Featured Posts

Hi gang,

Just trying to get an idea of what might be going on with my water system, so I can decide what to do next.

We have a 36ft trad.  The water tank is at the front under the bow, calorifier under the bed toward the back and overflow pipe into the bilge at the back.

Problem is only happening when there is water in the water tank.  There is a step up from the cabin to the bow.  Sometimes we are finding a significant amount of water pooling around the step.  Inside the step is dry, the back of the step is dry.  I am not sure where the water is coming from, other than I have a hunch it's from the main tank.

The water pump makes a whirring sound every 5 to 10 minutes.

The overflow pipe into the bilge is continuously dripping and the bilge needs emptying every 2 days. 

I have, for now, emptied all the water from the tank and switched off the water pump.  I've left it for a week and there is no water in the bilge.

Any ideas/ experience would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Gemma

Hello Gemma,

If the pump is running every 5 to 10 minutes, then there is a leak downstream from it. If the overflow pipe in to the bilge is dripping, then this is most likely the cause and is from a pressure relief valve (PRV) on the calorifier. These can get bits of grit, or scale on the valve seat sometimes. They look like this. Turn the red knob on the end to allow more water to flow through momentarily. This often clears the scale and allows it to seal properly, stopping the drip. If it does not, then you might need another one. Another possibility is that the water pump has been replaced with one with too high a shut off pressure, or the PRV has been replaced with one with too low, so the water pump is opening the PRV. PRV pressure should be the same, or less than (not more than!) the calorifier designed working pressure and the pump pressure should be a little less than the PRV opening pressure.

The water at the bow steps is likely a different problem. Could be rain water, canal water, or tank water. Water can travel a long way before it pools, but it does flow from bow to stern (downhill) in most narrowboats.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

It does sound like the PRV causing the overflow drip and the pump cutting in, and the two issues described are unlikely to be related.  But I'm not clear where this "pooling" water is exactly, can you be a bit more specific Gemma?  is it inside or outside the boat?  Also what sort of tank do you have ie is it integral or separate?

I agree with Jen re. the PRV. 
I had pools of water next to the tank which turned out to be a combination of problems (assuming this is a free standing water tank?):

The flexible inlets and breather were leaking on ours over the winter, which I replaced with new flexes and clips (I got those clips that are better than jubilee clips but forget the name.) Still pools of water but not as bad. It turned out to be condensation so I insulated the tank wherever I could get at it. This has seen a massive but not quite 100% cure. 
Disposable nappies do the rest.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Ghemmie said:

Hi gang,

Just trying to get an idea of what might be going on with my water system, so I can decide what to do next.

We have a 36ft trad.  The water tank is at the front under the bow, calorifier under the bed toward the back and overflow pipe into the bilge at the back.

Problem is only happening when there is water in the water tank.  There is a step up from the cabin to the bow.  Sometimes we are finding a significant amount of water pooling around the step.  Inside the step is dry, the back of the step is dry.  I am not sure where the water is coming from, other than I have a hunch it's from the main tank.

The water pump makes a whirring sound every 5 to 10 minutes.

The overflow pipe into the bilge is continuously dripping and the bilge needs emptying every 2 days. 

I have, for now, emptied all the water from the tank and switched off the water pump.  I've left it for a week and there is no water in the bilge.

Any ideas/ experience would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Gemma

My tank has an isolator right by the exit pipe and before the pump (which in my case is at the tank). If you turn off this isolator and then fill the tank, you can just wait. If there is no pool around the step you will know that the tank is not leaking.

This is a simple test and you will at least be confident that your tank is/ is not to blame.

• Happy 1

Hello all,

Thanks for your replies.  Jen I tried the PRV and it is still happening so I think I may have to look into your next solution and possibly get it replaced.

As for the pooling being a separate problem, I think I'm going to have to get an expert to look more into this.  As I am totally new to boating, I just don't have a clue at the moment.  Whilst I don't mind messing about with painting, maintenance and fittings and fixtures, I don't think it's a good idea for me to mess with water and electrics.  

At least, with your replies, I'll be able to ask the right questions and sound like I know what I'm on about!