lot of very sick people living on boats,or just happening to break down on the most convenient moorings. 

Certainly the number of dumpers and overstayers has increased year on year, as has the quantity of boats with no visible licence, name and number. 

Yes we have found this as well.

We expect it to be no different when we are put back in the water next week. It will be the same old boats hogging the same moorings spots as it was the last time we were in the water.

CRT seem unwilling to do anything about it in our cruising area. And we know that people complain about over stayed and unlicensed boats on the visitors moorings yet still nothing gets done about it.

It is only getting worse as CRT continue to do nothing.

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The boats in question may well be licensed.

On the Trent there aren't all that many places to moor overnight. Therefore any abuse of the rules on 2 day moorings is having an impact on others who may be prevented from stopping.

It is very uncommon to not be able to find somewhere to moor in Newark though even if there are boats who have over stayed on the Kiln pontoon. 

9 hours ago, dor said:

The designated winter mooring at Nantwich remained unused all winter.  However several boats spent the winter more or less permsnently on the 24 & 48 Hr visitor moorings.  How much lost revenue does that represent to CRT in just one small location?  Not to mention the inconvenience to visitors, not helped by the rather pointless idea of making the visitor moorings 14 day for the duration.

Winter moorings rarely offer any value. Sometimes they are in miserable spots well away from water or an elsan. 

I tend not to think of 48hr moorings becoming 14 days in winter but good 14 day moorings becoming an irritating and restricting 48 hrs in the summer. 

I can possibly understand the honey pots becoming 48hr, but there are plenty of spots where it’s unnecessary, particularly on the Shroppie and notably on the Middlewitch branch. 

Not advocating rule breaking or supporting it. 

Edited by Goliath

Perhaps the time has come for those with no home mooring to pay a "bond" equivalent to an average years mooring.

If when they come to renew their licence they can provide evidence of correct moving patterns, name and registration number permanently displayed etc, they get their bond back. If not the process is repeated.

Still requires vigilance on behalf of CRT staff to do their job properly but at least brings in more revenue from transgressors.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Perhaps the time has come for those with no home mooring to pay a "bond" equivalent to an average years mooring.

If when they come to renew their licence they can provide evidence of correct moving patterns, name and registration number permanently displayed etc, they get their bond back. If not the process is repeated.

Still requires vigilance on behalf of CRT staff to do their job properly but at least brings in more revenue from transgressors.

But then you’re pointlessly hitting someone (like myself) without a home mooring who doesn’t transgress the rules. 

17 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I applaud the concept but I think the actual operational complexity & costs would both be beyond C&RTs administrative capabilities & outweigh any money collected (remembering that the majority (?) of CCers comply with the rules).

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

But then you’re pointlessly hitting someone (like myself) without a home mooring who doesn’t transgress the rules. 

I appreciate that but the number of boats failing to display registration number of name has increased significantly.

When I moved into my canalside home t years ago this type of boat was perhaps seen once a year. Now it is perhaps 1 in 25 boats.

If nothing is done more and more boaters will do this, i itially costing us more in licence fees, but CRT's eventual action will affect us all and for the worse.

It needs nipping in the bud now.

Earlier this year I received an e mail warning for overstaying on the towpath.  By their records I had been in one spot for 15 days.  What they failed to notice is that the boat had turned round half way through the period which can only be achieved by moving.  On a dead end canal I had spent several days at the terminus before using the same intermediate mooring on the return journey.

I suppose the moral is that CRT are tough but only on potential newbies to the CM community, this being my first "transgression" in 25+ years.

George

2 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Earlier this year I received an e mail warning for overstaying on the towpath.  By their records I had been in one spot for 15 days.  What they failed to notice is that the boat had turned round half way through the period which can only be achieved by moving.  On a dead end canal I had spent several days at the terminus before using the same intermediate mooring on the return journey.

I suppose the moral is that CRT are tough but only on potential newbies to the CM community, this being my first "transgression" in 25+ years.

George

This has happened to friends of mine. 

They’d even travelled the length of two further canals before returning    Not having been spotted out and about, it was thought they’d over stayed. A quick call/email resolved it. 

56 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It is very uncommon to not be able to find somewhere to moor in Newark though even if there are boats who have over stayed on the Kiln pontoon. 

Yes but it would be nice  to be able to use the pontoon for an overnight stop or even to allow a shopping trip.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Have you found data from CaRT to back up that claim regarding non display?

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Yes but it would be nice  to be able to use the pontoon for an overnight stop or even to allow a shopping trip.

The other mooring options in Newark are far more attractive than that dismal pontoon!

In fact the wall behind Castle Barge is in full sun most of the day and is closer to the shops with very little footfall past the boat. Much better than the pontoon and always a spot to moor on there.

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The other mooring options in Newark are far more attractive than that dismal pontoon!

In fact the wall behind Castle Barge is in full sun most of the day and is closer to the shops with very little footfall past the boat. Much better than the pontoon and always a spot to moor on there.

Not ideal for 'tin-slugs' as it tends to be higher than the roof - we found it quite difficult getting the dogs off.

Its fine now (with the cruisier) as it is just a step-down.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not ideal for 'tin-slugs' as it tends to be higher than the roof - we found it quite difficult getting the dogs off.

You should try getting a slightly drunk, overweight and naked tubby bloke out there then..

Yep - been there -done that ?

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's their fault for using the wrong boat for the river.

• Happy 1
  • Horror 1

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

I appreciate that but the number of boats failing to display registration number of name has increased significantly.

When I moved into my canalside home t years ago this type of boat was perhaps seen once a year. Now it is perhaps 1 in 25 boats.

If nothing is done more and more boaters will do this, i itially costing us more in licence fees, but CRT's eventual action will affect us all and for the worse.

It needs nipping in the bud now.

Have you got one of them speed camera boxes set up? I love seeing them. Made from a shoe box and a toilet roll. Painted yellow. 

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Have you got one of them speed camera boxes set up? I love seeing them. Made from a shoe box and a toilet roll. Painted yellow. 

No the only box in my garden is a bird box ?

• Happy 1