Gas powered heat gun for removing vinyl graphics?

magictime

Featured Posts

We need to get the existing vinyl lettering etc off our cabin prior to repainting, and I understand a heat gun is the tool for the job. In the absence of mains power, though, a gas-powered option would seem to make more sense. Any recommendations? I can see a few options on Amazon but not sure what might best do the job.

27 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Can't you hire a silenced generator for a day and use an electric heat gun?

http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/en/site-electrics/916-generator-2kva-silenced-.html

Well, I guess so, or if I wanted to save some money I could presumably spend a day in a marina with shoreline power. But I'd rather be able to do it bit by bit while travelling, so it seemed worth sounding people out on the gas option.

1 hour ago, magictime said:

We need to get the existing vinyl lettering etc off our cabin prior to repainting, and I understand a heat gun is the tool for the job. In the absence of mains power, though, a gas-powered option would seem to make more sense. Any recommendations? I can see a few options on Amazon but not sure what might best do the job.

Just one thing, you dont need paint stripper type heat to shift it. A hairdryer is usualy good enough. Still need mains though ☹️

Not done it, but I think any blowtorch would work. Keep the flame on the move. Keep the flame close to, but not touching the vinyl. It doesn't need to be very warm to soften the adhesive and get a fingernail under the vinyl, or a scraper blade. As soon as the vinyl can be peeled, that is warm enough. Little risk to the paint underneath and no risk to the insulation under the steel. All this assumes a steel sided boat of course.

Jen

@mrsmelly Please please change your avatar picture!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Not done it, but I think any blowtorch would work. Keep the flame on the move. Keep the flame close to, but not touching the vinyl. It doesn't need to be very warm to soften the adhesive and get a fingernail under the vinyl, or a scraper blade. As soon as the vinyl can be peeled, that is warm enough. Little risk to the paint underneath and no risk to the insulation under the steel. All this assumes a steel sided boat of course.

Jen

@mrsmelly Please please change your avatar picture!

I think our hopefuly future PM is quite a handsome chap ?

• Horror 1

An old fashioned electric kettle with a bit of tube extension to the spout will steam en off.   We used steam cleaner on vans but they were in for re-paint anyway. A modern kettle might do if you can stuff a tube into the spout.  A gas kettle could also be used by holding a small camping gas stove up under its bottom whilst working.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I think our hopefuly future PM is quite a handsome chap ?

I used to like those satirical cartoons where the artist drew him as a big old bungling Old English Sheepdog, they were good but I can't seem to find any online.