Chelsea lock garden

Flyboy

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Could have used non leaking gates.

If you have been following the construction of this, they put a lot of effort into making them leak

Richard

28 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It doesn't say, but I'm guessing that is the inside of Stanley Ferry lock gate making building.

Jen

21 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Which is interesting, because I thought they did all the narrow lock gates at Bradley and the wide lock gates at Stanley Ferry. 

I also remember reading that they make lock gates for other navigation authorities as there are very few people left that have the skills needed to do it.

15 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Amazing project. The time lapse video is interesting.   

I think CRT should employ them to rebuild lock entrances, they seem very good at it...

14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Which is interesting, because I thought they did all the narrow lock gates at Bradley and the wide lock gates at Stanley Ferry. 

I also remember reading that they make lock gates for other navigation authorities as there are very few people left that have the skills needed to do it.

I'm not sure we are short of people with the skill, I'd say it is the tooling.

Unusually large machinery is used to make things like lock gates accurately from wood, and it all needs to be set up in a large enough factory space ready to use. I doubt there is enoigh demand for new wooden lock gates to warrant building any more wooden gate manufacturing facilities. 

If a new factory was built, somehow I don't think it would be hard to find staff to operate the machinery to build the gates. Shoot me down if you like, but it doesn't strike me as that difficult!

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Shoot me down if you like, but it doesn't strike me as that difficult!

I always find that when you watch a master of his trade do something it looks extremely easy, and then I have a go as a tyro and it seems much harder.

I'm not sure there are that many people who can make lock gates that don't leak out of Greenheart.  Lock gates are a lot less forgiving than decorative porches ...

Nowadays with modern facilities it makes sense to centralise production and SKILLS facilities to a location where the is space for storage and modern machines to do the work.

It's a shame that real carpentry skills take second place to good equipment - watch those sockets being machined; would take ages by hand.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I always find that when you watch a master of his trade do something it looks extremely easy, and then I have a go as a tyro and it seems much harder.

That was the basis of the Generation Game.

Blurry marvellous when you consider that the whole thing had to be built from scratch on the Old Contemptibles' Lawn.

No prefab, just hard graft. Amazin'

He were on t'telly (BBC2 program started - 20:00), yesterday evening. Fascinating watching the time lapses of the various builds. I didn't realise that the public are allowed to walk around the exhibits after the judging process is over - thus they have to be built pretty solidly.

Great to see that he got a Gold for his efforts!

BTW  it's a short lock 'cos they're all short in Yorkshire aren't they.....