Sanding on Canal

Featured Posts

Hello,

New boat owner here.  If this subject has been tackled before, please feel free to point me toward that thread.

The stern of our trad is rather rusty, so my understanding is that I need to sand it, apply rust treatment and then paint.

As my boat is in the water, how do I sand it without causing damage to the water/ wildlife?  Is it suitable to use a hand sander with a vacuum attachment?

Thanks,

Gemma

Not if it's an electric one - it'll stun the fish - or more importantly - yourself! ........

If there's a lot of sanding to be done, methinks it's better to have the boat out of the water where it can't move around.

1 hour ago, Ghemmie said:

Hello,

New boat owner here.  If this subject has been tackled before, please feel free to point me toward that thread.

The stern of our trad is rather rusty, so my understanding is that I need to sand it, apply rust treatment and then paint.

As my boat is in the water, how do I sand it without causing damage to the water/ wildlife?  Is it suitable to use a hand sander with a vacuum attachment?

Thanks,

Gemma

Gemma 

What a star you are. In reality though whilstever air travel pollution is growing at the alarming rate it presently is and with the pollution caused by making loads of Lithium batteries for " Green " motor cars and the huge growth of pollution in ever expanding so called third world countries, I doubt your contribution will bring along the premature demise of anything whatsoever :cheers:

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Ghemmie said:

Hello,

Thanks,

Gemma

I cant see a problem with grinding rust, especially with a vac attached,  as long as it doesn't go all over another boat or property, as once happened to mine!
Nasty chemicals need keeping out of the water. The rust converters that don't need rinsing are the best from that perspective.

I always feel really guilty when I sand and all the paint dust goes into the water. Its much better to use a drydock and let it just fall safely onto the muddy floor.....but hold on, next time they empty the drydock its very likely that this all flows straight back into the canal :)

.............Dave

24 minutes ago, dmr said:

I always feel really guilty when I sand and all the paint dust goes into the water. Its much better to use a drydock and let it just fall safely onto the muddy floor.....but hold on, next time they empty the drydock its very likely that this all flows straight back into the canal :)

.............Dave

:) Certainly true at wigan drydock! 

Hello all,

Thanks very much for your replies.  I don't have a large area to sand so it's not worth dry docking it, but I do want to stop as many contaminants as possible going in the water.  So I will go with my original plan and attach the vac handle.  But I will now be extra cautious not to drop it in the water.  I have a fairly wide pontoon and can work from inside with the vacuum hooked up.  Fingers crossed I don't make too much of a pigs ears of it!

It strikes me that when the dust gets into the water (and it will) it will sink to the bottom. It will consist mostly of dried paint and particles of iron oxide. There is an awful lot of both already in contact with the water all over the place -- the stuff that is still attached to a boat -- so I can't believe it is particularly harmful to the environment. 

I'd say just go for it, but don't do it near anyone else's bote. 

• Happy 2