Engine identification help please

mbt

Featured Posts

Hi

New to this and seeking some help please. My son has bought a boat with a BMC engine. Will attach a couple of photos. The alternator is not working and we need to order a new one to take to help with some maintenance and any advice on what to order and best place greatly appreciated. Also need a new instrument panel. Thanks in advance for any help.

B4439785-7379-4273-86BF-F4E5A6ED4648.jpeg

B48F9B7C-BD17-4F1B-82DB-371319478908.jpeg

439E9978-7A4B-466D-A6D7-236F1CA17E93.jpeg

F68A209E-5E9E-4E0E-8FF5-D75B218B4191.jpeg

7D7A5700-D571-4502-9780-6D729CF72FAC.jpeg

Edited by mbt
Typo

It's a BMC 1500 with a PRM 260 gerbox

The alternator isn't specific to that engine, that one seems to have some sort of aftermarket thing fixed to the back

You'll need to make an instrument panel, although I can't see what's wrong with that one

Richard

Thanks Richard for quick reply. The instrument panel isn’t working but maybe just needs new parts. Would be good to keep the original so thanks for suggestion. 

Regards the alternator do you have any advice which one to buy as a replacement?

The Alternator looks like an old Lucas ACR unit with its big black plastic caseing on the back missing. and was probably correct with the age of the engine, but probably with an output of no more than about 45a. Direct replacement is the A127, 50-70a.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The Alternator looks like an old Lucas ACR unit with its big black plastic caseing on the back missing. and was probably correct with the age of the engine, but probably with an output of no more than about 45a. Direct replacement is the A127, 50-70a.

If you should need another yours is what they call right handed, as depicted, the one on the left.

alternator-mountings.jpg

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

If you should need another yours is what they call right handed, as depicted, the one on the left.

alternator-mountings.jpg

didnt they come in different lengths depending on the output?

bestto take it with you when going to buy another to check the physical size (plus of course they may give an allowance on the old one)

Edited by Phoenix_V

51 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

didnt they come in different lengths depending on the output?

bestto take it with you when going to buy another to check the physical size (plus of course they may give an allowance on the old one)

They did. That BMC engine should have an horizontally adjustable top rear bracket with elongated bolt slots to account for it.

20 minutes ago, bizzard said:

They did. That BMC engine should have an horizontally adjustable top rear bracket with elongated bolt slots to account for it.

I would say a sliding distance piece in the top rear alternator bracket rather than slots. I am sure an A127 would go straight on but you might have to ease the distance piece back before it will.

23 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would say a sliding distance piece in the top rear alternator bracket rather than slots. I am sure an A127 would go straight on but you might have to ease the distance piece back before it will.

Yes Tony and that too. There should be an adjustable bracket with horizontal bolt slots bolted to the engine block for the top rear alt mounting nut and bolt.

Thanks for all the help.

I was going to order one online to take when visiting boat at weekend near Islington but now realise will need to find a supplier nearby to match up the exact replacement. So next question is any advice on where to source one in Islington area on a Saturday morning?

1 hour ago, mbt said:

Thanks for all the help.

I was going to order one online to take when visiting boat at weekend near Islington but now realise will need to find a supplier nearby to match up the exact replacement. So next question is any advice on where to source one in Islington area on a Saturday morning?

Google ''Car spares Islington''  and then ''Yell'' and you'll get a list of them, like  Clarkins are good.

Edited by bizzard

there is a good chance the old alternator just needs a brushes /regulator unit............cost under 10 quid ...........for a new alternator ,cheapest place is an auto parts discounter.........very dearest would be an auto electrical who specializes in vintage Lucas stuff

Clarkins would be my first choice, they are very well known and very helpful. But they are in Forest Rd Walthamstow, a bus ride from Islington. Give em a ring. 0208 527 2171. Don't forget you need a a RIGHT HAND one, either an ACR or a A127.

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

Clarkins would be my first choice, they are very well known and very helpful. But they are in Forest Rd Walthamstow, a bus ride from Islington. Give em a ring. 0208 527 2171. Don't forget you need a a RIGHT HAND one, either an ACR or a A127.

They are opposite my Dentist, about a twenty minute walk from Walthamstow Central Victoria Line station

Thanks for all the help.

8164B538-049F-4CDE-8BA9-431FB8E96D7F.jpeg

Mission accomplished. Huge thanks for all advice. Clarkins were brilliant. 

First job ticked off the list ?