Hacking attempts

Featured Posts

3 times this evening I have received the following email.

##Hi Boater Sam, 

We have detected 3 failed log in attempts to your account from London, England, EC2V, United Kingdom. 

If this wasn't you, someone else may be trying to access your account. These log in attempts were unsuccessful. You may however want to change your password for greater security, especially if you use the same password on other websites. 

If this was you, you can safely ignore this email and you will be able to sign in again at 05/19/19 20:45. ##

As I have changed the password  3 times, and they are still trying to hack my account I am going to close my account now.

Any posts after this time are not mine!

Bye all.

Sam.

Perhaps you have a cached old password and are generating these failed login attempts yourself.

Just because you might not be in London doesn't mean your IP address isn't detected as being in London, it depends how your telecoms provider are set up as to where it will show your location.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is a common trap. Announce you leaving, give it a few days then come back and read all about yerself!!!

But then, to quote Oscar Wilde,"..There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about...":)

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

But then, to quote Oscar Wilde,"..There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about...":)

And what better way to ensure you get talked about than to pick a fight then flounce off...

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

This isn't the first time Sam mentioned hacking attempts - has anybody else had a hacking attempt? I never have....... bad cough once but no hacking. 

I don't see why deflected attempts to hack in would make anyone decide to say they are gonna close their account. Especially someone bright enough to know accounts here cannot be closed by the member. Dunno if mods can do it.

I smell an ulterior motive or a game being played. 

59 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Especially someone bright enough to know accounts here cannot be closed by the member. Dunno if mods can do it.

Yes they can.

A good friend used to have an account here, had a series of arguments and run ins with Gibbo et al and flounced.  He then demanded that his account and all his posts were removed from the site, which left some very baffling threads ...

Last night my account on here appeared to be hacked, in that I was unable to write anything, this went on for a few hours, then a kind membr on TB suggested he would send me a pm, which worked, how he knew I am LadyG on here remains a secret of the sock drawer. ?

Edited by LadyG

I think a mod can't do it, just in case they get too uppetty [moi? non!].

There are admin powers which can be invoked at a higher level.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes bear in mind Sam cannot close his account, so is likely to be logging in still and reading everything anyone might say about him since claiming to have left. 

He does not need to log on to read any comments, the site can be read from beyond the pale ?

Admin and moderators have access to his real identity and his real email, they would personalise the message, eg if he registered his name as Mr P. Ian Assets , that would be how he would be addressed, OK now Boater Sam?

newsflash, ASDA are bringing me a mobile phone instead of my usual weekly addiction to food. You  can expect lots of questions, first one is, do I have a cooling off period, as I am not sure I want them spying on me,. It's not a Huawei, but who knows how many things are badged these days. If you check out ASDA mobile deals you will see how much better their deals are than any other, they use EE network.

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, Tumshie said:

This isn't the first time Sam mentioned hacking attempts - has anybody else had a hacking attempt? I never have....... bad cough once but no hacking. 

Yes, I recall him mentioning it a couple of months back.  Seem to think he believed it to be from somewhere in Canada?  Or I could have made that bit up.....?

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I think a mod can't do it, just in case they get too uppetty [moi? non!].

There are admin powers which can be invoked at a higher level.

He does not need to log on to read any comments, the site can be read from beyond the pale ?

Admin and moderators have access to his real identity and his real email, they would personalise the message, eg if he registered his name as Mr P. Ian Assets , that would be how he would be addressed, OK now Boater Sam?

newsflash, ASDA are bringing me a mobile phone instead of my usual weekly addiction to food. You  can expect lots of questions, first one is, do I have a cooling off period, as I am not sure I want them spying on me,. It's not a Huawei, but who knows how many things are badged these days. If you check out ASDA mobile deals you will see how much better their deals are than any other, they use EE network.

Be careful, you’ll have a cooling off period but your monthly bills (should you get any contract) will be set in motion. I got caught out on this earlier in the month. 

The bill has now been recredited. 

Hi all

I too occasionally receive a hacking attempt notification.  It came from hello@canalworld.net.  Is this a kosher address and email?

Wierdly the notification was sent to a different address to the one I have set on my profile.

Can the admins shed any light on what is happening?

Regards

Ditchdabbler

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Be careful, you’ll have a cooling off period but your monthly bills (should you get any contract) will be set in motion. I got caught out on this earlier in the month. 

The bill has now been recredited. 

Well, I can still cancel the phone, its £60 from asda groceries. I don't have a contract with it, its just a handset, the sim was a free offer, no idea what I do with it,

The asda mobile is a contract, but according to comparison things it is by far the best deal, and it uses EE network.

Actually I might try my EE sim in my new phone, that might work?

Just stick with PAYG , but now I have no landline my local calls will be at the full rate, that's why I went for an asda mobile contract, as I will be using my mobile instead of my landline, I think my total call bill is about "£15 pcm, and my payg averages £5pcm, so if I can get unlimited [or more than I would expect to use] for £20pm, that would be a good outcome. am I waffling?

Anyways, an hour later and I have managed to buy a pack, certainly not for the fainthearted. 

£10, 30 days rollover ,  cancel anytime, and 250 minutes. Sounds OK

Edited by LadyG
  • Happy 1

50 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Yes, I recall him mentioning it a couple of months back.  Seem to think he believed it to be from somewhere in Canada?  Or I could have made that bit up.....?

There was some playfulness that he had missed going on. Someone had quoted him and edited what he said in the quote

He didn't understand that could be done and assumed he had been hacked

Richard

• Happy 2

3 hours ago, ditchdabbler said:

Hi all

I too occasionally receive a hacking attempt notification.  It came from hello@canalworld.net.  Is this a kosher address and email?

Wierdly the notification was sent to a different address to the one I have set on my profile.

Can the admins shed any light on what is happening?

Regards

Ditchdabbler

That sounds more like a phishing attempt, but we do need @RichM to comment.