C&RT .... Should they be more active in making the owners of over staying boats move.

Momac

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, MartynG said:

Yes but it would be nice  to be able to use the pontoon for an overnight stop or even to allow a shopping trip.

Especially if you're not keen on having to climb a ladder to get to those shops.

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably you mean outside the Kiln - some of them have been there all Winter, but even if they had Winter moorings, they should have moved off months ago.

When we left Kings on the 2 April after spending the winter there I was tempted to take a picture of the overstaying boats and send it to the new Regional Director. But I couldn't be arsed. One of the overstaying boats actually used their bike and wheelchair to block the access ramp. Being charitable I assume to stop their dog escaping rather than to stop CRT challenging them.

When we passed through Beeston later there were several boats there that were also moored there in October on our way downstream. But they could have moved in the interim.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

No, mostly because if they have no name or index number they won't be on a database, will they? 

Which is normal for members of the NBTA and I don't mean the batton tossers. It's not just CR&T not enforcing mooring limits , This was in the Cambs Times a fortnight ago Tougher action is to be taken against boat owners who overstay their welcome at free moorings in March with Fenland District Council vowing to take enforcement action against those breaking the rules.

Edited by nbfiresprite

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

No, mostly because if they have no name or index number they won't be on a database, will they? 

Or if they are on the database, no one can tell which boat they are, even if they do have a licence.

6 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Have you found data from CaRT to back up that claim regarding non display?

He's got a pair of eyes and a few grey cells between the ears to work it out!

In my view anyone without a recognisable home mooring should pay a suppliment on their licence. Reasons include additional demand on fresh water and rubbish disposal.

Head down 

Frank

8 minutes ago, Slim said:

He's got a pair of eyes and a few grey cells between the ears to work it out!

In my view anyone without a recognisable home mooring should pay a suppliment on their licence. Reasons include additional demand on fresh water and rubbish disposal.

Head down 

Frank

Why would a boat with no home mooring use those more than one with a home mooring 

30 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Why would a boat with no home mooring use those more than one with a home mooring 

There was a "CCer" based on the Tring summit in less strict times, two boats strapped together and one of the boats had a full sized bath.

They used to cruise down to the water point every Saturday and have a bath whilst filling the tank. (I presume/hope they used the shower on board the 2nd boat on other days) .

I would think that they would have done this if they had a mooring with a tap too so the story is a bit pointless and doesn't back up Slims assertion.?

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The other mooring options in Newark are far more attractive than that dismal pontoon!

In fact the wall behind Castle Barge is in full sun most of the day and is closer to the shops with very little footfall past the boat. Much better than the pontoon and always a spot to moor on there.

That's not the point.

Other than the winter period the pontoon is intended for short term visitors. The long term squatters taking away a large portion of this facility.

The pontoon does have good safe  access on and off the boats and ashore. There is opportunity for shore power although very limited . It is very handy for pedestrisn access to Waitrose and Aldi not exactly a long walk into Morissons  or into the town shops and pubs. 

25 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's not the point.

Other than the winter period the pontoon is intended for short term visitors. The long term squatters taking away a large portion of this facility.

The pontoon does have good safe  access on and off the boats and ashore. There is opportunity for shore power although very limited . It is very handy for pedestrisn access to Waitrose and Aldi not exactly a long walk into Morissons  or into the town shops and pubs. 

Yes. But you make it sound like you can't moor in Newark at all due to these over stayers which isn't the case. There are plenty of other options available. 

Overstaying is a problem where there are genuinely limited mooring options. Newark isn't a very good example of that.

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes. But you make it sound like you can't moor in Newark at all due to these over stayers which isn't the case. 

I did not intend to suggest there were no moorings available. Just complaing about the over staying boats in general and especially those directly outside C&RT offices.

Mainly  a complaint about lack of enforcement of the rules by C&RT.

On 20/05/2019 at 22:44, dor said:

not helped by the rather pointless idea of making the visitor moorings 14 day for the duration.

Sorry, but what's 'pointless' about it? As CCers, we definitely appreciate having more good 14 day moorings available in winter.

32 minutes ago, magictime said:

Sorry, but what's 'pointless' about it? As CCers, we definitely appreciate having more good 14 day moorings available in winter.

SECONDED. 

What would be even better is if CCers were not excluded from all the best VMs, so they can be sold to well-off pretend CCers as WMs. 

• Greenie 1

Has any of the many people who have contributed to this thread actually tried putting any of their concerns, complaints or suggestions to anybody in CRT?

If so what response if any did you get?

If you haven't do you accept that discussing it on here will not change anything - all you are doing is letting of steam!

40 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Has any of the many people who have contributed to this thread actually tried putting any of their concerns, complaints or suggestions to anybody in CRT?

If you haven't do you accept that discussing it on here will not change anything - all you are doing is letting of steam!

I have communicated with C&RT in the past and received a written response. However not always a helpful response.

Next weekend may involve passing the same spot. Perhaps the owners of the boats involved may have read this and moved off.

55 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Not C&RT, but I have had dealing with Fenland Hall over the misuse and lack of enforcement of the March Town moorings and was in the local paper a few ago.  The reply below, the boat in question will have not moved for year by next week.

Statement in the local paper three weeks ago, Yet the Head of department stated that it woul;d be done from 1st August last year. Do boaters need ten months to understand the mooring rules?

A council spokesman said: “Limited enforcement action has been taken against boaters since the new moorings management scheme was introduced due to an initial period of education so that people could see the signage and understand the new rules”.

This was carried out over the winter when demand for moorings is low but to suggest, says the council, that the council is owed a large sum would be misleading.

Only a small number of mooring charge notices (MCNs) have been issued but now that the boating season is here and boat traffic is increasing the council says it will begin carrying out enforcement against those disobeying the 48 hour mooring rule this week.

Sent: 27 July 2018 08:41
To: 'kaad@engineer.com'
Cc: Phil Hughes
Subject: Overstaying boats & moorings monitoring

Dear Mr Alexander,

Thank you for your recent email to Paul Medd and your previous note to info@fenland.

Overstaying boats are nuisance and have frustrated both residents, businesses and other water users in the past few years.  As you know, Fenland has put in place a scheme on our moorings limiting the time which a boat may moor within a town.  The signs were only put in place recently with the intention of having a period of grace to ensure that mooring users were well aware of the new initiative and could not suggest that the Council was trying to make money by fining people from day 1. That period is almost over and we will start to proactively monitor the moorings from 1 August.

With regards to the boat you mentioned, I will pass details to the Council Tax team when we commence moorings monitoring for their information, should there be a case investigate any tax avoidance.

Kind Regards

Phil

Phil Hughes | Fenland District Council
Head of Leisure Services

6 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Only a small number of mooring charge notices (MCNs) have been issued but now that the boating season is here and boat traffic is increasing the council says it will begin carrying out enforcement against those disobeying the 48 hour mooring rule this week.

Presumably they will then stop enforcement after 'next week'.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably they will then stop enforcement after 'next week'.

No council staff have been seen anywhere near the moorings. Yet the same old Rat boats don't move, Yet the same council still refuse to refund the 4 months council tax for when I was not on the marina mooring last year. It does seem the council is all bark and no bite when it comes to enforcement of the moorings, yet your day late with a tax payment out go the nasty letters.

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

No council staff have been seen anywhere near the moorings. Yet the same old Rat boats don't move, Yet the same council still refuse to refund the 4 months council tax for when I was not on the marina mooring last year. It does seem the council is all bark and no bite when it comes to enforcement of the moorings, yet your day late with a tax payment out go the nasty letters.

Thats the problem with having an address!! Easy targets. Sad but very true. I will admit that years ago in previous life for before a change in the law, travelers were not pulled up for vehicle checks unless absolutely no way out of doing so. Trying to track them down for serving summons etc was  a nightmare so they got left alone.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thats the problem with having an address!! Easy targets. Sad but very true. I will admit that years ago in previous life for before a change in the law, travelers were not pulled up for vehicle checks unless absolutely no way out of doing so. Trying to track them down for serving summons etc was  a nightmare so they got left alone.

It's the fact that they are to slow to reply (Not days, weeks but months). It is not possable to speak to The Anglia Revenues Partnership inperson at there offices or via phone. You be directed to a computer and told to fill out a contact form. It's the same with Fenland Hall they just closed the office in town. If you don't have a computer, your directed to the libary. They also send letters to marina and expect a reply within seven days of the date on the letter (Which is not posted on that date). My own address is in Dorset yet the council keep send letters to the Marina. Fenland class all boats with moorings as second homes

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I have in the past and have always received the same response of they cant discuss individual cases but to be reassured that enforcement of over staying is taken very seriously. 

Which is clearly just a lie as the same boats stay in the same locations month in month out.

37 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I have in the past and have always received the same response of they cant discuss individual cases but to be reassured that enforcement of over staying is taken very seriously. 

Which is clearly just a lie as the same boats stay in the same locations month in month out.

It's clearly  not always a lie of course, because CRT do grant people exceptions, often for months at a time, if they feel their circumstances justify it.

What you can't tell of course when you see  a non-mover is whether it is there legitimately or not.  Probably most are not, but some are.

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It's clearly  not always a lie of course, because CRT do grant people exceptions, often for months at a time, if they feel their circumstances justify it.

What you can't tell of course when you see  a non-mover is whether it is there legitimately or not.  Probably most are not, but some are.

In the case of the overstayers on the Fossditch they are open about the fact that there is very little enforcement so they bend the rules. 

On the whole they are genuinely nice people thet just have no concept of morality.